Front of the Model "N"......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by gordr

All I can say is that we can thank our lucky stars that the Model N was stillborn, and got replaced by the '53s we know and love.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Well... I also like the '53, but disagree... I think the N was a very cool car.[^][8D]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by scott.rodgers

This is a shot I've never seen before. Hard to tell, but is this also a clay? It has real headlights, but the chrome looks like it's foil-covered and the windshield looks all black. Is this how the actual N prototype's front end looked?

Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      '60 Lark HT
      '63 Wagonaire
      '66 Frankenbaker
      No, this was just one proposal. According to Ed, they never really made a final decision on the front. Another shot I have shows it having a standard '51 bulletnose, but the same grille. If I can't figure out a way to recreate this grille, I will go with the '51 version.

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tutone63

Good luck with your project! Don't get discouraged and quit if the going gets tough, though. It will be worth it to have a "one of a kind" Studebaker when it is done!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction.
        Thanks, and I must say that even if it can't be done, Ill enjoy trying!

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Wow - at first glance I had a flashback of being scared to get on escalators as a kid...

<center>60S-W4 - 7E7-122
          </center>

Comment

Hee hee...yeah, that grille does look like something off an escalator! Or a really enormous hair trimmer.

Chris, I hope you go for it and get your N project on the road eventually. Even a "lookalike" Model N (one that was really a '51 under the skin) would be a real prize. And with you building it, it'd be a genuine South Bend car, as well. (Try for 2012...Stude's 160th, and the diamond anniversary of what might have been the launch date of the N.)

Might we see a few bits of it during the May meet?

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Hee hee...yeah, that grille does look like something off an escalator! Or a really enormous hair trimmer.

Chris, I hope you go for it and get your N project on the road eventually. Even a "lookalike" Model N (one that was really a '51 under the skin) would be a real prize. And with you building it, it'd be a genuine South Bend car, as well. (Try for 2012...Stude's 160th, and the diamond anniversary of what might have been the launch date of the N.)

Might we see a few bits of it during the May meet?

S.
              Well, I wanted to have something of it by May, but probably not even close to being road worthy. My goal is to drive it by 2012, if not sooner. I was also thinking about putting my 1952 Centennial coin in the glovebox because this was supposed to be the anniversary car.[8D]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

What'll be an interesting, maybe even rather fun, challenge for you is in poring over photos of N studies (in particular the car you're looking to get parts from), and figuring out where you can improvise to re-create all the one-off cosmetic details. Those Bob Koto "fat blade" taillights, for example: I'm quite sure there was a production car of one make or other that wore similar units. (A Kaiser, maybe?) And the chrome (or stainless) trim cap on the "Z" line on the doors. Wheel-well guards mounted upside down? There's gotta be an existing trim piece, from some make, that'd be about right. Your N will be something of a "found-object sculpture"...that happens to look just like a long-lost prototype car. I'm keen to watch this develop. Keep us posted...

S.

Comment

What'll be an interesting, maybe even rather fun, challenge for you is in poring over photos of N studies (in particular the car you're looking to get parts from), and figuring out where you can improvise to re-create all the one-off cosmetic details. Those Bob Koto "fat blade" taillights, for example: I'm quite sure there was a production car of one make or other that wore similar units. (A Kaiser, maybe?) And the chrome (or stainless) trim cap on the "Z" line on the doors. Wheel-well guards mounted upside down? There's gotta be an existing trim piece, from some make, that'd be about right. Your N will be something of a "found-object sculpture"...that happens to look just like a long-lost prototype car. I'm keen to watch this develop. Keep us posted...

S.
                  I will defionately keep you all posted on this project. How I plan to attempt this is use the origional body of the N (if the proving ground will let me back there to get it, if I can't the project basically dies.) and mount it to a '51 frame and use parts off a '51 parts car. From what I know, the N interior wasn't too different from production '51s-'52s, so that's what this will get. Most all of the body is still there and I think I could do it, the biggest problem right now is getting it.

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

I get it now. According to the Hemmings article in your other post, the N prototypes used 51 front sheetmetal. In fact, a 51 doghouse was still with one of the N bodies when the graveyard was visited for that article.

Scott Rodgers
                    Los Angeles
                    SDC Member since 1989
                    '60 Lark HT
                    '63 Wagonaire
                    '66 Frankenbaker
                    Scott Rodgers
                    Los Angeles
                    SDC Member since 1989
                    \'60 Lark HT
                    \'63 Wagonaire
                    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

S.
                      I will defionately keep you all posted on this project. How I plan to attempt this is use the origional body of the N (if the proving ground will let me back there to get it, if I can't the project basically dies.) and mount it to a '51 frame and use parts off a '51 parts car. From what I know, the N interior wasn't too different from production '51s-'52s, so that's what this will get. Most all of the body is still there and I think I could do it, the biggest problem right now is getting it.

Chris Dresbach
                      Wow Chris. I wish you all the luck. Honestly though getting in and getting the original "N" stuff should be the simple part. I had no trouble working it out for a perfectly timed visit the day following the last South Bend meet so the whole crew of folks could go/help.
                      As I mentioned before if you are having ANY trouble with that part of it let me know.

I think that the truly hardest part will be tracking down the rest of the bits that have "wandered of" from the N prototype over the years during Proving Ground Graveyard visits both Official and Un-Official (trim bits, doors, etc). It is good to hear that you got the trunk and rear fenders. Its a start. Hoefully the car didnt suffer too much in their removal (do I remember someone mentioning a hammer and cold chisel?).

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                      XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                      KARR (Knightrider)
                      Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car's "Hero Car Ranch"; Seattle, Wa.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                      XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                      KARR (Knightrider)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

Yes, you do remember the hammer and chissel, that's how they came off, but I got them and from the post removal pics I have seen, it dosen't look like it suffered too much, and if it did, I have a bigger hammer to beat the dents back out... As for doors and what not, I have been talking to a friend of mine who says he can help me make a new door for the driver side and repair the passenger side along with the firewall. There is another mangled up N out there, so you can be sure that I will pick through it for parts. The car will basically be combined with a 1951 LC, but don't gasp yet. According to what all I know about the N, that's how they origionally built it in the engineering building, and the frame eventually became the 1953 frame we know today. I want to get going on this thing asap too![] Who and how did you get a hold of to get back there DE[?]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris, if I make it to the May swap meet, I would be happy to help you in any way.

SnowLark
                          In the middle of Minnestudea
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Chris, if I make it to the May swap meet, I would be happy to help you in any way.

SnowLark
                            In the middle of Minnestudea
                            Cool! Ill take you up on the offer, thanks Brent!!!

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

I contacted the head honcho at the proving grounds. I actually had to work with 2 guys becuase the facility manager changed in the interim between initial contact and the planned pickup day. I did have the bonus of locals who were able to meet and plan with him directly. I suppose it may have made a great deal of diffrence that the Sandcar was planned to go to the SNM when completed for long term display.
                              If you plan to keep it in your garage, you may or may not have the same luck. Still your first contact at the proving grounds would be him (decision is really in his hands). Your south bend SDC folks can likely give you a refrence too, as they use the proving ground track on an annual basis, and probably have to coordiante with the same guy.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                              XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                              KARR (Knightrider)

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                              XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                              KARR (Knightrider)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Desert Explorer

I contacted the head honcho at the proving grounds. I actually had to work with 2 guys becuase the facility manager changed in the interim between initial contact and the planned pickup day. I did have the bonus of locals who were able to meet and plan with him directly. I suppose it may have made a great deal of diffrence that the Sandcar was planned to go to the SNM when completed for long term display.
                                If you plan to keep it in your garage, you may or may not have the same luck. Still your first contact at the proving grounds would be him (decision is really in his hands). Your south bend SDC folks can likely give you a refrence too, as they use the proving ground track on an annual basis, and probably have to coordiante with the same guy.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                                XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                                KARR (Knightrider)

Some of the guys have told me to talk to Mike Lenyo. I am hoping to talk to him at the next SDC meeting coming up. I really hope it won't be too hard to get the N, sad to see it rot.

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                                X