1963 AVANTI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 AVANTI

WHAT DISTANCE FROM THE WINDSHIELD DO I MOUNT THE STRATOVUE MIRRORS ON THE FENDER?

jerry defilippi
    jerry defilippi

Jerry,

If you are not aware, there were two mounting options for the Avanti mirrors. One was fender mounted mirrors, and the other was door mounted mirrors. Mounted on the fenders, the mirrors are just about useless. Mounted on the doors, they are slightly more functional.

In either case, be sure to mount your mirrors using rubber "Well Nuts". If you don't have them, send me an email. I've got some extras.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '78 Avanti II
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Comment

Jim I am getting ready to install a mirror on
      my 58 Hawk, using stainless screws. These "well nut" things,
      are they something I should be using as well?

thanks,

Joe D.

Comment

I believe that the fender mounted ones are most common. Besides not being able to easily adjust them, and being of little use as intended, they are great for scanning the friendly skies to be on the lookout for CHP aircraft

Aside from that, they are pretty much useless.

That being said, if no one has answered you by this evening, I will measure mine and post the distance.

========================
        63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
        Martinez, CA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by valleyguy

Jim I am getting ready to install a mirror on
          my 58 Hawk, using stainless screws. These "well nut" things,
          are they something I should be using as well?

thanks,

Joe D.

No, just on the fiberglass cars.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

A bit of advise that may...or may not...be obvious (it wasn't to me when I did a test fit[:I])

If you go with the door mounted mirrors, before you drill any holes, be sure you can still open the side vent windows...

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

First, There is a SDC collection of different templets. Copies vailable for use just for the asking.Check TW's. Second, My Avanti came with dual fender mounted mirrors.There great, look through the windshield and there it is, every thing thats behind you. The mirror was designed to be installed on the fender, it flows with the Avanti design.

Richard

Comment

My Avanti has the dual fender mount mirrors. There is no problem for me with usefulness, they can show what I need to see. BUT they do not keep their adjustment, I so wish they had lock down set screws. I'm thinking about drilling a very small hole right though the adjustment ball and dibbling in some super glue.

Thomas

Comment

THANK YOU TO ALL

jerry defilippi
                  jerry defilippi

Comment

the mirrors were dealer-installed, hence the variation in mounting locations. I've got mine on the fenders as well, they look great and work reasonably well if adjusted.

1951 Rod
                    1962 Champ
                    1963 Avanti R1
                    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                    1964 Daytona Convertible
                    2006 Avanti Convertible
                    1951 Custom
                    1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                    1962 Champ
                    1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                    1963 Avanti R1
                    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                    2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

The re-pop SI mirror has an improved rotating socket in them. Once positioned they never move unless bumped into. Sold the original pair with their "floppy" heads. The SDC templet file is managed by Dave M......(sombody). Check TW's.

Richard

Comment

Measured my 1963 Avanti, Drivers side first hole is 12-7/8 from the
                        bottom edge of the stainless steel window molding. Second hole is
                        15-5/8. Passenger side first hole is 13-1/16 from SST molding edge,
                        and the second hole is 15-15/16.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                        X