Water Pump for 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump for 1950 Champion

I have a 1950 Champion engine. The water pump has gone bad and I purchased a new one from Studebaker International. When I took the old pump off I gfound the bottom ear was broken off. I put the new one on and the bottom ear on it broke off. I found a spacer on the old pump and tried to order a new pump with the spacer. No one knew what I was talking about I ordered another new pumb installed it with the old spacer and the bottom ear broke again. At a hundred dollars a pop I don't want to try another one until I can figure out the problem.
    Has anyone had this same problem and if so what is the solution?

I'd look very closely at the block where the pump mounts. It sounds as if there is missing metal where the bottom screw mounts.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

All I can think of is that maybe someone machined the front of the block to clean up a bad gasket surface, necessitating the use of a spacer to keep the impeller from bottoming in the recess. The bottom ear would be the one to break off, seeing as it's the weakest part.

Remove the pump, look in the cavity, and see if you can see a mark where the impeller bottomed out. The presence of such a mark would prove my guess. You could also use some modelling clay to check the depth to which the impeller goes.

You should be able to get the spacer off the old pump, and reuse it.

Don't throw the broken pumps away. Perhaps SI might give you partial credit for them, as the bearings and seals in them are new, and could possibly be salvaged. Or a local machine shop may be able to disassemble the pump, braze the broken ear back on, and reassemble it. I wouldn't want to try brazing it with the bearing and seal in, for fear of cooking those parts.

Let us know what you find.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thank you both for your help. I will try all of your suggestions.

Comment

can you post some pics?

Comment

Give Bill Cathcart (of Plainfield, Conn.) a call. Bill knows more about Studebaker post war sixes than anyone I know.

I don't have his number handy, but he advertises regularly in Turning Wheels (or do an on-line white pages search). Let us know how you come out.

Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
            1961 Lark Crusier
            1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
            Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Thank you all again. I'll try to get in touch with Bill.
              I don't have any pictures.

Guy

Comment

Working...
              X