1963 Avanti R2 value vs R3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by bige

You would also need to have the area below the grill painted red instead of flat black!

I think the car is a beautiful paint job attached to a nice car. If the buyer wants to build a high point show car maybe he's ahead a little but there's still a lot of time and I think money to be spent and he shouldn't pay too much for this car.

If the buyer wants a nice Avanti with a 4 speed that he will rarely drive on the highway, wants to impress at the local cruises and needs to build up his biceps while driving than maybe the car needs nothing else and you pay a little more.

I never thought of high beam for the arm on the column, I bet that's what it is.

Island Dragway, Great Meadows, NJ Summer 2009

BTW, speaking of headlights, check out those lamps, some serious wattage there.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

The right paint guy can do wonders. I had the quarter and trunk re-shot on my 76 Chrysler and the match is perfect.

I'm still a little surprised you would pay 25K for that car. It even needs a front bumper center section!

BTW, I forgot how beautiful that '64 survivor was. Those wire caps change the look of the car but also look so good they should have been the standard cap.

ErnieR

Comment

The black interior does look dingy but some times black can give that look, do you think the exhaust pipes shoot flames not cool on an Avanti, that is part of what make the rear end of an Avanti look like a bad dude, not 2 into 4 pipes, should be an easy $20,000.00 maybe not in today's market..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
        canbstudebakers-
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

The right paint guy can do wonders. I had the quarter and trunk re-shot on my 76 Chrysler and the match is perfect.

I'm still a little surprised you would pay 25K for that car. It even needs a front bumper center section!

BTW, I forgot how beautiful that '64 survivor was. Those wire caps change the look of the car but also look so good they should have been the standard cap.

ErnieR

That's how I make a living, you think it's a 12-15K car, if I find a owner that would sell me a car like that at that price, I think I could put a few grand in it, and make a tidy profit.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Interesting item on console, which tells me that it's owner was European alright(drives for the experience rather than just a simple point A to point B), the radio's not installed. There's an Avanti Radio Delete Plate(call it what you want, lol) installed instead of a radio.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
            [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I know John and that's why I wouldn't truly argue a price point with you. In fact, if I was faced with purchasing a car like that you would be the first person I would ask for direction.

But it's fun to toss opinions back and forth...

ErnieR

quote:

That's how I make a living, you think it's a 12-15K car, if I find a owner that would sell me a car like that at that price, I think I could put a few grand in it, and make a tidy profit.

JDP/Maryland

Comment

I know John and that's why I wouldn't truly argue a price point with you. In fact, if I was faced with purchasing a car like that you would be the first person I would ask for direction.

But it's fun to toss opinions back and forth...

ErnieR

quote:

JDP/Maryland

Yep, and the rest of the forum may well decide to pick a value somewhere in the middle.

JDP/Maryland
                JDP Maryland

Comment

About the lamps, Europe used different standards than the US did when it came to headlamps(they were tons brighter). The headlamp may very well be a conversion to H4 headlamps, instead of having the US sealed beams. The sad part is the only way to know that is to look at the headlamp itself to see if its Hella, Cibie, etc.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                  [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                  [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                  [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Ernie the only true way to determine the value of this car is #1 go inspect it and then make an offer. This car is actually in the AOAI roster and is regestered to a firm in FLA. The car is located in West Chester PA about a 2-3 hour ride for you if you don't get lost. he also had a 63 Daytona Convertible that we checked out qhich was nice but over priced. "Cars That matter" Dave Kinney's pric guide tells me this car pending inspection has a value of $25-30K tops. Pictures are a wonderful thing but a first hand look at a car like this is a must. Then the actual price is what a willing buyer is willing to pay a willing seller. Saw the car before and JP's estimate is what I'd pay.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Ernie the only true way to determine the value of this car is #1 go inspect it and then make an offer. This car is actually in the AOAI roster and is regestered to a firm in FLA. The car is located in West Chester PA about a 2-3 hour ride for you if you don't get lost. he also had a 63 Daytona Convertible that we checked out qhich was nice but over priced. "Cars That matter" Dave Kinney's pric guide tells me this car pending inspection has a value of $25-30K tops. Pictures are a wonderful thing but a first hand look at a car like this is a must. Then the actual price is what a willing buyer is willing to pay a willing seller. Saw the car before and JP's estimate is what I'd pay.
                      Many thanks Guys, lots of good info here already. I had already sent an email to the Dealer indicating that I would buy the car for $25,000 cash if it checked out OK and he refused that offer. That is why I wanted to get some opinions from all of you before I went higher. I have requested additional photos and a list of all work done. I am not much inclined to go above $29,000 at this point.

Also I almost forgot to add, does the fact that it has Italian mods on it decrease or increase it's value.

Thanks again,

Steve

Comment

I wouldn't have to go see the car to determine if it's a #1 I can tell very quickly by the pictures it isn't. An inspection would reveal what level #3 that car is.

To me that car was dressed to sell. It is poorly detailed, needs bumpers, carpet, paintwork in spite of the 15K paintjob ( lower front valence and fenders where the side maker lights are ), probably a new dash fascia, a clock, lots of detail work on the engine, ( just look at the plumbing on the dual master cylinder and you have to wonder how many other "upgrades" were done in the same fashion ) trim over the passenger side window properly positioned...I could go on just from the pictures.

Besides the fact that it's an early car with no power steering and a 4.09 rear. Not a good highway car and heavy handed around town. The road tests of the day showed that an auto equpped 3.73 R2 was quicker in the 1/4 mile and that they felt the 4 speed ratios were poorly matched to the engines torque curve.

These pictures tell more by what's not shown than what is. Lots of looks at the paint and the mediocre recover on the seats. No headliner or undercarriage. I'm really hard pressed to see the value in this car.

This car is a "Cougar" Avanti. Lots of makeup for a night out but up close in the morning light you'll be sorry you paid $29,000 for that car. I'd rather have this one that I would bet a beer ( or two ) doesn't crack 20K.

Of course, if I was remotely interested in the car my heart would overcome my brain and I would be writing a check and then rationalizing my poor decision later. All the while trying to convince most of the Stude world that the lights on the fenders make it rare because it is an Italian Avanti.

Hey! I could also answer yes when I'm asked if it's Italian by the general public.

ErnieR

quote:
                        Originally posted by Avantidon

Comment

Guys,

I have given this car a lot more thought and I have advised the dealer that I am no longer interested in purchasing the car.

You guys were a tremendous help and noticed a lot of things that I did not.

thanks again,

Steve

Comment

quote:[i

This car is a "Cougar" Avanti. Lots of makeup for a night out but up close in the morning light you'll be sorry you paid $29,000 for that car. I'd rather have this one that I would bet a beer ( or two ) doesn't crack 20K.

Again, we look at cars differently. The linked Avanti does not run, needs paint and body work, the power windows are froze up and it'll need brakes and a lot more. Even at 15K, you be over 30K in to get it in the shape of your "Cougar" even without spending 20K for paint. I do agree the liked Avanti should not break 20K, the Cougar is still worth the 25K offered but turned down IMHO.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

VIN# for this car is R1465. Folks in FLA who have some involvement in this car are Motorcar Gallery Inc. These are the people who returned the car from Italy to the US. Don't know if this is a help or not but I do have doubts about lots of things here. Steve glad you got a response to your e-mail because trying to get a return phone call is like pulling hens teeth. Enough said.
                              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

If you are interested in a R-2 4 speed Avanti, I would be willing to sell mine. It is a late production '64 (serial # 5400) that is maroon in color.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Working...
                                X