Old '53 or '54 Stock car from South Bend Speedway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old '53 or '54 Stock car from South Bend Speedway

I was looking through some old racing photos and came upon this photo of what appears to be a '53 or '54 Stude. going around the high banks of the South Bend Motor Speedway, my home track! This track is still in existance, and almost literally my back yard. I have rode my bike to it. Unfortunately, the tracks future looks pretty shakey as it is in danger of facing the wrecking ball.[V] It is in a way much likt the engineering building, still has a lot of life left in it, just, yeah...[V][B)] Still, thought this was a cool old pic![8D]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N
    Chris Dresbach

I love these old racing pictures. Tracks all over the country are threatened with extinction. Too bad the one in South Bend is one of them. I don't understand how you can have a track that has been there for many years with no problem, then somebody builds a house next door, knowing that auto racing is noisy, and complains loud enough to take the speedway away. Maybe I am missing something....

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Comment

quote:I don't understand how you can have a track that has been there for many years with no problem, then somebody builds a house next door, knowing that auto racing is noisy, and complains loud enough to take the speedway away.

I dont understand this at all myself but seems to happen all the time
      Tom

sigpic

Comment

Our kids and some of their friends would load up and we would all go to the track for an evening at South Bend Motor Speedway. It was great fun.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

I love these old racing pictures. Tracks all over the country are threatened with extinction. Too bad the one in South Bend is one of them. I don't understand how you can have a track that has been there for many years with no problem, then somebody builds a house next door, knowing that auto racing is noisy, and complains loud enough to take the speedway away. Maybe I am missing something....

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
          It's like people that move next to a farm and then complain about the smell. Morons!

Chip
          '63 Cruiser daily driver
          '57 Packard wagon on the road!
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

We lost both drag strips in Minneapolis for that reason.
            Klif

55 Speedster
            63 Avanti R2
            63 Lark R2
            55 Speedster/Street Machine
            63 Avanti R2
            64 Convertible R1

Comment

Love it Cris, Keep it coming,

Comment

Actually, this track is not going not because of complaining neighbors, but poor up keep. The track needs work. The grand stand(s) need not only painted, but new boards put in place, the restrooms are a mess, the concession stand needs to be brought up to date, and the track needs to be repaved. It could easily be done. Every time they have a (once yearly) race, they would ask for volunteers to clean the track, and bunches of them always show up to work and show support for the track. Just another structure I would love to see saved.[V]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                Parts of the 1952 Model N
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Stude @ South Bend Motor Speedway

Cool Picture, I have a photo from that speedway dated 1956, it shows the 101 car ('37 Dictator) right in front of the # 300 car on it's lid, at speed!

Anyone tell me how to post attachments here I'll share it with you.

Joe Jackmovich, Rapid City, SD

Comment

I have one from Soo Speedway, Souix Falls S.D. taken in June of 1956. It appears to be a 47/48/49 Commander, #88. I would be happy to post it if I only knew how.....which slot do I insert the photo? I tried the "C" drive, but it didn't fit....
                    Lou Van Anne
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

Chris: I believe I've only been past the SBMS once.

Is it on the southwest side of town, just north of the new U.S.20 bypass somewhere? BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Chris: I believe I've only been past the SBMS once.

Is it on the southwest side of town, just north of the new U.S.20 bypass somewhere? BP
                        It is SW on SR 2. With development through the years it might be considered W now. It used to be on the outskirts of the city.
                        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

From the bypass, if you are heading toward the proving geound you can't miss it.
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Good news!!!

Comment

Chris, I think your '53-'54 "Sedan" racer, is a Land Cruiser with the glass and vent window pillars removed.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X