Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Hamilton production question

  1. #1
    President Member BShaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Rush City, Minnesota, USA.
    Posts
    1,735

    Hamilton production question

    I received an email from a lady asking...

    "Other than the Avanti, were there any other models that were NOT made in Hamilton, Ontario?"

    I don't know but I bet some of you do!

    BShaw, Webmaster
    webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
    Woodbury, Minnesota

    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarwheel.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."


  2. #2
    Silver Hawk Member barnlark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northeastern Ohio
    Posts
    5,154
    Before, or after 1964?

  3. #3
    Silver Hawk Member Milaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Milaca, Minnesota, USA.
    Posts
    6,105
    <s>No trucks/pickups.</s>

    Edit: I assume that Bob Shaw meant prior to 1965. I was not aware that trucks/pickups were built there, sorry for the incorrect info. I guess I am safe to say that Champ pickups were not built there?


    A wild Red Hawk admiring it's reflection.
    In the middle of Minnestudea

  4. #4
    Silver Hawk Member Mark57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Duncan, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,425
    The date IS important... Most models of Studebaker cars were built there up to 1964 (including Hawks), but after the South Bend closure, only Lark types were produced in Hamilton. Trucks as late as the 2R series of C-Cabs were produced in Hamilton as well. As previously stated, no Avantis.

    Like many Studebaker questions, the answer is not simple!

    <h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>



  5. #5
    Silver Hawk Member Mark57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Duncan, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,425
    quote:Originally posted by Milaca
    I guess I am safe to say that Champ pickups were not built there?

    Yup!

    <h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>



  6. #6
    Golden Hawk Member 8E45E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    , , Canada.
    Posts
    15,288
    The 1963 Standard series was never made in Canada, and neither was the 1964 Challenger. They weren't advertised for sale in Canada, either, though it is possible one or more could have been special ordered from South Bend.

    Craig

  7. #7
    Golden Hawk Member 8E45E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    , , Canada.
    Posts
    15,288
    quote:Originally posted by Mark57
    Most models of Studebaker cars were built there up to 1964 (including Hawks)
    Mark, I belive all 1767 '64 G.T. Hawks were made in South Bend.

    Craig

  8. #8
    Silver Hawk Member Mark57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Duncan, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,425
    quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

    quote:Originally posted by Mark57
    Most models of Studebaker cars were built there up to 1964 (including Hawks)
    Mark, I belive all 1767 '64 G.T. Hawks were made in South Bend.

    Craig
    No disagreement from me! [8)] I have a hard enough time remembering truck stuff...

    <h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>



  9. #9
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    27,728
    I guess the time frame really IS pretty important, because I read somewhere that there was another Canadian Assembly Plant prior to Hamilton, so there were Canadian Studebakers a very long time ago apparently.

    StudeRich

  10. #10
    President Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mokena, Illinois
    Posts
    4,305
    I received a query on Canadian production last week and it too from a lady...probably the same one? In any event the question was not the same but more general in nature. I answered her as follows:

    Marcella;

    Studebakers were assembled in Walkerville, Ontario between 1910 and 1936. After World War II
    they purchased a large plant in Hamilton, Ontario that had been used to make Rofors anti-aircraft
    guns and set up operations there. The first post WWII Studebakers came down the assembly line
    on August 18, 1948. Operations continued at this site until March 17, 1966.

    It should be noted that Studebaker's main manufacturing plant was in South Bend, Indiana thru
    December 1963. In January 1964 all production was moved to the Hamilton plant where it continued
    thru the March date mentioned above. From 1910 thru 1936 there were 65,503 Studebaker cars
    (and a few trucks) assembled in Walkerville and from 1948 thru 1966 there were 179,325 Studebakers
    assembled in the Hamilton plant. Pickup trucks were assembled in Hamilton between 1949 and 1955.

    To specifically answer your question, yes, Studebakers were assembled in Canada in 1950. In that particular calendar year 15,296 were built.

    Good luck with the project.





    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

  11. #11
    Golden Hawk Member 8E45E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    , , Canada.
    Posts
    15,288


    Craig

  12. #12
    President Member BShaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Rush City, Minnesota, USA.
    Posts
    1,735
    Yep. Same person that contacted Richard. I will send her a link to this topic. Thanks.

    BShaw, Webmaster
    webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
    Woodbury, Minnesota

  13. #13
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Burlington, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    2,581
    We didn't build or market Challengers in Canada.
    Stu Chapman

    quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

    The 1963 Standard series was never made in Canada, and neither was the 1964 Challenger. They weren't advertised for sale in Canada, either, though it is possible one or more could have been special ordered from South Bend.

    Craig

  14. #14
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Burlington, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    2,581
    Just to set the record straight...the previous use of the Hamilton plant was to build Bofors armaments, not Rofors. The Studebaker National Museum book has this name misspelled as well and will be corrected in the next printing. I hope everyone remembers that tomorrow at 8:11 AM it will be 44 years to the minute the last Studebaker came off the line in Hamilton. As the local TV commentator said back then..."March 17th 1966, the day all Irishmen remember, the last Studebaker was built"
    Stu Chapman

    quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

    I received a query on Canadian production last week and it too from a lady...probably the same one? In any event the question was not the same but more general in nature. I answered her as follows:

    Marcella;

    Studebakers were assembled in Walkerville, Ontario between 1910 and 1936. After World War II
    they purchased a large plant in Hamilton, Ontario that had been used to make Rofors anti-aircraft
    guns and set up operations there. The first post WWII Studebakers came down the assembly line
    on August 18, 1948. Operations continued at this site until March 17, 1966.

    It should be noted that Studebaker's main manufacturing plant was in South Bend, Indiana thru
    December 1963. In January 1964 all production was moved to the Hamilton plant where it continued
    thru the March date mentioned above. From 1910 thru 1936 there were 65,503 Studebaker cars
    (and a few trucks) assembled in Walkerville and from 1948 thru 1966 there were 179,325 Studebakers
    assembled in the Hamilton plant. Pickup trucks were assembled in Hamilton between 1949 and 1955.

    To specifically answer your question, yes, Studebakers were assembled in Canada in 1950. In that particular calendar year 15,296 were built.

    Good luck with the project.





    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

  15. #15
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Burlington, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    2,581
    You are correct Mark.
    Stu Chapman

    quote:Originally posted by Mark57

    The date IS important... Most models of Studebaker cars were built there up to 1964 (including Hawks), but after the South Bend closure, only Lark types were produced in Hamilton. Trucks as late as the 2R series of C-Cabs were produced in Hamilton as well. As previously stated, no Avantis.

    Like many Studebaker questions, the answer is not simple!

    <h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>



  16. #16
    Golden Hawk Member 8E45E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    , , Canada.
    Posts
    15,288
    quote:Originally posted by Stu Chapman

    We didn't build or market Challengers in Canada.
    Stu Chapman
    True. I didn't want to boldly say "they didn't sell them in Canada!", as sure as h*ll, someone will produce a dealer invoice from Nomansland, Saskatchewan showing one was special ordered. Is there any record of a customer in Canada ever ordering one; even though it would have had to come from South Bend? Unlike today, where the exhaust emission, bumper and seat belt laws are now different from the U.S., it wouldn't have been a problem to purchase a U.S. market car in Canada back then.

    Craig

  17. #17
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brantford, Ont.
    Posts
    79

    Challenger in Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    True. I didn't want to boldly say "they didn't sell them in Canada!", as sure as h*ll, someone will produce a dealer invoice from Nomansland, Saskatchewan showing one was special ordered. Is there any record of a customer in Canada ever ordering one; even though it would have had to come from South Bend? Unlike today, where the exhaust emission, bumper and seat belt laws are now different from the U.S., it wouldn't have been a problem to purchase a U.S. market car in Canada back then.

    Craig
    My neighbour that worked at the Hamilton plant (Bill Springer) bought a new '64 Challenger, I remember the script, the single headlamp configuration and lack of windshield trim.

  18. #18
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cayuga, Ontario
    Posts
    51
    There were no '56 Golden Hawks built in Canada

  19. #19
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    27,728
    Did Bill know that it was built in South Bend?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  20. #20
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    37
    I doubt they made zip vans or weasels there.
    An aside, I see that you are from Minnesota. My 66 Datona was sold new in Bemidji.

  21. #21
    Golden Hawk Member 8E45E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    , , Canada.
    Posts
    15,288
    Quote Originally Posted by doublefeature56 View Post
    I doubt they made zip vans or weasels there.
    Definitely not, as there was not an assembly plant in Canada during the war years for one, and two, Weasels and Zip Vans were built under U.S. Government contract and therefore, would have fallen under United States labor content requirements.


    Craig

Similar Threads

  1. Hamilton Production Question #2
    By Jim B PEI in forum General Studebaker-Specific Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 06:00 PM
  2. Production record question
    By alanmende in forum General Studebaker-Specific Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 01:01 PM
  3. Production Order Question
    By studemaker in forum General Studebaker-Specific Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-24-2007, 02:33 PM
  4. Question on production orders from SNM
    By Guido in forum General Studebaker-Specific Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 09:33 PM
  5. question about studebaker production.
    By tutone63 in forum General Studebaker-Specific Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-06-2007, 06:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •