Fabric with Studebakers in the design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric with Studebakers in the design

I am currently making up a line of orphan car fabric designs.
    That isn't fabric for upholstering cars. That is fabric featuring pictures of cars.
    I have a finned Hawk (1957 I think), a 1955, and a 1951 bullet nose Studebaker already designed. (So far the blue bullet nose is my favorite).
    I'm thinking of doing a Zip van, because I like Zip vans.
    I also have (not visible to people yet) a Lark design.
    These can be seen/ordered at
    Elevate your home décor, fabric & wallpaper with designs from independent artists. 1 million+ options. Eco-friendly printing. Shop now!

Search under my ID (Edsel2084) or the keyword "cars" to see them.
    Spoonflower is a mill in North Carolina that prints these custom fabrics and allows one to sell them. All artwork on my designs is my own. Spoonflower just does the manufacturing.

I plan to bring a limited number of shirts to sell at the LaPalma meet with Studebaker trim on them.
    (I can't sew whole shirts of this fabric because it would be too expensive. The shirts would have to cost $80+ and in this economy, I do not think I would ever sell even one shirt at that price!)

I know guys, for the most part, do not sew.
    But many guys know gals that sew, and use fabric for things like table cloths at swap meets or car shows where no sewing at all is involved.

I'm looking for input here. I am a Studebaker owner, but a female Studebaker owner. Most classic car owners of all marques are male.
    (Got everything reversed at my house. My guy would just as soon see all my cars go away, just like many wives would. He wouldn't even take one ride in my Studebaker until I tricked him. He needed to be picked up at an airport and I brought the Studebaker. His choices were get in and shut up, or walk. He got in. He said the car wasn't as bad as he imagined--high praise for him).
    Therefore I think like a gal, not a guy.
    I need to find out what guy minds think of this project.
    I already learned that car owners are size L, XL, and larger. There don't seem to be any smalls.

Large, X Large and larger (LOL)[?] Yeah, Classic Car owners, like Lutherans like to eat and enjoy their beer.

It might help to show us a few swatches here. I'd be interested in some. Especially if the design was large enough on the field.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Here you go.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Sure, why not bedsheets or tablecloths! Perfect looking designs. [^]

Of interest to a lot of us would be '63 or '64 GT Hawks, '63 Avantis and '57 Transtar Trucks. I choose these years because they relate to other years that looked basically the same, so are not as year specific as they may seem. The '57 Silver Hawk you already have is a good one, with wide appeal also. [] IMHO, not so much the rest.

No Edsels...PLEASE!

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for posting the images, Anne.
          Avanti is on the drawing board, and a non-fin Hawk is planned. I also plan a 1953 Studebaker.
          I will think about what kind of truck. I really like the late 1930's ones the best.
          I do see a lot of people who own Champs too.

I confess to having a line of Edsels too, since I own one of those.
          But I promise no Chevys. No Mustangs. No Toyotas.
          All the cars will be orphans. (Packard, Hudson, Nash, Kaiser etc).

Comment

Some Station wagons too, and other orphan makes, Henry J, Crosley, Hudson, Packard, Kaisers, Amc's & Nash. and even older ones. I know i get tired of just seeing Mustangs, Camero's on everything.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Hmmmmmm.....perhaps a change of curtains for my home office from the #48 NASCAR ones I have now! That would go great with the posters & magazine covers on the walls of Studes!

60 Lark convertible
              61 Champ
              62 Daytona convertible
              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2)
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

This is great! I couldn't find Stude fabric.
                We have a lady in our club that makes purses, this fabric would be great for that. Looking forward to ordering some & seeing your Shirts in La Palma!

Thanks
                Johna (another Studegal!)

StudeRick &
                Johna, 64GTGAL
                Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1964 Avanti
                StudeRick & Johna
                Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1963 Avanti
                1961 Lark Wagon
                1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

Nice project! I am a guy and I sew. Come from a long line of tailors and seamstresses! I would be very much interested.

1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.
                  1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

SDC member Duane Miller, dulymiller@mchsi.com , has Studebaker printed material for sale.

Richard

Comment

I have a Henry J.[}] Any cool Fabric for it too?[]
                      Good Roads
                      Brian

Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Uh, hey - some of us are Mediums

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

As mentioned a couple of replies above, Duane Miller, Upper Mississippi Valley Zone Coordinator has some custom Studebaker print fabric for sale. Pic of it is available on the Heart of America Chapter website for-sale page. http://studebu.tripod.com/id7.html

'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                          '64 Daytona HT
                          \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                          \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

I like the idea. I have seen many of those style prints with other makes of cars. I think as an alternative, maybe offer one that isn't so "busy" with the cars on every square inch: Such as a mostly black fabric with a car every 10" to a foot on it. I would wear that if made into a shirt, but not with that many cars on it. Looks more like a use for curtains, shower curtain or a table cloth, as mentioned above. You never know what will sell these days.
                            The cars are very cool looking, though. Nice work. [^] Just a suggestion.

Comment

Thanks for mentoning my wife and me on your site. Another view of the Studebaker fabric that the Millers are selling is found at www.big6sdc.com (plus a photo of a shirt made with the fabric). We sell it at $20 per yard plus shipping and handling. If purchased in time we can deliver to South Bend in May and Glendale in June. Contact Miller Signs at dulymiller@netins.net if you have any questions.

duane miller

Comment

Working...
                              X