This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch and pressure plate swap???

Can I install a 10 1/2" clutch and pressure plate in place of the 9 1/8" one on my 53 232 V-8??? dclewallen

Darryl C. Lewallen

NO. The bellhousing's too small to accomodate that larger unit.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm going to be using a V-8 truck bellhousing. Can I use the larger clutch setup with it and the stock flywheel????

Darryl C. Lewallen
      Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dclewallen

I'm going to be using a V-8 truck bellhousing. Can I use the larger clutch setup with it and the stock flywheel????

Darryl C. Lewallen
        That's what I thought I remembered, (what Mr.Biggs said), but I think that you'll be fine with the V8 truck bellhousing.

Sonny
        Sonny
        http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Hey Darryl. My truck bellhousing has plenty clearance for the 10.5 clutch set-up and as for the original flywheel, I'm not sure because I am using a Webber aluminum version, but I would think there is enough surface area on the original.

Comment

What part # or application did you ask for when you got the pressure plate and clutch you are using?? This information would really be helpful when I walk into my local Carquest because telling them what I'm trying to do with it sure won"t be.

Darryl C. Lewallen

Comment

The question in my mind would be whether or not the bolt holes in the flywheel are spaced in such a way as to accept that larger pressure plate's bolt pattern. [:I]
              Also, how did you came to use a truck bellhousing instead of a later car BH? Did you see an advantage to this route or was it just what you could find? How will the rear motor mount(s) work out? Obviously, you're gonna have to engineer such, no? [?]

Miscreant at large.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The bolt spacing on the t-5 transmission I'll be using is about an inch or so wider on each side than the Stude trans and the truck bellhousing has a wide machined flat surface that allows for redrilling to accept the Ford pattern as opposed to welding ears on easc side. As for the rear motor mounts thats a bridge I'll have to fabricate when I get there. And whether or not the bolt holes will accept the larger pressure plate, I sure hope so or I might be looking for later flywheel.

Darryl C. Lewallen

Comment

This is probably what you want to look for. I bought this kit about five years back for a Champ pickup I was going to restore. No longer in the works.

Came with pressure plate (with the truck spring - extra gripping) 10 1/2 inch plate and throw-out bearing.

I think this cost me about $175 back in 2001.

Good luck

My 7E7 - Restored by my Uncle Denson in 1995

Comment

Hey Darryl check this site out as it has some great additional info on this swap including model numbers for the clutch. Mr. Biggs brings up a great point-you might have to swap out that flywheel. As for the bellhousing mount, I'm thinking of machining a small area on the bottom flat, then drilling and taping for use with a standard rubber tranny mount and universal crossmember.

Comment

wcarrol, Thanks for the mount idea. I've seen that site and it is probably the best one on this swap. I've printed it out along with one on the SDC site on this topic [plus I have one of Dick Datson's books that describes this swap]. Ted Harbit suggested if my current flywheel doesn't work, I switch to a 55 and up flywheel or to go to 12-volts with a 56-64 flywheel and starter. The 56-64 setup sounds like the best option. Does anyone out there have a 56-64 flywheel and starter to sell? Is this later 12-volt starter an item that would be available at my local parts store or maybe NAPA? Thanks again For all the help.

Darryl C. Lewallen

Comment

Working...
                      X