electronic ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electronic ignition

I picked up a distributor that had the guts for electronic ignition. There was a bunch of wires and boxes and stuff hooked up and stuff not hooked up. I'm just wondering what do I have to do to make it work right? Is there a certain way things need to be wired?(I'm sure there is) Don't ask what it came out of either because I don't know anything about. Its just a Stude distributor with elec. guts. Thanks.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Take out all the "Wires, Electronics and Boxes" and install a Pertronics Electronic Ignition Module where the points and condensor go, and you are DONE! [^]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jake, does it have an orange box with it with a multi-pin connector on top? IF so that sounds like a Chrysler electronic conversion, do a search for "chrysler electronic ignition" and you will get all the diagrams you want. It's a nice conversion.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Jake, does it have an orange box with it with a multi-pin connector on top? IF so that sounds like a Chrysler electronic conversion, do a search for "chrysler electronic ignition" and you will get all the diagrams you want. It's a nice conversion.
        I agree. I have used both the Pertronix and the Chrysler conversion and I like the Chrysler system quite a bit better (even with all the external stuff). I have seen a fair number of reports of Pertronix failures- tough to fix on the road (carry a spare conventional distributor). A Chrysler unit can be fixed just about anywhere.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
        Museum R-4 engine
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Jake, you might post a photo of it which should help others identify the internals.

Comment

Is it a Studebaker distributor?

Chevy Baker transistorized ignition?

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here is the pic of internals.(sorry about the poor quality)

Here is the box with wires going to a ballist resister.

I can't seem to get them to post any bigger than that.
              Here is a link that you can go to: http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ions/FullAlbum

Comment

I have a brand new set of points and condenser(still in the box) that I carry in the car. If the Pertronix should fail I would just put them in. I understand that Pertronix had some early Module failures, and that problem has been taken care of is now ancient history!!! Back in the middle seventies G.M. had their share of problems with H.E.I. ignitions but went on to be a rock solid igntion system.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Yep, that's a Chrysler ignition. Unless someone gets the info to you sooner, I'll get my Dodge shop manual tonight and look up the wiring diagram.

Comment

Yep, that is the Chrysler unit, and is a good unit. Here is link to a schematic,
                    sigpic
                    Ross.
                    Riverside, Ca.
                    1957 Provincial X2
                    1958 Transtar

Comment

I use the single ballast on mine. If you want a diagram send me an E- Mail.

Comment

Thanks a million fellas! The diagram looks great. Thanks again.

Jake

Comment

This is on the electronic ignition topic. On my 289 build I'll be using a 53 Delco distributor. It was a 6-volt pos. ground now its a 12-volt neg. ground with points. Does pertronix make a kit to fit this type distributor? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dclewallen

This is on the electronic ignition topic. On my 289 build I'll be using a 53 Delco distributor. It was a 6-volt pos. ground now its a 12-volt neg. ground with points. Does pertronix make a kit to fit this type distributor? Thanks,

Ask them, here is their weblink.
                            The experts at PerTronix are ready to help you choose the perfect high performance ignition and exhaust products. We're enthusiasts too!

John Clements
                            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                            Lockleys South Australia
                            John Clements
                            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Darryl - Call Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker with your distributer info and he should be able to set you up with a Pertronix breakerless ignition

Studebaker Fever
                              60 Lark
                              51 Champion
                              Phil
                              Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                              60 Lark
                              56 Power Hawk
                              Phil Hendrickson
                              Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Working...