This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axle tag ID

I'm trying to confirm the rear end on the 65 Daytona parts car is a 44 (you never know-it could have been swapped out in the past) and I removed the rear axle tag. After scraping away all the dirt and rust I see a "43-14" as well as 3.07 . Know I know the 3.07 is the axle ratio (which seems kind of lame for a Daytona). Can anyone decipher the other numbers? My jack gave up the ghost so I can't get right under the rear end to try to find the "44" on the gusset [}]
    The car was a 283/auto. Is a 3.07 correct for this application?
    Thanks
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

I'm trying to confirm the rear end on the 65 Daytona parts car is a 44 (you never know-it could have been swapped out in the past) and I removed the rear axle tag. After scraping away all the dirt and rust I see a "43-14" as well as 3.07 . Know I know the 3.07 is the axle ratio (which seems kind of lame for a Daytona). Can anyone decipher the other numbers? My jack gave up the ghost so I can't get right under the rear end to try to find the "44" on the gusset [}]
    The car was a 283/auto. Is a 3.07 correct for this application?
    Thanks
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
    The 43 is the number of teeth on the ring gear and 14 is the number of teeth on the pinion. 43 divided by 14 is 3.07. That ratio sounds correct to me for a V8 auto.

The "44" will be cast on the web between the right axle tube and the differential center section. I don't know any other way to tell for sure if it's a 44.

-Dick-
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The 44 is just physically BIGGER than the 27. But of course, that doesn't mean much if you don't have a sense of how much smaller the 27 is or don't have one to compare your 65's rear to.
      By rights, it SHOULD be a 44 and I'd bet that it really is[^]

The fact that it's a 3.07 is good if you like gas mileage. It and the 3.31 were the most commonly seen in regular fare cars from Studebaker.

Pull the refill plug out of the rear cover and look into the innards. If you see the ribbed clutch housing almost up against the fill hole, it's a Twin Traction rear. That would be cool![]
      Still, just the fact that it's a flanged axle unit makes it a neat score![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Take a look at this older thread. I was looking for similar info on my 65 Commander.

It has some picture links that might be helpful.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll climb under tonight and do more investigating. I only have shop manuals up to '64 and if I am reading things correctly, it looks like (at least in '64) only the Dana 27 had 3.07 gears (and that's a model 64V body type F2 F4 Y2 Y4 Y8 J8). This car is a Daytona and it has all the V8 emblems etc however it only has drum brakes on the front. I thought disc brakes were standard?
          Also, are there differences between the 6 cyl leaf springs and the 8 cyl springs? I am assuming there are which means I'll need to swap those as well.
          Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Todd, my '64 Daytona came with a 289 V-8, a 4-speed, and a Dana 44 with the same 3.07 rear gear. I think that 3.07 is a common gear even in V-8 applications. I haven't pulled the drain plug on mine either, but there is no mention of 'Twin Traction' on my build sheet.

My car has disk brakes, but I'm not sure at what point (if any) that the disks were standard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The disc brakes never were "standard".
              According to the 65-66 parts book, nothing but a 44 came behind a V8 - that includes 3.07 ratio. Some special order or heavy duty 6 applications got a 44 but most 6s got the type 27.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote: According to the 65-66 parts book, nothing but a 44 came behind a V8 - that includes 3.07 ratio.
                That may be the case with the '65s. I don't know one way or the other. But, prior to that, Studebaker did provide some V8 equipped sedans with model 27 rear axles. There used to be several surplused government cars (Studebakers) around here that were all equipped with v8 engines, automatic transmissions, and model 27 rear ends (all 3.07:1 ratio as I recall). Dale

Comment

Yup, 64 and earlier, a 259 usually worked a type 27 rear. Not so after 64

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

YEAH, MY '64 259 DAYTONA W/4SP CAME WITH A FACTORY INSTALLED MODEL 27 3.07 TT. IT A LITTLE PUNKY ON TAKE OFF, BUT WHAT GREAT MILEAGE!!

Comment

Working...
                    X