Rack and Pinion Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack and Pinion Steering

Is it feasible to put rach & pinion steering on a 54 champion coupe?
    If so, what works?

Check Jerry Forrester's posts for the last month. He has a great setup based on Mid-90's GM mid-size. If I were to do mine again I use his.

In fact, Hopefully he'll see your post and answer.

He likes to post pictures of his work. Back at yah Jerry!![}]

Bob

Comment

quote:Is it feasible to put rach & pinion steering on a 54 champion coupe? If so, what works?
      Yes, it can be done, and I'd agree with sob A "center-takeoff" rack is a must. If the rack does not attach the arms in the center, very close to where the Stude tie rod ends are supposed to be, bump steer will be the inevitable result.

No, it is not easy and more have been done incorrectly than correctly.

Maybe you should try a search here. This subject has been covered in excruciating detail many times previously.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

how do i find these posts? I guess i'm not computer savy enough to find them. I did try..thank you joedipipi@msn.com I am presntly using a slick street set up but would really like power steering in my modified c coupe...again thank you..

Comment

Just go to the search function in the upper right. Search by topic-steering, tech forum and member-Jerry forrester and you'll find this.

Scrool down through the post and you'll find the picture and description

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53 stude mod

how do i find these posts? I guess i'm not computer savy enough to find them. I did try..thank you joedipipi@msn.com I am presntly using a slick street set up but would really like power steering in my modified c coupe...again thank you..
            Here's my webshots. Pages 3-4-5 shows the R&P.

I almost forgot to post a pic. (for Bob's benefit) [][^]

Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

53 stude mod-

The Slick Street Stuff setup uses a Flaming River Omni Rear Steer Rack & Pinion unit. If you want to switch over to power, you would probably want to go with something like this:

Comment

The Slick Street setup uses completely different suspension. In my experience, installing a standard rear-steer rack with OEM Stude suspension will produce bump steer.

Using a rack which mounts the tie rods in the center near the OEM location works best with Studes.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

Try these guys--
                  Howdy folks! Been busy as all get out with Studebakers last week. We had a 1955 Commander post coupe in for a suspension upgrade and rare 19...

53commander HDTP
                  53 Champion HDTP
                  64 Champ long bed V8
                  64 Champ long bed V8
                  55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                  53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Those guys do very nice street rod work. Their $4000 cost is entirely reasonable, but will scare off most CASOs.

One caveat,because I've been there many times and am hopelessly far down the slippery slope on my pickup just now - once a project like this starts, there is no stopping place. You want to pay someone to install rack and pinion steering? While it is apart, might as well swap in a late Chevy, overdrive automatic, air conditioning, a new rear suspension, new interior, new paint, new chrome. Pretty soon, it's a nice street rod with a few Stude pieces left and the bank account is $25,000 in the red.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

Searching old posts, trying to do my homework. And once again Jerry Forrester seems to be the man. Jerry I want to hear from you more! How did the rack shown in this thread work out after driven. Did you like it? Was it worth the effort? What would you do differently? Pleease give me reasons to follow your lead.
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Steeroids also has a center take off power R&P with the tie rod attachment at the rear of the rack, eliminating the need for an adapter (such as w/ the 1990's GM skyhawk, Lemans, etc units). Having done the GM unit, if I were to do it again, I would go w/ Steeroids (there is another steering supplier w/ the same R&P system as Steeroids, but cannot think of its name). It is more $$$$ and requires a cross member to mount it, but is much more direct and the extra crossmember adds rigidity to the Stude' frame.

Also, if you have a turner brake retro, check for hose clearance when the wheel is at full right or left and at upper wheel extension (as when pulling into a narrow steep driveway). My '63 Hawk would have sheared off the hose at the wheel cylinder if the above conditions would have happened..
                        Good luck w/ your project, Paul Keller

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Keller View Post
                          Steeroids also has a center take off power R&P with the tie rod attachment at the rear of the rack, eliminating the need for an adapter
                          I looked at their web site and most of the forwarding links and could not find what you describe. Must have missed it. Point me to it please. I want one.

[QUOTE (such as w/ the 1990's GM skyhawk, Lemans, etc units).[/QUOTE]

That's all I saw on all their applications.

I hope one day they'll make a kit for our Studes.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I also hope someday, someone will make a rack that will move 8 inches instead of the 5 3/4 like most every rack I have checked. That will sure solve a lot of the problems encountered when installing the R&P on a vehicle not originally designed for one.
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                              I also hope someday, someone will make a rack that will move 8 inches instead of the 5 3/4 like most every rack I have checked. That will sure solve a lot of the problems encountered when installing the R&P on a vehicle not originally designed for one.
                              Jerry, You still have not told me how yours worked? Were you happy? And from your last statement I assume the turning radius is decreased when installing a R&P.
                              Still sitting on the fence ready to fall either way. Had an old hotrodder friend here yesterday, who was looking at my Hawks in the shop. And did metion that he had a couple of C/K cars in his day, and that they had terrible steering. But some of the purists on the forum have made it sound like there is nothing wrong with Studebaker system? I want to put an 86 Corvette (C4) in my Hawk and leave Sandi's stock?? But never having driven a C/K car or even ridden in one I am in the dark here.
                              Brian
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X