This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Traction Rear End?

Mr.Biggs said "Type 23 - type 27 - type 44 rears - all available with TT" is there some designation on the Tag or housing that tells you if it is a Twin Traction? What is a Dana 45 and 45C?

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Thanks Transtar 60- Just want to know what I am looking at and looking for!-Dan

Dallas,Texas

Comment

If it's a TT rear - when you remove the fill plug from the rear cover plate, you'll see the metal of the TT pack - RIGHT UP CLOSE to the fill hole. About a 1/2inch or so from it.

With a non-TT rear, you can not see anything close to the fill hole without really spying into the hole.[:I]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, since I was under the butt end of the 58 wagon yesterday, I decided to take some photos for enlightenment. Here's a shot of a DANA type 44's identifying mark. This is a "web" or "gusset" on the center section of the axle case. This "web" is cast into the case so as to strengthen the axle tube opening in the case casting. When you scrape the grease and grunge away, you'll find numbers to look at. ONE of these webs bears the model number such as you see here. The other 3 webs bear patent info or some other digits and logos. But the 44 (or 27 or 23 as the model warrants) is plainly cast into one web. In this case, it's the lower, passenger's side web - on the rearward facing side.

Here's another shot that might be a bit easier to see. I took time to make some notes for orientation on this one.

NEXT photo shows what you see if you remove the fill plug and the axle has the Twin Traction option. See how you can SEE the clutch pack just inside the fill hole?[B)]

Here's what a ratio tag looks like. This one not in the usual location as it's most commonly attached to one of the lower-most bolts that holds the rear cover on. Sorry that the focus is bad on a couple of these. There was hardly room for me to manuver under the car for optimum camera operation. This tag reveals (when you can see it's digits) that it's a 3.31 ratio rear. Probably Stude's most common match-up with an automatic tranny - from the mid-50s on.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS[:I]
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

great pics mr biggs.... if there is still a question..Spicer stamps abill of material number on top of axle tube passenger side again scrape off the crud this 6-digit number to a professional(with the right book) will tell u anything u want to know about the axle.

Comment

ABOVE and BEYOND Mr.Biggs! When you ask a question on this board, expect to get the answer and then some! I really Appreciate the pictures! I haven't looked at rear axle that hasn't had an inch of crude or been buried in the mud a foot or so!, but knowing what to look for and where makes a GREAT deal easier!-Thanks Dan

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Would you all think the dana44 with a 3.54 rear on a 51' commander is Stock and or have "Positraction"

Comment

Stock? - 44 - 3.54 - yes. Posi (TT) - no
                  Could someone have retrofitted such a rear to your car OR fitted TT parts? - yes. How to determine if this is the case insofar as the TT option goes? - go compare the view thru the filler plug with the photo I posted.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I'll have to do so. I think I remember it looking as such and I kinda recall a spider gear assembly of sorts. But in any case, would spinning one tire with the pinion yoke held, spin the other tire the same direction of the tire I'm spinning?

Comment

Working...
                    X