Ross TL steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross TL steering box

The steering box in my 55 Commander is leaking at the pitman arm shaft.The manual says use a sharp punch or awl to remove,can I assume the gearbox does not need to be disassembed to replace the seal.Is GO 90 a good lubricant fot the box or does it use a grease oil mixture,

Ross box uses a special lubricant, some people use CV grease, there is a vendor that advertises in TW that sells what is supposedly a modern replacement for the original lube, there is nothing that you will find in your FLAPS that is a direct replacement for the original lube. Shop manual says you can use 140 weight gear oil to top up if it is just low.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It is simi-fluid Grease for Ross gearboxes, available at S.I.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the info.Remove3d the seal today Will order from SI tomorrow

Comment

I use Shell Alvania 00 semi fluid grease in the Ross gear boxes with excellent results. I've used it in several gear boxes without replacing the seals and the grease hasn't leaked out. Bud

Comment

Bud, isn't that cotton picker grease? If so
            John Deere has a replacement. How long have
            used it?

Tex E. Grier

Comment

A friend of mine in Colorado uses the Shell 00 grease in the gear cases of a couple of pieces of farm equipment so there is a 35lb pail of the grease in the shop and I took a big coffee can of it to use in Stude gear boxes. I've been using the 00 grease for years with good results and I would bet that the John Deere grease is the same stuff. Bud

Comment

I just disassembled the Ross gearbox on my 1950 2R10, which would not hold 90 weight oil even for 24 hours. The cause was that the Pitman arm shaft was corroded where the seal lip contacts the shaft, which means even a new seal will not retain any kind of oil that is fluid. I have had similar leaking on early postwar (WW2) and on prewar (WW2) Rolls-Royces. Penrite "Steering Gearbox Lubricant" works fine. It has the consistency of a light Vaseline. Google "Penrite" to find the US distributor. Many years good experience on R-R cars. Cost is about the same as for the Stude Intl grease. Good luck, Phil B.

Philip W Birkeland
                1950 Studebaker 2R10
                <jeanbirkeland@mac.com>
                253.564.9109 h
                253.279.9724 c

Comment

This is what makes this forum GREAT. I was looking for a replacement for the "Ross Gear and Tool" approved steering grease. A quick search and tada.
                  Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge.
                  DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
                  1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

Comment

I use John Deere Corn head grease in those old manual boxes. It must somewhat replicate what was used originally, I suspect it's the same as used in JD Cotton Pickers.

Comment

A few years ago there was an article in Turning wheels on replacing the Ross steering box with a Saginaw box from 1962-66 Larks. October 1998 Turning wheels
                      It reduced the steering effort and maintenance headaches.
                      If you want to rebuild your Ross box.

Last edited by rkapteyn; 04-16-2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Someone on this forum recommended this Lucas product for my '59 Lark, standard steering. It works great and steering effort is reduced as well and now I use it in my excavator swing assembly instead of 90W gear lube.
                        It is one great product for all gears and chains.

Lucas Chain Lubricant was developed to be a long lasting, all weather, all temperature lubricant and protectant for chains, sprockets, cables and open gears.

Good luck,
                        Bill

Comment

Working...
                        X