This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankshaft Socket for V-8 snout

Anyone know the size of the V-8 crankshaft snout? Or a crankshaft socket hub that will fit over the snout and allow me to turn the crank with a degree wheel attached. Comp Cam offers a crankshaft socket # 4799 for chrysler/olds but am unsure if it will fit the stude V-8. Thanks.

Start and Stage Your Studebakers

The nut takes a 1 1/2" socket. The crank snout is 1 3/8". Some of the degree wheels need the center hole reamed out to get the stude bolt (11/16")through it.

Ted

Comment

Ok, thanks. Looks like I can make the ford socket work because that fits a 1.385 snout and has the 3/16 keyway slot. Having the problem of trying to turn the crank and at the same time have a place to mount the degree wheel with adjustable/lock movement control of the degree wheel for TDC.

Comment

What about with the engine in place? I have a '61 259 Lark engine in my Willys Wagon that has been sitting for a few years. I want to turn it over by hand in lieu of grenading it right off the bat. The nut is larger than 2-1/4"; that's the largest socket I have.

Jeep guy with a Studebaker 259.

Comment

The problem with turning the engine with the crank bolt, is that the
          metal plate thats supposed to be under the head of the bolt is bent
          out to "lock" the head of the bolt from loosening. When you stick a
          socket on there, it wont sit flush, and can strip the head of the bolt
          when you try and turn the engine (depending how tight the engine is).
          You can bend the metal back flat, but keep in mind that it will break
          eventually if you do it often. They sell the correct socket at Sears
          and you need a 3/4 drive adapter for your 1/2 drive rachet.

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Jeepguy, that big bolt takes a 1&1/2" socket. If yours has something bigger than that, it's not original.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yep. It's 1-1/2". I just checked it again when I got home. I thought the socket I tried was 2-1/4"; it was 1-1/4"...duh. I see what you mean about the folded over tabs. I'll be careful.

Thanks everyone.

Jeep guy with a Studebaker 259.

Comment

Working...
              X