Thread: Avanti Exhaust Tips

Avanti Exhaust Tips

The Avanti chrome tips are great, but I would like to find an extention that is not as large on the outside opening.

Thibeault sells extentions but the outside is over 3 inches.

Auto parts stores are terrible ....very little to fit a 2 inch pipe.

Now if there were some way for me to get a little piece of round metal that is 2.5 od and 2 inch on the id i could go and get great looking chrome downturns....which are for 2.5 inch pipe....I would just utilize the reducing piece of pipe inside the downturn then fit it on my 2inch Avanti exhaust outlet pipe.

Hope i am making myself clear???:-)

President Member
    Good old Schedule 40 pipe. 2.375 OD X 2.07 ID. Split the pipe, slip on the exhaust pipe and extension then clamp down. It should all compress together and hold fine.

Use regular steel or SS if required.

You might just find an adapter at your FLAPS also.

By the way, I used the 3" extensions with a 2 1/4 inlet. That let me adjust them to the exact angle I wanted and tacked them on the car. Pulled the tail pipe and welded the whole thing. Made adjustment easy.

Bob

Bob,

I never heard of schedule 40 pipe?

And I never knew adaptors existed to do this type of thing?

No Flaps in NYC........we do have some pep boys advance auto auto barn etc

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

Good old Schedule 40 pipe. 2.375 OD X 2.07 ID. Split the pipe, slip on the exhaust pipe and extension then clamp down. It should all compress together and hold fine.

Use regular steel or SS if required.

You might just find an adapter at your FLAPS also.

By the way, I used the 3" extensions with a 2 1/4 inlet. That let me adjust them to the exact angle I wanted and tacked them on the car. Pulled the tail pipe and welded the whole thing. Made adjustment easy.

Bob

might want to check with Don Simmons - I know he has reproduced the Avanti tips in polished stainless, maybe he could suggest how they could be made with smaller tubing (or maybe he could even make some for you?)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

President Member
    When looking for dual outlet tips for the '88 I couldn't find 2" inlet either. Then I just typed "exhaust tips" in the search bar and went through the different sites that came up. I wish I could remember where I found the dual outlet ones that I have now but don't give up too easily there are tips out there.

I do disagree on the look of the proper exhaust tip vs. a smaller one. The smaller tips on an Avanti always looked out of place to me. The styling cries out for a pronounced exhaust 'presence', IMHO.

BTW, your exhaust note will be quieter with the smaller tip.

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006

But does one need the look of small cannon??

Also with the new ss exhaust the rear pipe is too close to the fiberglass...next to the vertical bumper.......spent over one hour attempting to adjust pipes.........forget it.........will just install tips about 2.5 inches........btw.........how big is the od of the pipes on your car?.....any chance of you posting a picture of what they look like on your '64?

thanks

One thing is for sure with the Simmons loud muffler the car sounds amazing....almost like I have a big block with a cam!

the burping sound is music to my ears........and death to the guy who lives in the next house from where I garage the car on Long Island!

President Member
    Here's a website with some choices...
    http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.c...haust_Tips.htm

My '64 has tips from Dave T. Std. Avanti. The '88 has the dual outlet similar to what they came with originally but not exactly the same. I have no idea wher the original 87-88 style came from and its current 'beater' status dictates that $20 a tip was all I was willing to spend on it.

Beauty is in the eye but if you have a fitment problem the downturns may be the answer.

ErnieR
    quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

But does one need the look of small cannon??

Also with the new ss exhaust the rear pipe is too close to the fiberglass...next to the vertical bumper.......spent over one hour attempting to adjust pipes.........forget it.........will just install tips about 2.5 inches........btw.........how big is the od of the pipes on your car?.....any chance of you posting a picture of what they look like on your '64?

thanks

President Member
    Sorry, I was in the business to long. Schedule 40 pipe is the regular 2" pipe that you buy at any hardware or home improvement store.

Cheap buy the foot.

I like the 3" extensions. To me they just look better than the thin ones that come with the car.

3" On my 83.

Bob

Speedster Member
    I just put these on. Email me at unimogjohn@aol.com if you want a pic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

1963 Avanti R2
    Marshall, VA