Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V8 Water pump heavy duty vs. std. difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Water pump heavy duty vs. std. difference?

What is the difference between Avanti vs. R1-2 Hawk vs. Std duty v8 pump? jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Here is a visual of the two that are available now...

Goes together like this....

Comment

Out of curiosity, are the manifolds the pumps attach to the same?

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island Chapter
      http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

historically, the bearings were deeper and wider on the HD units

Comment

Thanks Chuck and JB jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Out of curiosity, are the manifolds the pumps attach to the same?

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island Chapter
            http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

No, but yu can bolt on either pump, but the fan hubs won't match.

JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP , please explain the R series water manifold vs standard one. Is the difference
              in depth due to the Harmonic Balancer,and therefore pulley difference?
              I know the supercharger location accounts for the water inlet location etc.
              Thanks
              Bill H
              Daytona Beach
              SDC member since 1970
              Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

An interesting side note to Chuck's great pics.

I always thought that with A/C or Avanti power possibly a Supercharger, that since the load is greater on these pumps you would get a larger, H.D. Bearing, strangely you DO NOT! Same bearing, what you get is a beefier Bearing boss!

Note that you also get a deeper pulley hub center "NOSE" for the extra pulleys and Viscous Drive Fan. [^]
                ______________________________________________________________________

shifter4, suffice it to say: they are NOT interchangeable! The Avanti water manifold IN AN Avanti has many different requirements than a Lark/Hawk, it is way deeper because of a tilted, cross flow radiator that is far from the engine, a surge tank, forward opening hood, space needed for Supercharger or A/C which all Avantis are set-up to accept.

If you are talking about a Jet Thrust Lark/Hawk, an R1 water manifold is not different than a Std. V-8. AND, R1's have the same size vibration dampener as R2 even though the R2 has a S/C belt groove.

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

With the big fan etc, this is what can happen.....note crack around the flange. Leaked a lot of water.

Comment

I have to wonder where one would get a custom stud like that, with the shoulder IN THE MIDDLE! I guess, machine it yourself! Weird! [:0]

Whatever they are, they're a good way to ruin a Standard pump!

StudeRich
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:
                      If you are talking about a Jet Thrust Lark/Hawk, an R1 water manifold is not different than a Std. V-8. AND, R1's have the same size vibration dampener as R2 even though the R2 has a S/C belt groove.

StudeRich

Rich, incorrect, all R1/R2 Lark/Hawk dampers have a fan belt grove, the R2's have a added, big, SC wide belt pulley.

JDP/Maryland
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Why would they ruin the standard pump? Ran them for years, but with a smaller fan. Only began having problems when I changed to another fan.

There is nothing "custom" about those studs, they came from NAPA.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I have to wonder where one would get a custom stud like that, with the shoulder IN THE MIDDLE! I guess, machine it yourself! Weird! [:0]

StudeRich
                          [?][?]

Looks like a typical commercially available stud to me, available from Dorman and other companies. Dorman has studs with different threaded lengths, different shoulder lengths, etc.

Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
                            Those are not sholders.
                            It is a non-threaded part of the stud.
                            Carb. studs from MrGasket. Come in 1 3/8 to 2 1/2" lengths. Part #'s 59, 60, 61, 62

Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Good questions and good info, Chuck and JDP, about a topic very "current" for me. I took apart my '63 GT with R1 to get the radiator re cored and put on a new water pump. There was a standard water pump on the car with badly worn out bearing, with single pulley (no AC), no spacer, with the viscous drive fan clutch bolted directly to the water pump hub. I bought an Avanti wp without realizing the difference in the hub and found out the hard way that I couldn't put on the pulley and fan because of the depth of the hub. So, at the suggestion of Chuck Collins and a couple others I'm going to try having the hub pulled off my Avanti wp and press on the standard hub so that I still have the large bearing housing. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will work..

Gene Nagle
                              1963 Hawk R1
                              Gene Nagle
                              1963 Hawk R1
                              1985 Avanti

Comment

Working...
                              X