Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front of the Model "N"......

Silver Hawk Member Chris_Dresbach's Avatar

Front of the Model "N"......

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

You seem to really like the Model N, Chris. I think you should build a clone. []

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

I wonder if some of the German Ford stylists saw this when they designed the Taunus 15M.

http://www.philseed.com/images/fd-taunus15m55.jpg

Craig

Is that a Chevrolet car in the background? It definately isnt a Stude.

SnowLark
    In the middle of Minnestudea

quote:Originally posted by Sdude

You seem to really like the Model N, Chris. I think you should build a clone. []

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Well, that's sorta the plan. I already bought the rear fenders and trunk, now am working on making arrangements to go to the proving ground to get the rest of the N, then combine it with a '51 to make a "as close to origional" restoration.

Chris Dresbach

<h3>WOW</h3>

Good on ya Chris.

I can't wait to see the finished product. [][]

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

quote:Originally posted by Sdude

<h3>WOW</h3>

Good on ya Chris.

I can't wait to see the finished product. [][]

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Neither can I! I can't wait to start! Should be a fun challenge.[]

Chris Dresbach

I really like the N also.

President Member Invalid User Name's Avatar
    quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Is that a Chevrolet car in the background? It definately isnt a Stude.

SnowLark
    It sure looks like it. A couple weeks ago there was a picture taken in the design studio that had a 1950 Ford in the back ground. Somebody stated that Studebaker would buy brand X cars and study them.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

President Member
    "Is that a Chevrolet car in the background? It definately isnt a Stude"
    Looks like a 52 Chevy.

President Member
    When I did the research on the '42 model,I came across sales documentation of other brands being sold by the factory along with new and used'42 Studebakers in '46 and '47.

Richard

quote:Originally posted by Retired

When I did the research on the '42 model,I came across sales documentation of other brands being sold by the factory along with new and used'42 Studebakers in '46 and '47.
    It was a well-known fact that Studebaker always bought competitive makes of cars over the years for testing and evaluation. In the late 1940's and early 50's, they also bought an assortment of foreign cars to look at closely. A '51 Lancia appeared at an auction about ten years ago that listed 'Studebaker Corporation' as the first owner on the title.

Craig

Silver Hawk Member
    All I can say is that we can thank our lucky stars that the Model N was stillborn, and got replaced by the '53s we know and love.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

President Member
    This is a shot I've never seen before. Hard to tell, but is this also a clay? It has real headlights, but the chrome looks like it's foil-covered and the windshield looks all black. Is this how the actual N prototype's front end looked?

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    '66 Frankenbaker

President Member
    Good luck with your project! Don't get discouraged and quit if the going gets tough, though. It will be worth it to have a "one of a kind" Studebaker when it is done!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction.

quote:Originally posted by gordr

All I can say is that we can thank our lucky stars that the Model N was stillborn, and got replaced by the '53s we know and love.

Well... I also like the '53, but disagree... I think the N was a very cool car.[^][8D]

Chris Dresbach

quote:Originally posted by scott.rodgers

This is a shot I've never seen before. Hard to tell, but is this also a clay? It has real headlights, but the chrome looks like it's foil-covered and the windshield looks all black. Is this how the actual N prototype's front end looked?

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    '66 Frankenbaker
    No, this was just one proposal. According to Ed, they never really made a final decision on the front. Another shot I have shows it having a standard '51 bulletnose, but the same grille. If I can't figure out a way to recreate this grille, I will go with the '51 version.

Chris Dresbach

quote:Originally posted by tutone63

Good luck with your project! Don't get discouraged and quit if the going gets tough, though. It will be worth it to have a "one of a kind" Studebaker when it is done!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction.
    Thanks, and I must say that even if it can't be done, Ill enjoy trying!

Chris Dresbach

Wow - at first glance I had a flashback of being scared to get on escalators as a kid...

<center>60S-W4 - 7E7-122
    </center>

President Member
    Hee hee...yeah, that grille does look like something off an escalator! Or a really enormous hair trimmer.

Chris, I hope you go for it and get your N project on the road eventually. Even a "lookalike" Model N (one that was really a '51 under the skin) would be a real prize. And with you building it, it'd be a genuine South Bend car, as well. (Try for 2012...Stude's 160th, and the diamond anniversary of what might have been the launch date of the N.)

Might we see a few bits of it during the May meet?

S.

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Hee hee...yeah, that grille does look like something off an escalator! Or a really enormous hair trimmer.

Chris, I hope you go for it and get your N project on the road eventually. Even a "lookalike" Model N (one that was really a '51 under the skin) would be a real prize. And with you building it, it'd be a genuine South Bend car, as well. (Try for 2012...Stude's 160th, and the diamond anniversary of what might have been the launch date of the N.)

Might we see a few bits of it during the May meet?

S.
    Well, I wanted to have something of it by May, but probably not even close to being road worthy. My goal is to drive it by 2012, if not sooner. I was also thinking about putting my 1952 Centennial coin in the glovebox because this was supposed to be the anniversary car.[8D]

Chris Dresbach

President Member
    What'll be an interesting, maybe even rather fun, challenge for you is in poring over photos of N studies (in particular the car you're looking to get parts from), and figuring out where you can improvise to re-create all the one-off cosmetic details. Those Bob Koto "fat blade" taillights, for example: I'm quite sure there was a production car of one make or other that wore similar units. (A Kaiser, maybe?) And the chrome (or stainless) trim cap on the "Z" line on the doors. Wheel-well guards mounted upside down? There's gotta be an existing trim piece, from some make, that'd be about right. Your N will be something of a "found-object sculpture"...that happens to look just like a long-lost prototype car. I'm keen to watch this develop. Keep us posted...

S.

What'll be an interesting, maybe even rather fun, challenge for you is in poring over photos of N studies (in particular the car you're looking to get parts from), and figuring out where you can improvise to re-create all the one-off cosmetic details. Those Bob Koto "fat blade" taillights, for example: I'm quite sure there was a production car of one make or other that wore similar units. (A Kaiser, maybe?) And the chrome (or stainless) trim cap on the "Z" line on the doors. Wheel-well guards mounted upside down? There's gotta be an existing trim piece, from some make, that'd be about right. Your N will be something of a "found-object sculpture"...that happens to look just like a long-lost prototype car. I'm keen to watch this develop. Keep us posted...

S.
    I will defionately keep you all posted on this project. How I plan to attempt this is use the origional body of the N (if the proving ground will let me back there to get it, if I can't the project basically dies.) and mount it to a '51 frame and use parts off a '51 parts car. From what I know, the N interior wasn't too different from production '51s-'52s, so that's what this will get. Most all of the body is still there and I think I could do it, the biggest problem right now is getting it.

Chris Dresbach

President Member
    I get it now. According to the Hemmings article in your other post, the N prototypes used 51 front sheetmetal. In fact, a 51 doghouse was still with one of the N bodies when the graveyard was visited for that article.

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    '66 Frankenbaker

Speedster Member
    quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

S.
    I will defionately keep you all posted on this project. How I plan to attempt this is use the origional body of the N (if the proving ground will let me back there to get it, if I can't the project basically dies.) and mount it to a '51 frame and use parts off a '51 parts car. From what I know, the N interior wasn't too different from production '51s-'52s, so that's what this will get. Most all of the body is still there and I think I could do it, the biggest problem right now is getting it.

Chris Dresbach
    Wow Chris. I wish you all the luck. Honestly though getting in and getting the original "N" stuff should be the simple part. I had no trouble working it out for a perfectly timed visit the day following the last South Bend meet so the whole crew of folks could go/help.
    As I mentioned before if you are having ANY trouble with that part of it let me know.

I think that the truly hardest part will be tracking down the rest of the bits that have "wandered of" from the N prototype over the years during Proving Ground Graveyard visits both Official and Un-Official (trim bits, doors, etc). It is good to hear that you got the trunk and rear fenders. Its a start. Hoefully the car didnt suffer too much in their removal (do I remember someone mentioning a hammer and cold chisel?).

55 Commander Regal Coupe
    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
    KARR (Knightrider)
    Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car's "Hero Car Ranch"; Seattle, Wa.

Yes, you do remember the hammer and chissel, that's how they came off, but I got them and from the post removal pics I have seen, it dosen't look like it suffered too much, and if it did, I have a bigger hammer to beat the dents back out... As for doors and what not, I have been talking to a friend of mine who says he can help me make a new door for the driver side and repair the passenger side along with the firewall. There is another mangled up N out there, so you can be sure that I will pick through it for parts. The car will basically be combined with a 1951 LC, but don't gasp yet. According to what all I know about the N, that's how they origionally built it in the engineering building, and the frame eventually became the 1953 frame we know today. I want to get going on this thing asap too![] Who and how did you get a hold of to get back there DE[?]

Chris Dresbach

Chris, if I make it to the May swap meet, I would be happy to help you in any way.

SnowLark

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Chris, if I make it to the May swap meet, I would be happy to help you in any way.

SnowLark
    Cool! Ill take you up on the offer, thanks Brent!!!

Chris Dresbach

Speedster Member
    I contacted the head honcho at the proving grounds. I actually had to work with 2 guys becuase the facility manager changed in the interim between initial contact and the planned pickup day. I did have the bonus of locals who were able to meet and plan with him directly. I suppose it may have made a great deal of diffrence that the Sandcar was planned to go to the SNM when completed for long term display.
    If you plan to keep it in your garage, you may or may not have the same luck. Still your first contact at the proving grounds would be him (decision is really in his hands). Your south bend SDC folks can likely give you a refrence too, as they use the proving ground track on an annual basis, and probably have to coordiante with the same guy.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
    KARR (Knightrider)

quote:Originally posted by Desert Explorer

I contacted the head honcho at the proving grounds. I actually had to work with 2 guys becuase the facility manager changed in the interim between initial contact and the planned pickup day. I did have the bonus of locals who were able to meet and plan with him directly. I suppose it may have made a great deal of diffrence that the Sandcar was planned to go to the SNM when completed for long term display.
    If you plan to keep it in your garage, you may or may not have the same luck. Still your first contact at the proving grounds would be him (decision is really in his hands). Your south bend SDC folks can likely give you a refrence too, as they use the proving ground track on an annual basis, and probably have to coordiante with the same guy.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
    KARR (Knightrider)

Some of the guys have told me to talk to Mike Lenyo. I am hoping to talk to him at the next SDC meeting coming up. I really hope it won't be too hard to get the N, sad to see it rot.

Chris Dresbach

Speedster Member
    Did you get the Prototype Model N car out in May? I have been hopefully watching to see where this goes. I am sure Mike was helpful in you endevor.
    55 Commander Regal Coupe
    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
    KARR (Knightrider)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Speedster Member
    Hi Chris,
    I know this is a really old thread, but found myself wondering how the recovery and build of the Model N, and your build of the 53 Coupe prototype were coming along. You may have a whole separate thread on that, but found nothing new with a quick search.

I was thinking about the thing a day or two ago. Is it true about what I heard that the the styling was a lot like '47-'52, but it was a much less tall car like the '53s?
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougHolverson View Post
    I was thinking about the thing a day or two ago. Is it true about what I heard that the the styling was a lot like '47-'52, but it was a much less tall car like the '53s?
    I think there were a few versions rotting away in the Proving Grounds High Speed Oval Graveyard. Probably some engineering photos of them. I think there is some photos higher up in this thread, and other threads on the N

You got that right!
    Quote Originally Posted by gordr View Post

Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post

I wonder if was used as a styling study for the new Lexus ES....

Craig

President Member
    I think the Lexus ES stole the idea from a 1961 Plymouth.

Bob Miles
    Different by Design
    Different in Delight!

Speedster Member
    Is Chris still even on the forum? I noticed his profile said "former SDC member" and cited "political differences".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    I think the Lexus ES stole the idea from a 1961 Plymouth.

Bob Miles
    Different by Design
    Different in Delight!
    Bob, that is EXACTLY what I thought after seeing my first pic of a Lexus ES. Hate to say it, but IMHO both are ugly.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

President Member
    I brought that very fact up to a car snob friend of mine. He thinks the only cars that are any good is the 1956 Ford F100, 65 Mustang Fastback, 1966-1977 Bronco and the Lexus SUV he owns. I brought up the fact that the new Lexus stole the grille idea from the humble Plymouth. His response: " Well I am not up on the new Lexus" He forgot he told me he did not like the grille on the new sedans.

I am thinking of a river in Egypt: De Nile.

Bob Miles
    Different by Design
    Different by Delight!