Studebaker Medallion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Medallion

I recently bought one of these medallions. it's about 3-4 inches in diameter, double sided and rotates on its base. It's from 1952, celebrating the centennial of the Corporation. I have a couple questions:

Who were these for? Dealers, Salesmen, customers?

ARe they fairly common today?

What should one expect to pay? ( I have NO intetion of selling mine)

Thanks in advance.

Evan Davis
    Prairie Bulletin
    Saskatchewan Chapter
    Prince Albert, Sk
    Evan Davis
    Prince Albert, Sk

Sounds like a question for Mr. Quinn.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fargoguy

I recently bought one of these medallions. it's about 3-4 inches in diameter, double sided and rotates on its base. It's from 1952, celebrating the centennial of the Corporation. I have a couple questions:

Who were these for? Dealers, Salesmen, customers?

ARe they fairly common today?

What should one expect to pay? ( I have NO intetion of selling mine)

Thanks in advance.

Evan Davis
      Prairie Bulletin
      Saskatchewan Chapter
      Prince Albert, Sk
      They were for dealers. I have the big, plaster wall plaque, but not the medallion.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

That one is for the dealers. I have one of the small coins that looks identical to that except smaller and is not a globe. There were hunderds of thousands of the coins made, and they were given out to employees and anybody who wanted one. You have a bit of a rare find. I have been chasing one of those for a while and have not been able to find one for a deacent price. There is also one above yours that is the medallion, but is a paper weight and was only given out to the execuitives at studebaker. And of course there are other little "trinkets" that studebaker gave out for the centennial. Good find![^]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
        Parts of the 1952 Model N
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Evan; You need to read my Almanac column in the November 2006 TW where the various 1952 centennial medallions are discussed. This (above) is only a part of my collection of medals of which I have many more. The rarest of the bunch are those in the lucite blocks. Most of these were custom engraved with the owners name on the bottom beveled edge. I have four of these I think. Jim (Quigley down under) keeps a roster of the known survivors of these. I am sure he can chime in on those known and with the names. As for value of the one you just purchased probably in the area of $150.

Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
          Richard Quinn

Comment

Guys,
            Thanks for the info.

Richard, just finished reading your Almanac article, excellent as always!

I guess i did ok buying this one for $10 then, eh?

(And those are Canadian Dollars)

Evan Davis
            Prairie Bulletin
            Saskatchewan Chapter
            Prince Albert, Sk
            Evan Davis
            Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fargoguy

Guys,
              Thanks for the info.

Richard, just finished reading your Almanac article, excellent as always!

I guess i did ok buying this one for $10 then, eh?

(And those are Canadian Dollars)

Evan Davis
              Prairie Bulletin
              Saskatchewan Chapter
              Prince Albert, Sk
              Evan,
              That is the bargain of 2010 & in Canadian dollars also! In reading Dick Quinn's almanac article you may have noted Studebaker had 5011 medallions made in the mounted pedestal. Do any of the Forum readers have the medallion mounted in Lucite with the recipient's name inscribed? Please let me know, thanks.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
              MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
              MELBOURNE.

Comment

Holy cow, Dick - ya got enough of those things?

Chris Pile
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

As my friend Asa Hall used to say in referring to things Studebaker, "You can never have enough."

Richard Quinn
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Asa was right too.

Doug
                    Venice, Florida
                    1950 Champion
                    9G F1

Comment

Dick, I am sure that somewhere you have the plaster cast wall piece that JP mentions. I am fortunate to also have one plus a couple of the Bronze pieces you have laying on the table. You are correct you can never have enough things Studebaker
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon
                        You are correct you can never have enough things Studebaker

Don, I have to agree. I'm not sure my family and neighbors always understand why, though! For me, it's been more like a Godfather line: "Just when I thought I was out... they bring me back in!" I know I don't really need another one of those exactly the same parts or trinkets, yet there I am buying another one. Why is that?

Comment

Dave, if someone offers me Studebaker memorabilia for free or for a reasonable price I won't turn it down. When I drag this stuff home and bring it through the door my lovely Diana, rolls her eyes, smiles and says and what are you going to do with that. She knows it will go down in the rec room on my book cases somewhere and that's the end of it. She's really great about it as she knows I am going to collect all that I can from a fabulous retired manufacturer. Richard has done a great job of collecting pieces over the years and others need to do the same thing. There are many on this site that have the same philosophy that we have but are there enough to keep it going and keep Studebaker things out of the trash? I surely hope so.

Comment

And Don, that just makes a few more things to collect dust and more things to clean! Are we really just a bunch of pack rats?? :-)
                            Lew

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Dave, if someone offers me Studebaker memorabilia for free or for a reasonable price I won't turn it down. When I drag this stuff home and bring it through the door my lovely Diana, rolls her eyes, smiles and says and what are you going to do with that. She knows it will go down in the rec room on my book cases somewhere and that's the end of it. She's really great about it as she knows I am going to collect all that I can from a fabulous retired manufacturer. Richard has done a great job of collecting pieces over the years and others need to do the same thing. There are many on this site that have the same philosophy that we have but are there enough to keep it going and keep Studebaker things out of the trash? I surely hope so.
                            Lew Schucart
                            Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Lew, come look and see and determine that on your own, Someday some museum or some individual is going to be very happy especially with the Avanti material and the 100 years of Studebaker items. Maybe just maybe you'll have that opportunity in 2011.[}][}][8)]

Comment

Working...
                              X