This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Engine Masters Competition

Every other year, the magazine "Popular Hot Rodding", in conjunction with "Engine Masters", (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/), sponsors a small block engine building competition. If you look at the competition website, you'll notice a couple of noteworthy things. First, there has been no Studebaker engines in the competition, and second, the engines that have previously competed put out some astronomical horse power and torque numbers. Don't be fooled though, the engines built for this competition are veryhttp://racingstudebakers.com/stl-web...wforum.php?f=9

You KNOW that Ken and I are in! Need an engine to start with? Parts? We gotta get Nemish or someone of his caliber on board. Ted, Bob, Jim, - you know who I'm talking about! Let's kick some small-block butt! [}]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks a million Bob! Now HOW did I know that you'd jump right in there with BOTH feet? I suuuuure hope we can talk a few of our stars to join in the fun, and by God, we're gonna have fun! []

Sonny
      Sonny
      http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

l help wherever I can Sonny, but in reading the rules, you can see that this is an advertising and marketing promotion designed to sell ad's in their magazine.... Shoot, name all the Studebaker 'commercially available' parts out there that would fit in 'their' rules....
        (copy of that part of the rulebook)

COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE
        "Commercially available" is defined as any engine component that is or was generally available for purchase by consumers prior to April 30, 2003 (the date of contestant selection). Contestants may be required to provide proof of purchase and/or undisputable proof of availability on any contested engine component(s) or face possible disqualification from the competition.

Man, that really ties your hands where it comes to headers, heads, and intake manifolding... Unless you want to offer up similar items for sale (and place an ad in their magazine)... But hey, that may not be a bad idea. Take a mini-ad out in one issue of their magazine and offer for sale just those components... You'd satisfy the rule and be able to use those parts. You'd just have to build up a few extra of everything.

Sounds like fun, and a challenge...
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Sonny

Every other year, the magazine "Popular Hot Rodding", in conjunction with "Engine Masters", (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/), sponsors a small block engine building competition. If you look at the competition website, you'll notice a couple of noteworthy things. First, there has been no Studebaker engines in the competition, and second, the engines that have previously competed put out some astronomical horse power and torque numbers. Don't be fooled though, the engines built for this competition are veryhttp://racingstudebakers.com/stl-web...wforum.php?f=9
        DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
        '61 Hawk
        '37 Coupe Express
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Uhm, I meant to have a chat with you about WHO was gonna be making and selling those items Jeffster. [] I think we have the fella who's a genius with heads, and didn't you mention something about a pipe bender and I noticed that you do one HELL of a job on intakes. Ah, do you think your ad will only have to run in one magazine?

Sonny
          Sonny

Comment

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Jeff has hit it on the head. It is really a vendor contest just to bring attention to their advertiser's adds. Still could do the project as the results would be fun and we might find out a new thing or two about performance mods.

53commander HDTP
              53 Champion HDTP
              64 Champ long bed V8
              64 GT
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

Jeff has hit it on the head. It is really a vendor contest just to bring attention to their advertiser's adds. Still could do the project as the results would be fun and we might find out a new thing or two about performance mods.

53commander HDTP
                53 Champion HDTP
                64 Champ long bed V8
                64 GT
                That, AND it would be nice to have a Studebaker team giving the whole of Studebakering a good shot in the international arm. [8D] Hell, even for nothing more than to let the brand-x crowd know that we're not the push-overs that they keep telling each other we are. [B)]

Sonny
                Sonny

Comment

I make a motion that we try and see if some of our favorite vendors would like to run small ads so that we technically qualify. Hell, I'd even throw in some bucks to BUY those ads for vendors if that's what it took.
                  As the tone of this is developing - maybe we WON'T even come close to "winning" - but they'll damned sure know we're here. And the magazine will have to AT LEAST give some acknowledgement to the world of Studebakering as more than just a sheet metal source! [}]

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Sonny

Comment

I'll build you whatever you need that I have the ability to build Sonny... And I will build a couple three and offer them for sale, just to satisfy 'the rules'..
                      I also believe that just the effort will draw attention to the cause... You may get ruled out, but I'd bet there's an article in that there story...
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Sonny

Uhm, I meant to have a chat with you about WHO was gonna be making and selling those items Jeffster. [] I think we have the fella who's a genius with heads, and didn't you mention something about a pipe bender and I noticed that you do one HELL of a job on intakes. Ah, do you think your ad will only have to run in one magazine?

Sonny
                      DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
                      '61 Hawk
                      '37 Coupe Express
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The donor engine looks very promising. Under the rules no boost is allowed so with only natural aspiration conditions I see the following engine change requirements. The compression is going to have to go way up. I am sure the current compression is down around 7.5:1. because it was designed to survive high boost. This will mean a piston change. The cam, though roller, mostly likely has a turbo grind on it and that also may need to be changed. Then the intake will need to be upgraded to a ram design and etc. Then testing will be needed, etc. A challenge for sure because whatever you build is going to be controlled by the parameters of the competition rules. If the requirements of the rules can be satisfied I think the focus should be on surviving the 10 dyno pulls with a respectable high torgue and hp numbers. We are at a 100 cubic inch displacement disadvantage on the first round and it is up hill from there.

Start and Stage Your Studebakers
                        Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

OK - OK...... I don't want to get TOO far ahead here. [] But I think we ought to paint this thing the OD green that Stude used for the year that their V8 was introduced. Sort of a "Plain Brown Wrapper" approach! [}][}][}] I'm thinkin' maybe "Ugly Green Thing. No gleaming chrome - black, painted valve covers and such. A literal "sleeper" of an engine! [}]

Miscreant at large.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

OK - OK...... I don't want to get TOO far ahead here. [] But I think we ought to paint this thing the OD green that Stude used for the year that their V8 was introduced. Sort of a "Plain Brown Wrapper" approach! [}][}][}] I'm thinkin' maybe "Ugly Green Thing. No gleaming chrome - black, painted valve covers and such. A literal "sleeper" of an engine! [}]

Miscreant at large.
                            I'd say that's a Capital idea! [8D]

Sonny
                            Sonny

Comment

Just a thought, but wasn't the R4 the most powerful naturally aspirated Stude V8? I believe it had a 12 to 1 or there abouts compression ratio. Maybe using it as a model would be a good starting place?

Dan White

Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              58 C Cab
                              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                              X