X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing auto trans and torque conv. in Avanti

I am posting for my dad...

He is replacing the flex plate in his 63 Avanti, it broke at every mounting point where the torque converter bolts on. So everything is out and we are putting it back together. The manual lists using an alignment tool to align the torque converter on the flex plate.

The tool shows that it mounts to the bottom of the bell housing and then has a cone that fits into the torque converter.

Does anyone know where to get this tool or how to get this all aligned up the right way.

We are guessing that this is the reason the flex plate broke in the first place. This tool wasn't used when the engine and trans were installed last time.

any advice would be great!!

TIA,
    Jake

I'm not much of an expert on automatics, but may I als osuggest dial indicating the hole in the bellhousing to the crankshaft? Esp. if the bellhousing is not original to the block.

Also I remember someone (Ray?) recommending making your own flexplate out of several sheets of thin stainless, apparently the thinner the metal the more resistant it is to misalignment/flex. I have never done that but it actually makes sense if you think about it.

just a suggestion

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Never heard of such a tool. If this Avanti is still using a Stude drivetrain, the bellhousing alignment needs to be checked. That's what does in the flex plates.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes it still has the stude drivetrain, R1. How do you make sure the bell housing is aligned?

Jake

Comment

if this transmission is the original ( i dont know anything about Avanti's, so I guess they came with auto trans ) then when you get the flex plate aligned with the torque converter, all you have to do is put the trans back in and align it with its original bolt pattern.
          sorry i dont know anything about this alignment tool, could this tool be typical for aligning any auto trans like a clutch alignment tool? and if it is couldn't you just get it at autozone, napa or something.
          also try this site http://www.studebakerparts.com/ and talk with Chuck, I've called this man for alot of different thing and he's always seemed to be able to help me out one way or another.
          good luck

Comment

jakeb,
            What you need to do is dial indicate the bellhousing to the crankshaft. That procedure is described in the shop manual under the Clutch section, Housing Alignment. You'd never thought to look there did you? There is a section there called 'Torgue Converter Housing'. I don't know if the tool you mentioned, J-6310, is available or not, or if it does the same thing. I suspect no to both. (Mr. Biggs, it is mentioned under Torgue Converter Replacement in the Flightomatic section). I hope this helps you Jake.
            Tim K.
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Heh-heh... You made me look, Tim. Yup, what that "tool" does for you, I have always done by eyeballin' the tangs that this "aligns" for you. That explains why I never sought one such device.

Now, dialin' in the bellhousing to the crankshaft - THAT! - I do, so long as I'm not using THE ORIGINAL bellhousing that came with THAT PARTICULAR engine.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Avanti manual Power-shift page 12 Fig. 14shows the tool and how to use it you also have to have tool J-2045 Alignment gauge.

Comment

Working...
                X