Decoding a VIN number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoding a VIN number

I know someone has posted this not too long ago, however, I'm having no luck with the search function. I've spent over an hour fighting with the thing...

Can anyone tell me how to de-code a truck VIN number? I know the last two digits are the year. How would 8(?)E719763 translate to. I have 8(?) there because all that's on the registration is E719763 It's a '63 Champ, that much I can tell by looking at the truck. However, I was wondering if the VIN will tell if the truck was originally a 1/2 or 3/4 ton?

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Ron - E7 = 1/2 ton with a V8 engine.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

E1 to 7 = 1/2 ton trucks
      E10 to 12 = 3/4 ton trucks
      E13 to 15 = 1 ton... and so on

For the 8E series, E7-18,901 was the starting serial for 1963 models and E7-21,251 was the starting serial number for the 1964 models. Other than that, there is nothing in the serial number to indicate the model year... it is just a coincidence that the last 2 digits of the truck serial you are looking at happen to be "63".

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island Chapter
      http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks Mark!

Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

8E is the model number for 1963 and '64 trucks. An E7 is a 1/2 ton truck with V8 engine. Yours is a '63, but the last two numbers have nothing to do with it. It's just a coincidence. 8E7 starting serial number is 18901, and they just go up from there.

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Studeclunker; You've already received correct information concerning your serial number. When dealing with Studebaker trucks, there are two identifiers and that fact does cause some confusion. Your truck has a-

Model code- 8E7-112 or 8E7-122
            8.....indicates model years 1963 or 1964
            E.....indicates the series of Studebaker trucks built 1955 through 1964 model years
            7.....chassis nominal rating of 1/2 ton payload with a standard V8 engine from the factory
            112...wheelbase in inches from center of front axle to center of rear axle. This is the short chassis with 6 1/2 foot box
            OR
            122...wheelbase in inches for the long chassis with an 8 foot box

Serial (chassis) number- E7-19763
            E.....same as above
            7.....same as above
            19763.sequencial order in which this chassis came off the assembly line for this particular model. In essense, this means approximately 19,763 1/2 ton trucks with a V8 engine had been built prior to this one since 1955.

Hope this helps explain the number game.[][]
            Frank Drumheller
            Louisa, VA
            60S-W6
            1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

My truck shows 8E12-7817

Comment

Should say 6817 far fingers

Comment

8E12-6817 is registration platea

Comment

Welcome Richard to the SDC, and to the SDC Forum !

Post # 3 on 01/31/2010 breaks down the Model Numbers, E12 is a V8 3/4 Ton, as you know "8E" is a '63 OR '64 depending on Line Sequence Number.

8E12-5901 was the Starting Truck Serial Number for 1963/'64 8E-12's, you should match that to Registration Card SERIAL Number to the Serial Number Plate on the Latch Post of the Driver's Door.

This String from 2010 was only about 1/2 Ton Champs so does not cover your 3/4 Ton V8, E12.

If you have the Standard "259" Engine, the Engine Number Stamped INTO the Block, Left Front, Top Corner, in machined flat pad, would be higher than Starting 259 Engine Serial Number: 3E-14,801

A 5E would be a H.D. 259

A 6E would be a H.D. 289

A 7E would be a Standard 289
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X