This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine paint confusion

I have a 53 HT and have begun repainting some of the engine attachments. The engine block is supposed to be olive green, and the valve covers and brackets are black. I ordered the 53 green engine paint from StudebakerParts.com and it looked like a VERY dark olive. Looked like black if you squinted. I tried Stude-international and their paint was slightly lighter and slightly more forest green, but still very dark.

John Bridges has b&w photos of engines in his book on the 53-54's and the blocks look much lighter than the black valve covers. All the 53 literature has color renderings of a much lighter green engine, and the original accessories booklet has a b&w picture that shows the block noticeably lighter than the black valve covers.

Chuck from StudebakerParts was willing to take back the paint, but says he sells his paint to Bill Cathcart and he's never heard anything about the color. It's nothing critical, but I'd like to get the right color. The engine and transmission are original, and I don't believe they've ever been repainted. Check out this color on the transmission, http://racingstudebakers.com/copperm...e.php?pos=-486
    it matches the very worn flakes and remnants on the engine block. Could that be the original engine color? Eventually the entire car will get restored, but I want to make sure I start out on the right foot. Does anyone have any original engine paint photos, or knowledge of the original color?

G. Howes

As an additional reference - for what it's worth the 1/43 scale Franklin Mint model of the 53 has a green painted engine and transmission that's very close in color to the photo of my transmission.

G. Howes

Comment

That green in the picture is not anywhere near right. I don't suppose you're old enough to remember the old green Bell Telephone trucks - but they were just about the right color - or an old Army jeep's color (the vehicle - not it's engine).
      I seriously doubt Chuck's or Ed's paint is far off. But that in your photo sure is.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I will have to agree with Mr. Biggs on that one.

Comment

The correct color paint is similar to or the same as that used on Packard engines. I used the Packard engine green when I repainted '53 Studebaker engines. The color should be an exact match to what old style basic 30 weight engine oil was. That is why the color was used. It was so engine oil leaks didn't show up on the engine. Now all you need is one of us that remembers 30 weight oil green.

BTW, the green in your picture is definitly not correct. It is way too light. The correct color is quite dark.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the info. Although there are many shades of army green, this photo is close to the color from StudebakerParts, http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Poster/M38.html and it just seems too dark. The S-I color slightly lighter and very slightly more forest green, but still dark. This ma bell phone truck http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/oldphotos_8.html may be closer to what you were talking about. I did find photos of an original 16,000 mile 1937 stude engine I found at this site http://www.pbase.com/redtop/image/8722217 and the repainted version http://www.pbase.com/redtop/image/8914222 so I'll check with them. Thanks again.

G. Howes

Comment

I have a 51 that was garaged from new and only had 16,000 miles on it when I got it in 1986. The engine paint was never exposed to ultraviolet. Chuck's engine paint color from studebakerparts.com is as close to right as you are going to get. The Bell telephone green is close, but not exact. If you want authentic, stick with Chuck's. Yes, it is very dark - the paint you are looking at that is lighter is probably faded from exposure to ultraviolet.

Comment

I can't testify as to Chuck's paint from firsthand experience, but I would bet on it, sight unseen.
                From the links you posted, the Bell truck looks like the right shade to me.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes Gary I can remember the bottles of 40W that had the metal tops that were cut with a balony slice on the top. We had them on the islands in metal racks like milk bottle racks standing sideways,it was the cheep oil 20 cents a quart and the brand was speedol. Customers used to asy throw in some of that Speed oil. They also had a reclaim for 10 cents a quart but if I remember right even they were diffrent colors.

Comment

I hope I'm not getting in on this topic too late, but I'll bet someone out there knows the answers to my questions regarding engine paint:

I'm restoring a '55 Speedster. It has auto trans, PB and PS. Can anyone tell me what colors the engine and it's components should be. I'd also like paint codes if anyone has them or knows where I might find them:

Block
                    Heads
                    Intake
                    Intake manifold valley
                    Water pump manifold

Generator - black (satin finish?)
                    PS Pump -
                    Hydrovac -
                    Valve covers - gold (but what paint code?)

Thanks in advance,

Jim

James D. Wilkerson

Comment

I hope I'm not getting in on this topic too late, but I'll bet someone out there knows the answers to my questions regarding engine paint:
                      I'm restoring a '55 Speedster. It has auto trans, PB and PS. Can anyone tell me what colors the engine and it's components should be. I'd also like paint codes if anyone has them or knows where I might find them:
                      Block
                      Heads
                      Intake
                      Intake manifold valley
                      Water pump manifold
                      Generator - black (satin finish?)
                      PS Pump -
                      Hydrovac -
                      Valve covers - gold (but what paint code?)

Depending on when it was built- the engine is either a dark teal color or turquoise
                      [ late is turquoise, I think, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong lol]

Thats the entire engine btw

Generator--starter- fan pulleys and blade-hydrovac are all a semi gloss black

Oil filter is black with an orange lid

Power steering pumps I have seen both black and blue, so I,m not sure

Air filter- valve covers- and oil fill cap are gold- but have no idea what the code is . {look at Duplicolor gold engine paint though ]

My '55 engine is turquoise and I used Duplicolor Pontiac blue on it.
                      Not the newer metallic blue, but the older turquoise, and its a very close match

Comment

For what it's worth, there is blue evident on the reservoir of the power steering pump of my '55 Commander. It is late enough that it had a 259 stock. I guess that means that turquoise would definitely not be correct for any pre-wraparound '55 cars and at least some post-wraparounds, and also that the PS pump must have been painted engine color. Now I can't remember if my car is a SB car or a Vernon car.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

RE: Speedster data
                          http://www.pavy.com/speedster3.html (be sure to play with the color selector)
                          Your engine's basic color could be Alberta Blue or Turquoise. I'd say check with a Stude parts vendor for the best match. They may even have a gold for sale.

Dwain G.
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks for the response! BTW, what is the 'pre wrap-around' and 'post wraparound'? What are the 'SB' and 'vernon' cars?

James D. Wilkerson

Comment

The early 1955 sedans had the same windshield as 1953-1954 sedans (pre-wrap around). Late 1955 sedans had a windshield that curved around into the door area like most cars of the time (wrap around). SB and vernon refer to the final assembly plant. SB is South Bend, Indiana built cars. Vernon is Vernon, California (sometimes referred to as Los Angeles, CA) built cars. Cars were also assembled in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and CKD (completely knocked down or others use other variations) cars had their final assembly in various locations around the World.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X