Sherwood Egbert's Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherwood Egbert's Avanti

I am seeking some information on the prototype R3 Avanti owned by Studebaker president Sherwood Egbert. Does any one know its VIN? Color of interior? Transmission? (I bet it was a four speed.) Does it still have its original engine?
    It sold at auction in 2009 for $78,000. Did that include the auctioneer's commission? And finally is the new owner known to SDC members? The new owner has a right to his privacy if he chooses of course but has he made himself known?
    Herb Price

If I recall correctly, his Avanti was early a body upgraded to a 64 and R3 engine (B98) in the engineering department.

JDP Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Here is a link to Bob Johnstone's website about the car.

Bob Langer
      Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Herb,

Egbert's Avanti Sold for $78K not including Buyer's premium. The VIN was 64R-4130, Black Interior, 4-Spd. The R3(B98) was a replacement engine for an earlier unknown "B" Series engine. I have some pics if you'd like to see.

Their are some questions and changes. The Build sheet lists a 4 spd, but the latest pics show an auto along with the odd dual serial numbers, however the registration showed 4130. Can't find any info on the original engine. It was a great price for a car with a lot of the unique Granatelli adds like the Supercharger remote cooling tank. The Halibrands look just great on an Avanti.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HNCadet

Herb,

Egbert's Avanti Sold for $78K not including Buyer's premium. The VIN was 64R-4130, Black Interior, 4-Spd. The R3(B98) was a replacement engine for an earlier unknown "B" Series engine. I have some pics if you'd like to see.

Their are some questions and changes. The Build sheet lists a 4 spd, but the latest pics show an auto along with the odd dual serial numbers, however the registration showed 4130. Can't find any info on the original engine. It was a great price for a car with a lot of the unique Granatelli adds like the Supercharger remote cooling tank. The Halibrands look just great on an Avanti.
          Was this car unrestored original or was it restored at some point. Seems like there was an auction car that went for a high value that Jon and Mike Myer worked on at one point but I can't remember.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

So how and when did this Avanti become an automotic? Can anyone explain the two VINs? The block that is in the car now is the original block the Granatelli's installed?

Comment

When R4130 was sent from the assembly line to the engineering department for modification it was an automatic, same as it is today. An image of the production sheet was posted on the SDC forum some time ago.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by herbpcpa

When R4130 was sent from the assembly line to the engineering department for modification it was an automatic, same as it is today. An image of the production sheet was posted on the SDC forum some time ago.
                Problem seems to be on the R-4131 Build Sheet which was originally typed as R-4130, then handwritten over as 4131. 4131 was a Black 4-spd. while 4130 was/is a Red Automatic. That 4131 handwritten Build sheet needs to be purged from my files.....too confusing.

Comment

Problem seems to be on the R-4131 Build Sheet which was originally typed as R-4130, then handwritten over as 4131. 4131 was a Black 4-spd. while 4130 was/is a Red Automatic. That 4131 handwritten Build sheet needs to be purged from my files.....too confusing.

Comment

So how and when did this Avanti become an automotic? Can anyone explain the two VINs? The block that is in the car now is the original block the Granatelli's installed?
                    Looks like the original engine was RS-2333(R-2), but the car was shipped to Eng for completion w/o an interior(04/19/63), later to be shipped to Calif.(Aug 15) perhaps for R3 changeover.

The B98 engine also shows up as installed in another Avanti(4041) but may just be a misprint. I saw 4041 at LaPalma in the past and I could not find the B98 stamping on the block.

Comment

The car was restored but not by Mr. Myer. At one point it was lime green.

Comment

This car was owned by Ray Norris in the mid eighties and restored by Gary Johnson / North West Avanti.
                        I believe it was done again by Jon Meyer after it was damaged.

mrbobinc
                        mrbobinc

Comment

I spent a good hour or so at the auction when it sold talking with the seller. His name is Gary Hess and currently lives in Palm City FL. He said he used to own the #9 car raced at Bonneville also. He was very interesting to talk to. He knew his Avanti history.

Comment

Yikes! I'd sure love to have that original R2 RS-2333 engine, since my car's VIN is 63R-2333. Right now I've got a JTS R1 engine with a supercharger on it. []

quote:Originally posted by HNCadet

Looks like the original engine was RS-2333(R-2), but the car was shipped to Eng for completion w/o an interior(04/19/63), later to be shipped to Calif.(Aug 15) perhaps for R3 changeover.

The B98 engine also shows up as installed in another Avanti(4041) but may just be a misprint. I saw 4041 at LaPalma in the past and I could not find the B98 stamping on the block.
                            edp/NC
                            '63 Avanti
                            '66 Commander
                            edp/NC
                            \'63 Avanti
                            \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                            X