This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Draft Tube?

Has anyone out there ever converted their road draft tube crankcase vent to a more modern PCV setup? I've seen this done on a Y-Block Ford. And would there be any real benifit or drawback in doing this? Thanks

Darryl C. Lewallen

I think N8 has done it Darryl. I know it can be done and I personally think it's more beneficial for the engine.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Does the 259 ,v8, have a vent tube? I see something that looks like a pcv valve and hose coming to the carb.

Comment

I have not done it but it is fairly simple. You just need the little thingy that bolts to the valley cover in place of the road draft tube from a '63 engine and the corresponding PCV valve, and of course a carburetor with a port for it (an Edelbrock has one in just the right place.) I am using the finned valley cover that was previously on my '62 (early - with road draft tube) with an Edelbrock and PCV valve on my '55 coupe (with '63 full-flow engine) so it definitely is a bolt on and it seems to be working OK, although I wonder if a baffle under the hole in the valley cover might not be useful.

Curt - is you engine a full flow block? it sounds like you are describing the same PCV setup that I am. It was only used on some of the later V-8s though, I think it was introduced at about the same time as the full flow block.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I do not know the engine. The President is a later model, has the wrap around windshield. It sure looks like a hose from the top of the valley between the two cylinder banks to the carb, even looks like a pvc valve is attached to the hose, hose-pvc valve-hose in one straight run.

Comment

AC Delco (and a few other companies) made retrofit PCV kits for cars right around when PCV valves started coming OE.. Might even find some around in an old flaps... But is can be done easy enough without a kit. Remove the draft tube and install a rubber v/c grommet from a (gasp!) SBC in the valley cover and install a (choke!) sbc PCV valve with the hose running to a good intake manifold vacuum source. Get a push on breather cap (sealed)that has a vent tube on the side and run that to a small tube added to the air cleaner (inside the element area). That way any fumes that get out will be sucked into the carb and any blowby will be sucked into the intake.
            I've done several engines like that...
            Hope the info helps...
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by dclewallen

Has anyone out there ever converted their road draft tube crankcase vent to a more modern PCV setup? I've seen this done on a Y-Block Ford. And would there be any real benifit or drawback in doing this? Thanks

Darryl C. Lewallen
            DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
            '61 Hawk
            '37 Coupe Express
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Actualy, there's two different PCV adaptors that were used on late Stude V8s. One is basically an adaptation of the head of a road draft tube, wherein it has a hose barb sticking up out of it instead of having the draft tube down and to the side. The other style (less seen) also has an adaptation of the draft tube head with a threaded female port that a particular type of early PCV valve would screw into. Some also used a PCV valve that screwed into a threaded hole in the base of the carb too.

Then there's the R-series cars![:0]

Miscreant at large.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Agree with Nate, Jeff, and Mr. Biggs. Simply remove the road draft tube, and find/make a suitable fitting that will allow you to install a generic PCV valve and a hose to a full-time vacuum source.

FWIW, I have a '64 Wagonaire with a 259, and it had the factory PCV valve, but still suffered from excessive blowby. I drilled a hole in the FRONT of the valley cover (there is a baffle on the underside that runs nearly full-length), and wedged in an extra PCV valve. This really helped relieve crankcase pressure, and reduced the loss of oil out the valve covers. Kind of a stopgap measure, but it does bring home the point that a PCV valve is a worthwhile component on your engine.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The V-8 adaptors (which bolts to valley cover in place of the road tube) can still be bought NOS from SASCO. Part number 1551032 or 1557726.

1960 Lark Convertible
                  1962 GT Hawk
                  Dan Peterson
                  Montpelier, VT
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...
                  X