Horn relay help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn relay help

I am having a devil of a time hooking up and getting a pair of Stebel magnum horns to work with the horn button using their 4 prong relay. I have checked continuity on all wires, checked and double checked ground, etc.-- I have the wires hooked up exactly like the diagram shows, with
    horn wires to # 87
    Horn button to # 86
    20 amp fuse to battery power to # 30
    Ground to # 85
    When I go into the car and short the steering column wire to the column, I get nothing.
    I then checked the new relay along with two more I have to make sure they check out with both an ohm meter, volt meter and also test light --- all checks good.
    I then took the same wires and hooked them up to a stock type relay (3 wire and metal housing) hooking the ground to the housing, go inside and ground horn wire and horns work fine. It seems I am missing something involving the 4 prong relay hook up.
    I am at wits end and can't figure why I can get the old metal type to work but not the new plastic 4 prong type to work.
    Any suggestions???
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Hook battery power to 86 and 30, 87 to horns and 85 to horn button.

Comment

leyrret's connections should work. With the setup you listed, both ends of the relay coil get grounded when you push the horn button. Thus, relay doesn't click.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Ok, I hooked the wires up in that way and when the horn wire is grounded the relay does click but still no horn.
        64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

The relay will work wired as in the diagram. Make sure battery is connected to 30 & 86. Check for voltage at 87 when relay is closed. 85 & 86 are control circuit. The above diagram is a what I call a switching relay(5 terminals) 87a is normally closed(30and 87 connected) until relay is energized and then it switches to 87. I have a half dozen of these on my car wired as above and they all work.

Comment

Guys,
            I went back out and took another relay-- hooked it up as above and BINGO +^%* I now have proper horns !!!!!
            Thanks !!

I e-mailed Stebel and asked them to add this method to their tech sheet, as it would have saved me a lot of time if I had it to begin with. Hope it helps others.
            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Oh, I forgot to ask, should both "hots" be fused ?
              64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

It would be a good ideal to have them both fused.

Comment

Working...
                X