The Last Dealership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Dealership

Some of you may or may not be aware that the former Mathis Motors dealership building in Atlantic County NJ is For Sale. This building still looks just about the same as it did when built in 1926/27.

In the hopes of saving it from the wrecking ball or something worse a condo developer; I am attempting to form some type of organization to acquire and restore it.

I would like to hear from you the members of SDC if I am tilting at windmils or just off my rocker!? [?] If I can succeed in forming a not for profit "Friends of" or another type of Foundation would any of you be willing to put some money into this project? [?] Feel free to contact me directly if you feel strongly about this. Thank you for your time.

Peter Crisitello

T442163
    [u]Crisitel@RCI.Rutgers.edu</u>
    T442163
    Crisitel@oit.Rutgers.edu

That is an awesome looking building. I would like to own it. Possibilities are endless. Park a couple of nice Studes in there and go from there. Is it for sale? Would someone post a picture of it here in this topic. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I'm assuming it's this one we discussed a little over a week ago:

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bob, you are correct that is the building located in Atlantic Cuty NJ
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thank you Ron Smith for giving me a Style to call this type of Building. Having only been to CA a few times in my life, I was not aware of the Mission Revival style.

To answer some of your questions, The original showroom was opened to the roof like a church with a balcony to the back. To the far right side of that balcony was/is the managers office. The current owner added a full second floor over the showroom using reclaimed wood from the Atlantic City Board Walk. It is strong enough to drive a car on if I could get it up that high!?

The Showroom portion of the building is 42' wide by 60' long. The Service area is just about the same, making the building 120' long by 42' wide. The current owner replaced the Service area roof about 15 years ago. The peaked wood roof supports and bracing is all metal on top of brick piers. Most of the windows in the service area have been replaced with modern insulated glass double hungs. While the big picture windows are still glass the upper half circles are plastic.

If any of you dug out that article from the August 2006 Turning Wheels Almanac column, you will know that this is the former Mathis Motors dealership in Egg Harbor Township. The Terra Cotta emblems came from the South Amboy Terra Cotta Works and are all in excellent shape. The points on each of the towers are also terra cotta. The green trim along the roof edge is all copper.

I believe this 82 year old building deserves a chance to make it beyond 100. I would like to give it that chance. If there is someone else out there who has a better chance please step up to the bat.

I have many pictures of this building I took just the other day but have no idea on how to post them in this forum?

Thank you all for your comments.

Peter Crisitello

T442163
          [u]Crisitel@RCI.Rutgers.edu</u>
          T442163
          Crisitel@oit.Rutgers.edu

Comment

Clean it up, restore it and make it SASCO East. Interiors and small parts, of course. [8D] Ours isn't nearly as beautiful. Hurry, before some HVAC company gets it.

[img][/img]

Comment

This is the kind of building that should be on a historic register. I suggest you contact the local or state historic preservation committee about this pronto:

also http://www.senatenj.com/index.php/ba...committee/2094
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Would be nice to have a Studebaker Museum or parts depot, like Sasco, here in the east. Forget asking the state for help. Corzine has us in hock up to our wazoo in NJ.

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

It never hurts to ask the state. You may think there's nothing there, but it's perfectly possible (probable) that money has to be allocated to preservation programs because of older, set laws or provisions in the state budget. If you don't ask, you know you won't get anything. Also ask area architects about preservation programs or groups.
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Peter contact Ed Puritan in Egg Harbor as he may be able to assist you. He is in AOAI Roster or if you need his address and phone # contact me and I'll give it to you.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

IIRC the building is 9000 sq ft,pretty decent size. They have it listed at 750K but the assessment is like 280K,while it used to be assessments were not market in many area they have been mandated to be such by law so it may be close to the mark.

Comment

Just throwing out another funding source.

You'd be surprised looking over the list of projects qualifying for Transportation Enhancement funds. FHWA especially likes dual use proposals. Historic preservation with bike trails, etc.

Cabrina Dieters
                        TDOT

Comment

For example if you hit NJ and category 6 then search you can bring up a list of projects and dollar amounts.

Cool site. Glad to see that search includes Roebling's machine shop.

Cabrina

Comment

OK, I'm curious - it was built 1926/27 for a Studebaker dealer. How long was it in use a dealership? Russ Farris
                            1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                            1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

I faintly remember a dealer in Lambertville? (near Toms River?) N.J. that refused to give up his franchise. It was there I remember driving by it around '68 I think that he still had new cars in the showroom. There was an article about him in the Newark Star Ledger if my memory serves me right. Perhaps Peter C. in Rahway remembers or some others in that area "down the shore".

60 Lark convertible
                              61 Champ
                              62 Daytona convertible
                              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2)
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X