Road draft tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road draft tube

I noticed that my road draft tube is in fine shape normally they are rusted out on cars of diffrent makes, It looks like it's stainless steel however is it ever painted? All the other little shields from the starter spacer and the little shield in back of the road draft tube are galvanized steel, are these parts painted?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

OE was just steel.
    An option was the chrome dress up kit.
    Never saw a stainless steel one.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

I noticed that my road draft tube is in fine shape normally they are rusted out on cars of diffrent makes, It looks like it's stainless steel however is it ever painted? All the other little shields from the starter spacer and the little shield in back of the road draft tube are galvanized steel, are these parts painted?

Studebakers forever!
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The dress up kit was just valve covers with caps and dip stick, nothing to do with the draft tube..

64 Commander 2 dr.
      64 Daytona HT
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Hmmm..
        I bought (years ago) from a Stude guy a dress up kit that also had a chrome valley cover and road draft tube....But it did not come in a box, so I guess it must have been done 'outside' the AC system..
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JDP

The dress up kit was just valve covers with caps and dip stick, nothing to do with the draft tube..

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Well, sorta. The early Avanti engines had a chrome valley cover, but did not accept a draft tube of any kind.

64 Commander 2 dr.
          64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          63 Lark 2 door #2
          62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark HT
          60 Hawk
          59 3E truck
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I hate to ask but I am not sure what a road draft tube is. I know everyone is probably rolling their eyes to know there is someone so dumb out there. If it weren't for people like me how would you know your so smart? So thank me don't laugh at me

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sntsftbll

I hate to ask but I am not sure what a road draft tube is. I know everyone is probably rolling their eyes to know there is someone so dumb out there. If it weren't for people like me how would you know your so smart? So thank me don't laugh at me
              Just a tube that allowed vapors from the crankcase to be vented to the atmosphere. These vapors are mostly unburned hydrocarbons, so beginning in the mid-1960s, all cars had to be equipped with positive crankcase ventilation valves, which draw these vapors into the carb and burn them. PCV valves were required in Calif around 1961, and elsewhere in 1963 -- so some Studes are so equipped. Road draft tubes usually hang down from the back of the engine, and have some steel wool-like filter material in them.

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

It is a tube that allows crankcase fumes to be allowed a place to escape without getting oil mist or droplets on a visible part of the engine. The angled cut on the bottom makes for a low pressure area when the vehicle is moving, so the 'road draft' helps to pull the crankcase fumes out. After 1963 or 1964 all vehicles were mandated to have PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valves put in that took those same fumes and bled them back into the intake manifold where the cumbustion process burned the fumes up, thus polluting less (sort of)..
                Here's a pic of the road draft tube on a Stude V8 engine...
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by sntsftbll

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                Brooklet, Georgia
                '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                '61 Hawk (project)
                http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Jeff

Comment

Oh, okay I did know what it was. I just didn't know I knew. Never called it by that name, probably never called it by any name but I knew what it was. Thanks for not lauhghing at my stupidity

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]It is a tube that allows crankcase fumes to be allowed a place to escape without getting oil mist or droplets on a visible part of the engine. The angled cut on the bottom makes for a low pressure area when the vehicle is moving, so the 'road draft' helps to pull the crankcase fumes out. After 1963 or 1964 all vehicles were mandated to have PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valves put in that took those same fumes and bled them back into the intake manifold where the cumbustion process burned the fumes up, thus polluting less (sort of)..
                    Ok, so if I want to eliminate the road-draft-tube, what do I need? Simply have an aircleaner with a 3/8" stub-fitting attached and run a line from where the road-draft-tube exits the block up to the air cleaner?

Or is there more to it than that?

Karl

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

What you would need is a '63 PCV adapter to mount in place of the draft tube, p/n 1557726. Here's a pic of what it looks like:

It mounts where the draft tube used to, but instead has a right-angle nipple for the line back to the carb. The PCV valve is inline in the hose assembly that goes from the adapter to the carb.

A check of the SASCO website shows 'em in stock for around $20.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Also...
                        If you are running an AFB 4bbl carb, run the pcv line to the base of the carb rather than the fitting on the intake runner. There is a possibility of having that runner leg run a bit leaner due to the pcv leaking in crankcase fumes. Running the line to the base of the carb makes it even to all cylinders.
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

What you would need is a '63 PCV adapter to mount in place of the draft tube, p/n 1557726. Here's a pic of what it looks like:
                        It mounts where the draft tube used to, but instead has a right-angle nipple for the line back to the carb. The PCV valve is inline in the hose assembly that goes from the adapter to the carb.
                        A check of the SASCO website shows 'em in stock for around $20.

Jeff

Comment

Okay so, I'm managing this fleet of 23 trucks and, last month, one of the drivers tells me his is blowing oil out the dipstick and he thinks there's a problem with the road draft tube. I'm the first to admit I know less than a mechanic but I proceed to let him know draft tubes haven't been used since the early sixties so there certainly isn't one on a 2006 Mercedes MBE900.

Well, shut my mouth! Not only is there one, Daimler has already redesigned it because it's too long. Engine heat has dissipated before it reaches the end of the tube and internal engine humidity turns to frost and plugs the end of the tube. Crankcase pressure blows out the dipstick. Talk about a mess!

What's old is new. Will I live to see the day when injection is replaced by gravity fed carburization?
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

LOL... Probably do the same thing down here in the deep south, but it would be mud daubers.. They seem to like any kind of tube to crawl into and stop up.
                            (Last summer my a/c unit filled up with water inside and was sloshing and dripping cold water on the wife's shin's and shoes.. After looking and looking, I found the condensate drain line plugged with dauber mud. Unclogged it and got a face full of water shooting out of the tube.. Though about Legionaire's Disease and went and washed my face right away..[:0])
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Okay so, I'm managing this fleet of 23 trucks and, last month, one of the drivers tells me his is blowing oil out the dipstick and he thinks there's a problem with the road draft tube. I'm the first to admit I know less than a mechanic but I proceed to let him know draft tubes haven't been used since the early sixties so there certainly isn't one on a 2006 Mercedes MBE900.

Well, shut my mouth! Not only is there one, Daimler has already redesigned it because it's too long. Engine heat has dissipated before it reaches the end of the tube and internal engine humidity turns to frost and plugs the end of the tube. Crankcase pressure blows out the dipstick. Talk about a mess!

What's old is new. Will I live to see the day when injection is replaced by gravity fed carburization?

Jeff

Comment

OK, while we're on the subject. Is it better for the engine to run a road draft tube or PCV? 'Just wondering what the consenses opinion might be.

Steve Hudson
                              The Dalles, Oregon
                              1937 Dictator Streetrod
                              1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
                              1953 Commander Convertible
                              1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
                              The Dalles, Oregon
                              1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                              1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                              1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Working...
                              X