Thread: Fabric with Studebakers in the design

Fabric with Studebakers in the design

I am currently making up a line of orphan car fabric designs.
    That isn't fabric for upholstering cars. That is fabric featuring pictures of cars.
    I have a finned Hawk (1957 I think), a 1955, and a 1951 bullet nose Studebaker already designed. (So far the blue bullet nose is my favorite).
    I'm thinking of doing a Zip van, because I like Zip vans.
    I also have (not visible to people yet) a Lark design.
    These can be seen/ordered at
    http://www.spoonflower.com/
    Search under my ID (Edsel2084) or the keyword "cars" to see them.
    Spoonflower is a mill in North Carolina that prints these custom fabrics and allows one to sell them. All artwork on my designs is my own. Spoonflower just does the manufacturing.

I plan to bring a limited number of shirts to sell at the LaPalma meet with Studebaker trim on them.
    (I can't sew whole shirts of this fabric because it would be too expensive. The shirts would have to cost $80+ and in this economy, I do not think I would ever sell even one shirt at that price!)

I know guys, for the most part, do not sew.
    But many guys know gals that sew, and use fabric for things like table cloths at swap meets or car shows where no sewing at all is involved.

I'm looking for input here. I am a Studebaker owner, but a female Studebaker owner. Most classic car owners of all marques are male.
    (Got everything reversed at my house. My guy would just as soon see all my cars go away, just like many wives would. He wouldn't even take one ride in my Studebaker until I tricked him. He needed to be picked up at an airport and I brought the Studebaker. His choices were get in and shut up, or walk. He got in. He said the car wasn't as bad as he imagined--high praise for him).
    Therefore I think like a gal, not a guy.
    I need to find out what guy minds think of this project.
    I already learned that car owners are size L, XL, and larger. There don't seem to be any smalls.

Large, X Large and larger (LOL)[?] Yeah, Classic Car owners, like Lutherans like to eat and enjoy their beer.

It might help to show us a few swatches here. I'd be interested in some. Especially if the design was large enough on the field.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

President Member Anne F. Goodman's Avatar

Here you go.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Golden Hawk Member
    Sure, why not bedsheets or tablecloths! Perfect looking designs. [^]

Of interest to a lot of us would be '63 or '64 GT Hawks, '63 Avantis and '57 Transtar Trucks. I choose these years because they relate to other years that looked basically the same, so are not as year specific as they may seem. The '57 Silver Hawk you already have is a good one, with wide appeal also. [] IMHO, not so much the rest.

No Edsels...PLEASE!

StudeRich

Thanks for posting the images, Anne.
    Avanti is on the drawing board, and a non-fin Hawk is planned. I also plan a 1953 Studebaker.
    I will think about what kind of truck. I really like the late 1930's ones the best.
    I do see a lot of people who own Champs too.

I confess to having a line of Edsels too, since I own one of those.
    But I promise no Chevys. No Mustangs. No Toyotas.
    All the cars will be orphans. (Packard, Hudson, Nash, Kaiser etc).

Some Station wagons too, and other orphan makes, Henry J, Crosley, Hudson, Packard, Kaisers, Amc's & Nash. and even older ones. I know i get tired of just seeing Mustangs, Camero's on everything.

President Member
    Hmmmmmm.....perhaps a change of curtains for my home office from the #48 NASCAR ones I have now! That would go great with the posters & magazine covers on the walls of Studes!

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Speedster Member
    This is great! I couldn't find Stude fabric.
    We have a lady in our club that makes purses, this fabric would be great for that. Looking forward to ordering some & seeing your Shirts in La Palma!

Thanks
    Johna (another Studegal!)

StudeRick &
    Johna, 64GTGAL
    Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1964 Avanti

President Member
    Nice project! I am a guy and I sew. Come from a long line of tailors and seamstresses! I would be very much interested.

1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

President Member
    SDC member Duane Miller, dulymiller@mchsi.com , has Studebaker printed material for sale.

Richard

I have a Henry J.[}] Any cool Fabric for it too?[]
    Good Roads
    Brian

Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Uh, hey - some of us are Mediums

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Speedster Member
    As mentioned a couple of replies above, Duane Miller, Upper Mississippi Valley Zone Coordinator has some custom Studebaker print fabric for sale. Pic of it is available on the Heart of America Chapter website for-sale page. http://studebu.tripod.com/id7.html

'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
    '64 Daytona HT

I like the idea. I have seen many of those style prints with other makes of cars. I think as an alternative, maybe offer one that isn't so "busy" with the cars on every square inch: Such as a mostly black fabric with a car every 10" to a foot on it. I would wear that if made into a shirt, but not with that many cars on it. Looks more like a use for curtains, shower curtain or a table cloth, as mentioned above. You never know what will sell these days.
    The cars are very cool looking, though. Nice work. [^] Just a suggestion.

Thanks for mentoning my wife and me on your site. Another view of the Studebaker fabric that the Millers are selling is found at www.big6sdc.com (plus a photo of a shirt made with the fabric). We sell it at $20 per yard plus shipping and handling. If purchased in time we can deliver to South Bend in May and Glendale in June. Contact Miller Signs at dulymiller@netins.net if you have any questions.

duane miller

President Member
    Yes there are people who order in small and medium. Also understand that a lot of guys will not buy any shirt with a car on it unless it is their year car and their car's color(s).

The Miller fabric is very nice. I like it.
    They used advertising photos.
    I see no conflict between what I am doing and what they are doing. The more the merrier!

As for putting one Studebaker every 10 inches--the cars are only 3 inches long.
    You wouldn't have any Studebakers on the fabric if you had 10 inch spaces. You'd just have black fabric with a grille peeking out of a seam.

And yes, though people want their car, and will surely buy their car in their color, they will also go for something like their car. For instance, you can't make fabric with metallic colors, so somebody with a gold Avanti, could get an Avanti, but it couldn't really be gold.

Speedster Member
    Wow!!! Curtains for my "Jewel Beige" Kitchen!!!!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...84/fjhawk2.jpg

President Member
    Very nice stuff from the Millers, can't wait to see aenthal comes up with too. I have searched far and wide for camp shirts with Studebakers on them. I would definitely buy some from one place or the other, maybe both. Inquiring minds want to know, how many yards does it take to make a size large short sleeve shirt like the one in the picture with the Miller's fabric? Thanks

Pat

Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool
    '54 Conestoga Future Project

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

A typical shirt is 2-3 yards, depending on the size of the shirt, and the actual style.

Pat,
    The fabric we are selling is 41" wide, that means it will take 3 yards for a large... with some scraps left over. As stated above we will deliver PREPAID orders to South Bend and Glendale. Contact us at dulymiller@netins.net for more info.

duane miller

Pat,
    The fabric we are selling is 41" wide, that means it will take 3 yards for a large... with some scraps left over. As stated above we will deliver PREPAID orders to South Bend and Glendale. Contact us at dulymiller@netins.net for more info.

duane miller

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenthal View Post
    I am currently making up a line of orphan car fabric designs.
    That isn't fabric for upholstering cars. That is fabric featuring pictures of cars.
    I have a finned Hawk (1957 I think), a 1955, and a 1951 bullet nose Studebaker already designed. (So far the blue bullet nose is my favorite).
    I'm thinking of doing a Zip van, because I like Zip vans.
    I also have (not visible to people yet) a Lark design.
    These can be seen/ordered at
    http://www.spoonflower.com/
    Search under my ID (Edsel2084) or the keyword "cars" to see them.
    Spoonflower is a mill in North Carolina that prints these custom fabrics and allows one to sell them. All artwork on my designs is my own. Spoonflower just does the manufacturing.

I plan to bring a limited number of shirts to sell at the LaPalma meet with Studebaker trim on them.
    (I can't sew whole shirts of this fabric because it would be too expensive. The shirts would have to cost $80+ and in this economy, I do not think I would ever sell even one shirt at that price!)

I know guys, for the most part, do not sew.
    But many guys know gals that sew, and use fabric for things like table cloths at swap meets or car shows where no sewing at all is involved.

I'm looking for input here. I am a Studebaker owner, but a female Studebaker owner. Most classic car owners of all marques are male.
    (Got everything reversed at my house. My guy would just as soon see all my cars go away, just like many wives would. He wouldn't even take one ride in my Studebaker until I tricked him. He needed to be picked up at an airport and I brought the Studebaker. His choices were get in and shut up, or walk. He got in. He said the car wasn't as bad as he imagined--high praise for him).
    Therefore I think like a gal, not a guy.
    I need to find out what guy minds think of this project.
    I already learned that car owners are size L, XL, and larger. There don't seem to be any smalls.
    I think fabric showing several different models of Studes (a timeline of sorts) would sell good. and I would really like a shirt like that!

If you search a bit, there are some Studebaker print fabrics out there. One supplier has several different models of Stude on different color cloths.
    Our opinions (and the resultant conclusions) may vary - Deal with it.

Hello Anne,
    Will your Studebaker shirts be available by main order?
    If so, I'll take one in large please.
    As a Lark owner, please consider a Lark in your
    designs.
    Great project! Ever so tired of the "tri five" folks wearing
    those shirts!
    1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan
    1965 Studebaker Daytona Wagonaire
    "There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

I agree with the Lark request. I'll scan back through the thread, but in addition to shirts, even if you were to sell bandanas and ties, dare I dream BOW ties??!! you might find a wider market lure.

I see this thread has been around for a long time. AS AN UPDATE... We are no longer getting our fabric manufactured... the costs kept going up and most Studebaker drivers that I know can't afford to pay close to $90 just for the material to make a shirt. Consequently we sold the last of the material we had at the May swap in South Bend back in 2012. I think the mill might still have the pattern, but it would take some arm twisting to have my wife and I stick our neck out to order another run of the fabric. Also, our email has changed in the last three years, but you could send a PM.
    Duane
    Last edited by Deaf Mute; 12-16-2013 at 07:17 AM. Reason: spelcheck