Thread: t86 trans.

foodbear

t86 trans.

I have two BW t86 transmissions, one is a rebuilt unit manufactured in 1949 without the tail extension, the other is a used 1964 model with the extension. The 1964 unit has a bad synchronizer in it. I was wondering if anyone knows if the parts from the old one will fit in the newer one? Also if anyone knows where i might be able to find the tools needed to take apart the transmissions. according to the shop manual the tools that I need are, J-4531-01 to protect the synchronizer, puller plate j-1298, and the universal puller j-8111. thanks in advance
    -glenn

also if anyone has a GOOD t86 non-overdrive with the extended tail housing that they want to sell, i might be interested depending on price.

Gonna be tough to find a NON-O/D T-86 from a Stude.

What parts are you curious about swapping? Almost certainly, the gear ratios of these two T-86s are different. Probably different input shafts too.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Deactivated
    Well i dont have a t-86, but i do have a t-96 no o/d out of my 63. not sure if it would be of any use though.

Commander Member
    Were the same Borg-Warner transmissions used in other makes as well as Studebaker? I would assume, and yes I have seen the breakdown of ass-u-me, that if other makes also used Borg-Warner you would not be limited to a transmission that originally came in a Studebaker. Pardon my ignorance, but wasn't Borg-Warner a division of Ford? Sorry for the bad word.

Steve, the B-W transmissions were used in other vehicles but at least on the T-10s (and the T-85 on which it was based) the input shaft and bearing retainer are unique to Studebaker. I ASSume (there's that word again) that that is true for the T-86 as well.

Now as for B-W being a subsidiary of Ford, no, they weren't although they did make a lot of automatic transmissions for them. There's a Studebaker-related story behind that as well...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Deactivated
    i was hoping to switch all of 'em, but i took the covers off both of them this afternoon, and alot will not interchange. however it looks as though the synchronizer is the same, and that is what i need most. does anyone know if that is the case. it just seems like a shame to canibalize a brand new rebuild for the synchro, but...

Gonna be tough to find a NON-O/D T-86 from a Stude.

What parts are you curious about swapping? Almost certainly, the gear ratios of these two T-86s are different. Probably different input shafts too.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    [/quote]

Commander Member
    Nate,

If the difference in the transmissions is the input shaft and bearing retainer, is it possible to take a transmission originally from another make and swap the Stude specific parts for the originals, provided the Stude input shaft and bearing retainer were in good shape? My motive for asking all these questions is not entirely selfless. I may have to deal with a similar issue in the future given my preference for manual transmission and my thing for Studebakers.

Steve

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Steve, the B-W transmissions were used in other vehicles but at least on the T-10s (and the T-85 on which it was based) the input shaft and bearing retainer are unique to Studebaker. I ASSume (there's that word again) that that is true for the T-86 as well.

Now as for B-W being a subsidiary of Ford, no, they weren't although they did make a lot of automatic transmissions for them. There's a Studebaker-related story behind that as well...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop

easy answer... I don't know

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop

Steve - foodbear just told us that even with two Stude-origin T-86s, there were significant differences. That should be a clue that T-86s from other makes of car would not be LIKELY to easily swap pieces.

Think of these tranny lines (T-86, T-96, T-85, etc., etc..) as "families". They bear alot of similarities, visual and technical. But to meet specific technical callouts from various car makers, changes were made as necessary to meet those specs.
    This allowed Borg-Warner to do business without having to totally design a new tranny for every application. And any parts that could be shared were an advantage towards keeping the unit costs low.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS