This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Studebaker Bell Housing

The engine in our 51 Studebaker restoration project is shot and I am looking at a replacement. I found one which by the numbers should be a 51, however while the engine looks just like the one I have, the bell housing is different. The casting number from the bell housing from the one I am looking to purchase (I think it is a casting number) is 519226-8 or 519228-8 (it's not real clear). The casting number on our bell housing is 528084. The one I have takes a single rear engine mount bolted on with two large bolts. The mounting surface on the one I am looking at has two extended bosses extending downward from the bottom of the housing about one inch and looks like it might take seperate rear mounts. My concern is that my bell housing might not bolt up, even though it looks like it will. Can anyone identify what application the bell housing on engine I have found might be for? Sorry for being so long winded.

I don't know my casting numbers, but it sounds like you're describing a truck bellhousing. I am sure that someone would want it if you don't!

BTW don't forget to "dial-in" the bellhousing if you swap.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The casting numbers mean nothing as far as identifying them. But the housing with the two big bolts securing one mount is for a stick shift car and the housing with two seperate mounts is for an automatic tranny installation.
      Is this a Commander or a Champion[?]

Don't know why you'd apologize for being "Long-winded".[}] The more info you give, the better we can answer!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The car is a Champion G10 W3 and we will be using the three speed manual transmission with overdrive. The seller has a tranmission which goes with the deal which for sure a manual tranny and looks just like the one I have. The engine is mounted in a home made engine stand where it can be run and bell housing has the clutch activation fork (currently without the throwout bearing) and a clutch pressure plate mounted inside, so I am fairly sure it's not for an automatic. I can provide email pic's to anyone who can solve this mystery if you post your email address.

Comment

I sent you an e-mail.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I sent you an E-mail.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Jerry sent me photos of the two bellhousings and the difference is that the one with the two "bosses" is for a 50 and earlier Champion stick shift car.[8D]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Hi Jerry, I think that your housing may be off of a 1948-49 Champion.If memory serves me well yes there were two studs that attached to a single mount via two nuts then bolted with two 3/8ths into crossmember, the mount kinda lookes like a ford trans mount, about 8 inches long?????? When I was 15 years old I took one apart.,It seems to me also that the front motor mounts were alot nicer than the 50-51 versions. The newer units would come apart in time due to oil (vulcanized) the older units were like the flathead ford v8. bolted through two rubber biscuits, castle nuts and cotter pins. Tom.

Comment

The same B/H was used on Champions from '47 thru '50. Two rear mounts. In '51 it was changed. One rear mount.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I am nearly certain now that the engine in question will bolt up to my 51 bellhousing, which I will have to dial in when I change it, if I proceed.

Comment

Working...
                    X