Best penetrating oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best penetrating oil

I believe in a engineering magazine I was reading the best was a homemade product which worked 2x better than the best off the shelf product.
    Recipe was 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Pretty volatile stuff made in small batches, extremely flammable, but it does work.

No thanks needed

Some pretty good reading from previous threads.....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes, that works very well and thanks for bringing that up again. It is a good notice for those that missed the previous thread which has been some time ago. At that time various penetrants were discussed and, like spark plugs and wax, people tend to promote/endorse what they have used for years.
      I tried the acetone and ATF fluid 50-50 mix and use it now instead of Kroil, PB Blaster, or Liquid Wrench. Those were my previous preferences , in that order. One drawback is doesn't come in a pressurized can -- but otherwise I am satisfied.
      This subject should get included in TECH TIPS for general knowledge. ( I don't know how items get chosen for Tech Tips.)
      Penetrants were discussed thoroughly on the forum thread previously but when I did a search for it nothing came up so maybe it has been archived.
      I thought I would jump in before you got hammered by the hallway monitors. No thanks needed.[)]
      Edited to add:
      (Oops, looks like I was too late but Jeff was gentle and provided the link I couldn't find.)
      LP
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Rich did a good thing bringing it back up...
        I went back and found the thread and re-read it...
        (Just as easy to bump the old thread and link the new thread).
        Good info all around!

As a side note...Here's a good sprayer for that stuff.
        What you save on product will buy the gizmo itself.

Eastwood even sells one..
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker
        <snip>
        Edited to add:
        (Oops, looks like I was too late but Jeff was gentle and provided the link I couldn't find.)
        LP

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

I've been soaking a stuck 259 in my 62 Daytona for a few months with just PB Blaster sprayed into the cylinders. Haven't tried it yet, but I question the coverage in this situation. Maybe I'll mix up a batch of this stuff; I still have a couple gallons of acetone left from my "acetone will greatly increase gas mileage" experiment (it didn't).

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

PB Blaster (IMOHO) does not work well 'long term' .
            I soaked a drill press chuck in that stuff and after it set for a while. it 'glued' the chuck like cosmolene...
            I'd try the ATF/acetone deal, fer sure...
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I've been soaking a stuck 259 in my 62 Daytona for a few months with just PB Blaster sprayed into the cylinders.
            <snip>

Jeff

Comment

Acetone face wash! The dermatologist washed my face with acetone yesterday, painted on some chemical, and then stuck me into a 'blue light.' for 22 minutes. This is to sluff off premaglant cells. Can't go out side for 48 hours. I'm one of those with old age skin problems. I think acetone is less offensive when used on the car.

Comment

How about using a pump squirt bottle like that used for household window cleaner?

Wild Red Hawks admiring their reflections.
                In the middle of Minnestudea
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

recently I helped a friend out with a 53 that had a stuck motor. It had been setting for years and wouldn't budge. We mixed up a batch of the acetone and ATF and filled up the cylinders after pulling the plugs. Let it soak for a week. Pulled the starter and took my pry bar against the flywheel and after one gentle nudge, the thing started turning! I did it a few times so that the pistons would complete a cycle. Right after that, he sold the car and the new owner put plug wires, new plugs and points in and fired it up!
                  64 Champ long bed V8
                  55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                  53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Acetone will attack, soften and eventually digest anything plastic so keep that in mind when planning a type of container.

Dean

CLEM DESEE MISTY
                    Dean

CLEM

Comment

Just a note--
                      The mix should be PSF with acetone ----not ATF

**note on another board--
                      quote:This same quote has been circulated over the internet for a while but if you actually read the article you will find:
                      The scientifically rusted enviorment was just 12 hours in salt water.
                      No bolts, no nuts but just dowel pins rusted into a block of steel.
                      A 8 hour soaking in the penetrating oil not just a few sprays.
                      There was no ATF but it was a 50-50 mix of acetone and power steering fluid.Power steering fluid and acetone do not mix well, it will separate into two layers because acetone is relatively polar.
                      How valid was his study? From what I could tell from the article, it was really not valid. I suggest getting a copy of the article and deciding for your self.
                      and another- I think from the original person that did the test--

Default Absolutely no apology needed, and thanks for the clarification!!!!
                      lbender,
                      no intent to do anything other than verify your excellent work. Now that I can state that I "communicated with the author", I can pass the word along to the Studebaker gang!

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by lbender
                      63Avanti,
                      Allow me to appologize one more time. The test material was intended to be automatic transmission fluid. In the auto parts department, I grabbed a bottle of power steering fluid by mistake. If you read the article, the power steering fluid shown was used. The table you quoted has not been corrected.
                      One salient point not covered in your question -- these are loads required to free the test piece after 8 hours of immersion in penetrating oil. This is probably not representative of a quick squirt just before a wrench is applied.
                      Having read the above-- It did not want to stay mixed (50% acetone and 50% psf) when I tried it. But it did work very well on the frozen up engine!
                      64 Champ long bed V8
                      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

The spary can shown in Jeff's post is avaliable from Eastwood but it is expensive. I just bought the same thing from McMaster-Carr for about 1/2 the Eastwood price. For those that don't know them McMaster is and industrial supply house, kinda like Grainger. They just don't have local stores, they are mail order only.

Wayne
                        Wayne
                        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Mixed some up the other day.
                          I used a old trigger type oil can.
                          Worked like a Champ

59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
                          51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
                          27 Ford Roadster
                          Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies
                          59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
                          51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
                          27 Ford Roadster
                          Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

For many, but not all cars PSF is ATF. Now there are even a couple of recipes of PSF. Honda PSF is reportedly like no other, for genuine tech reasons as yet undiscovered. I must say my mom's honda steers easier after replacing the 110k mile stuff with aftermarket "for Honda cars' PSF.

Some of The dozen or so ATFs differ by the friction coefficient when sliding velocities are very low, and the viscosity can't keep surfaces separated. One obvious effect is felt in harshness of shift when the clutch plates are transitioning from sliding to not sliding. IN simpler times Type F (ord) was famous for the higher friction, and hot rod shops and the Mopar factory race manual recommended it for competition use. I believe the theory that the greater friction might have resulted in a little greater torque capacity when on the ragged edge.

Comment

....ATF alone,soaking in cylinders for a week, should loosen just about any group of pistons....

Comment

Working...
                              X