Wiring 1962 Hawk Tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring 1962 Hawk Tachometer

I just received a new Tach sending unit from Stude Int'l., No. 1555474R. Unfortunately, half of the writing on the back of the instruction was not copied and so I can't figure out what the instructions are trying to warn me about!! Does anyone have these instructions in their entirety that could scan them and send them to me. I had wanted to install the sending unit in the car tomorrow, but obviously can't without the instruction. I looked at Ray Lin's instructions, but they are apparently not for the same unit. This replacement unit apparently is not hooked up the same as the original unit.... HELP!!!

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

I have a sending unit from Dave T bow for my 62 GT and I think the instructions have the "cautions" you are looking for. If I can get to the garage tonight I'll contact you.

Peter Bishop

Comment

The used 1962 GT tachometer that I bought consisted of the tach, a rectangular unit that all the wiring came out of and sealed with some sort of plastic, a small junction, and the wiring. Photos shown.
      Attached Files
      Bill L.
      1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Anyone happen to know if a template exists to install the factory tachometer into the dash from the front without taking the dash apart?
        Bill L.
        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

The hold down strap and nuts can be reached with the dash in the car, but is a PITA job. No other way to extract it, sorry.

Comment

If you haven't already done so, remove your driver side seat. Takes about 5 minutes and saves a LOT of neck and back strain. Oh, and disconnect your battery too!

Comment

Ah the English language! What I was trying to poorly ask the forum is if a template exists to make the hole to install the tach on a non-tach equipped 62 GT. I was able to get a used original tach assembly but wasn't sure exactly where to make the center for the tach hole. I carefully measured the position of the clock on the left side of the dash and transferred the same measurements to the blank right side since the outside diameter for the clock and tach trim rings are the same. I made a template using the smaller rear diameter of the tach trim ring, drilled a series of 1/16" diameter holes close together, used a Dremel tool and connected the holes with an abrasive cut-off disc, and then ground the hole smooth with an abrasive cylinder. It was a lot of work! The panel is steel and not aluminum. I've got the tach installed in the dash now and I'm waiting for advice from a fellow on the GT Hawk Registry as to where to mount the electronic sending unit and junction block under the dash. I think I've got the wiring correct.
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
              X