This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pertronix question.

I have a '61 289 in my '64 GT. I am installing a pertronix module and 40kv coil on it. I has the older Delco (no window) distributor. I understand to remove the condenser and point from the distributor, but I have what looks like a condenser also on the coil bracket. This one has a black wire to the - side of the coil. Does this on get removed as well? I hoping so because the wire broke off. I want to be sure before I try it.
    Thanks, Dave in IN

Dave in IN
    1964 GT Hawk

That's there just to try to control static in the radio David. You can just leave it there and see how it works or discard it altogether if you're not having static problems with the radio.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

I put the pertronix on the 289 in my '64 Lark type. Mileage went up about 2 mpg overall. But you can never get the dwell back to factory specs, or at least I can't. I'm hoping that isn't a problem.

Comment

Thanks Sonny, I got it fired up. Seems to run very smooth. I have the car on dollies so I couln't take it out, but I let it warm up and it seemed fine.
        I wondered about the dwell while doing the swap. I didn't have time to hook up the anylizer to see. Thats is a good point Leon.
        Thanks, Dave

Dave in IN
        1964 GT Hawk
        sigpic
        '89 Ford Festiva
        '90 Ford F250 4x4
        '18 Kia Soul
        '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
        '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Leon

I put the pertronix on the 289 in my '64 Lark type. Mileage went up about 2 mpg overall. But you can never get the dwell back to factory specs, or at least I can't. I'm hoping that isn't a problem.
          With the Pertronix in there you never have to worry about the dwell again Leon. Just forget it. That's the idea of replacing the points with the solid state stuff. In fact, you can't really set the dwell with the Pertronix module in there, you're just reading it on the meter, right? Just set your timing and you're all set'

Sonny
          Sonny

Comment

quote:Originally posted by David

Thanks Sonny, I got it fired up. Seems to run very smooth. I have the car on dollies so I couln't take it out, but I let it warm up and it seemed fine.
            I wondered about the dwell while doing the swap. I didn't have time to hook up the anylizer to see. Thats is a good point Leon.
            Thanks, Dave

Dave in IN
            1964 GT Hawk
            You're very welcome David. You're ok on the dwell.

Sonny
            Sonny

Comment

Well, I took the Hawk out today. Wow. What a difference. I also installed a new cap and rotor. No hesitation, seems like more power and smooth.
              I had one of these in my old '71 International pickup. It was burning a little oil, and the pertronix seemed to really help the plugs to not foul out. Very good. I think of all the time I spent with new points and getting everything just so, and still only got hohum results.
              I now have a '67 Econoline pickup with a 6 popper. It has a napa rebuilt dizzy in it now, with "new" South of the border guts. I really question the quality of some of that stuff. When that craps out I'm plunkin one of these babys in there and bein' done with it.

Dave in IN
              1964 GT Hawk
              sigpic
              '89 Ford Festiva
              '90 Ford F250 4x4
              '18 Kia Soul
              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Working...
              X