No announcement yet.

1963 Avanti R2 value vs R3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My R2 is a 4-speed, manual steering (it ain't that bad - and it saves power), manual windows. It's in as good of condition as that car, has new carpet, fresh two-stage paint, new stainless steel exhaust, and more, and I will sell it for less than that guy wants. If you are interested, send me an e-mail.

========================
    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
    Martinez, CA

Comment

I'm glad that fmarshall replied about his manual steering Avanti not being that bad. Power steering is nicer, but manual steering usually only needs a driver readjustment. A manual steering car has many differences other than the power steering pump: like a different ratio steering box and different fulcrum points for the linkage. Probably many people assume a manual steering car is like power steering car with a dead power steering pump - which would of course be awful. Until you have driven a manual steering car, do not automatically write them off as being difficult to drive. The one thing about manual steering is that you need is some rolling movement of the car before cranking the steering - because turning the steering wheel on a manual steering car when it is at a complete dead stop IS a bit of work.

Changing out the 4.09 gears, if it hasn't already been changed for 3.73's or numerically lower, would be a good idea. Given the total cost of a quality differential re-gearing of ~ $800, that would be a nominal expense compared with the cost and value of the car.

Thomas

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

I'm glad that fmarshall replied about his manual steering Avanti not being that bad. Power steering is nicer, but manual steering usually only needs a driver readjustment. A manual steering car has many differences other than the power steering pump: like a different ratio steering box and different fulcrum points for the linkage. Probably many people assume a manual steering car is like power steering car with a dead power steering pump - which would of course be awful. Until you have driven a manual steering car, do not automatically write them off as being difficult to drive. The one thing about manual steering is that you need is some rolling movement of the car before cranking the steering - because turning the steering wheel on a manual steering car when it is at a complete dead stop IS a bit of work.

Changing out the 4.09 gears, if it hasn't already been changed for 3.73's or numerically lower, would be a good idea. Given the total cost of a quality differential re-gearing of ~ $800, that would be a nominal expense compared with the cost and value of the car.

Thomas
        I agree. I have owned three fairly heavy vehicles without power steering for more than 30 years -- a 37 LaSalle, 54 Stude 3R6 pickup, and 62 Impala -- and have never had much trouble parking them. I also have owned two Larks with inoperative power steering and found them to be both imprecise and very difficult to park (until I repaired the p/s). I know vehicles with a lot of options are worth more money, but those without power accessories are often more fun to drive.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Okay, I know it is a '64 and not a '63 but in the question of value vs. price this one,

makes the '63 R2 in question look reasonable.

Thomas

Comment

If I were buying a car based upon the photos shown, I would pay more money for the '63.
            I like the radio delete and other options ,and the fact that it was ordered to the buyers specs and shipped to Italy.

mrbobinc
            mrbobinc

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

Thomas
              In general, I agree with your statement. The majority of the 50+ Studebakers that I have owned had manual steering. When people complain about manual steering it usually just means that something isn't correct or properly lubricated.
              However, I was not speaking in general, but rather the specific case of a Studebaker Avanti factory built with manual steering. I find them to be terrible to drive. I would guess that most here, even those somewhat familiar with Avantis, have never driven one in regular use.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avanti82

Guys,

I would really appreciate your opinion on what a concours quality ( but high mileage)restored 1963 Avanti R2 would be worth in todays market. I know it would be no where near what a R3 would bring and the only info I have is that a "1" rated car would be worth between 25,000 and 30,000 dollars.

This is the car I need to know about: Is this a 95 pt car or even close. Note the wheels and tires, I think it is a strong "1" but not concours quality.

Connors Motorcar Company is located in Pennsylvania. We are committed to keeping a small inventory of quality collector cars. We are always interested in buying vintage autos or will be glad to handle the sale of your car with our consignment program. We can also offer to locate and purchase the car you have always wanted.

Thanks for your responses.

Steve
                Have you actually talked to the people at Connors? They've been sitting on that piece of iron for quite some time. Might try at least a few low-ball offers to open up a line of communication. Connor seems to always have a nice Avanti on a yearly basis, so they probably know more about the marque than most "Classic Car" shops. As for the prices, well recall the value of our $$$ is rapidly diminishing as our vaunted leadership continues to print $$$$ and supply them in vast quantities to Banks & Brokerage houses. I don't believe we can hang on to our older pre-2007 price levels and see prices rising +10% yearly, look what's happened to Gold this year.

Comment

Chuck, don't worry if you missed the gold train, that bubble will pop too. Unless the rest of the world decides that even AFTER all the U.S. tax rates rise and tax revenue does not increase THEN it is all over and the gold bugs will be rewarded. That would also mean that the Chinese have stopped lending back (buying our bonds) to the U.S. If/when that day comes, just make sure you have some land to plant your home farm.

Classic cars are not a completely historically great place to be socking investment money. Buy it because you like it and want it, pay what you think it is worth and enjoy it any way you can. One of the drivers of the U.S. values of some collector cars is when overseas buyers look at the exchange rates and decide our collector cars are a bargain - but I don't see too many Studes hitting the big auction houses that cater to an international clientele.

Thomas

Comment

Working...
                  X