Thread: Wiper arm removal

iceman_t1

Wiper arm removal

I need to remove the wiper arms so I can remove the windshield on my 56 President Classic. I loosened the nut at the base of the wiper arm but it won't come off. I have the shop manual but it doesn't give me any clues what to do next. What am I missing?

Proud owner of a 1956 President Classic

Silver Hawk Member
    You trying to remove the arm or the spindle? The arms are simply pressed onto splined hubs that are part of the spindles. Usually one can remove the arms without any tools, simply by lifting the arm up away from the glass, to the limit of its travel, and then using a thumb to apply a little upward pressure 180 from the arm side. Really tight ones may need a little screwdriver pressure. You can probably buy a "wiper arm removing tool" from a good automotive supply shop, but honestly, I've never owned one. If I ran an auto glass shop, I'd get one, though.

If you want to remove the spindle itself, you have to remove that fancy thin-wall nut. It's an octagon nut, if I remember right. CAREFUL use of an adjustable wrench usually works for me. Once the nut is off, the spindle can still be stuck pretty tight due to years of age on the rubber gasket. Try holding a block of wood against the end of the spindle, and hitting it with a rubber mallet.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

President Member
    The wiper arm slips onto the knerled wiper drive, there should be a small sprig tension tab that keeps pressure on the wiper drive. I you pull straight out at the base of the wiper arm it should come off, but it may need a little assistance by applying pressure from the bottom.

Studebaker Fever
    60 Lark
    51 Champion
    Phil

Deactivated
    Thanks for the info. I'll try again in the morning.

Lift the spring-loaded aprt of the wiper arm up with one hand. Then grab the hub of that arm with your other hand and rock it gently while pulling it off the shaft. It should pluck right off - leaving shaft, nut, bezel, leather washer and all behind.
    The chromed bezel behind that nut you loosened, has a locator nub cast into it that has to fit into a slot in the cowl metal when you go to tighten that nut back up - which by the way, I'd tighten back up BEFORE you try to remove the wiper arm.
    Be careful with that leather washer. It's gonna be brittle after all these years but it should still function if it's aligned with the bezel and the locator nub before you tighten everything back up.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Deactivated
    I finally got them off. Now I see that clip that holds it on.

I was going to say Iceman only wants to remove the arms to remove the windshield, not the complete pivot shaft. Sometimes too much information confuses the issue. Moot point now.