Studillac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studillac

I'm doing a write up on my uncle's '53 for an upcoming "Tailgating" in TW. When Pat Skelly bought this car a few years ago, I was determined to find the emblems.

Unfortunately, they really are made of unobtanium.

So, I made one. Not perfect, but it'll work for what we need it for.

Here's a real one. Photo provided by Dick Quinn.

I'd still REALLY like to find a real one to have copied. There's only so much one can do with a picture, a piece of rubber, and tin foil. [)]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Hey, it don't look too bad! Looking forward to that article!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Matthew that is a nice job on the emblem!I bought a 53 hardtop when I was 13 and was told it was a Studillac.I still have the unrestored car,no VIN and cant read the frame so cant verify.A guy had a restored chassis at a Natl meet in S.Bend years ago and told me some things to look for on my car.After looing I dont think that mine was real,Oh well still love the car.Ed

Comment

Ed, email me your phone number. I'd like to talk to you about it. mbstude@gmail.com

Even if yours had a serial number, that wouldn't help to document it as a Bill Frick car. I went so far as to contact Bill Jr., and specifically asked him if there was any way to document a Studillac as a car his dad built. He said there isn't. His dad was too busy building them to record any numbers, or to try keeping track of any of them.

The frame you saw was probably Bob Bee's. Anybody know where his car is now?

And one thing to remember on these cars.. Frick built them all to suit to customer's wants and desires. No two were alike. Makes the mystery that much more interesting.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Real Studilac's have panel with a bunch of bog power resistors on a panel to power the 6 volt stuff off 12 volts. BTW, there are companies on the net that can custom make the script.
          We had a local guy start a frame off on a real one, but I think he passed away, but someone may have the script off that one to copy. He had accumulated more Studilac data than anyone.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

If you have the design one of those shops who use Laser Cutting could do it.

John Clements
            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
            Lockleys South Australia
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Real Studilac's have panel with a bunch of bog power resistors on a panel to power the 6 volt stuff off 12 volts. BTW, there are companies on the net that can custom make the script.
              We had a local guy start a frame off on a real one, but I think he passed away, but someone may have the script off that one to copy. He had accumulated more Studilac data than anyone.

JDP/Maryland
              John,

Was that 'Studillac' Mel Boettcher (sp?) that you are referring to? If so, what happened to his car?

Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Bob Bee {R.I.P.} was the owner of the restored Studillac chassis that many remember seeing. JDP I believe is correct about the large bank of voltage dropping resistors that were enclosed in a metal mesh type of rectangular box. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

The emblem looks good Matt, although the U, L amd I letters
                  are a bit sharper on the top on the original Studillac emblem.

Michael Bostedt
                  Sweden

Comment

That's pretty sharp for rubber and Reynold's wrap. How much time did you spend on it? LH

"I'm allergic to small block Chevys."

edited to correct typo
                    Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Looks good Matt!

Studebaker classifieds! www.studeswap.com

Comment

Bob Bee and Mel Boettcher both had original Frick Studillacs. Both men are now dead and I have not heard of the whereabouts of either car. There is another barn find for Bob A. up his way.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I only spent a couple of hours on it.

Michael in Sweden.. Just for the sake of asking, do you have one of these emblems? I know you were a great help when I first started researching these cars.

I'd love to know where those 2 (once) known Studillacs are at now.

Today I drove to my uncle's house, and felt inside the front fenders for bondoed up emblem holes. No luck. [xx(]

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I only spent a couple of hours on it.

Michael in Sweden.. Just for the sake of asking, do you have one of these emblems? I know you were a great help when I first started researching these cars.

I'd love to know where those 2 (once) known Studillacs are at now.

Today I drove to my uncle's house, and felt inside the front fenders for bondoed up emblem holes. No luck. [xx(]

Matthew Burnette

Matthew, if it's the same car I'm thinking of, it's a Caddy powered Studebaker, but does not appear to be a Bill Finch car.
                            Hazlehurst, GA

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

JP, ours is the car that Pat Skelly owned. After doing tons of research, we have more reason to believe it is a Frick car. Read all about our findings in a future Turning Wheels.

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X