Heavy duty Studebaker truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy duty Studebaker truck?

Hi all. I'm new here. First post. I just retired from working 31 years at a sewage treatment facility. I have decide to fullfill my lifelong dream and search for and purchase a heavy duty dual wheel Studebaker truck.I really like their looks and style. I ran across a Studebaker truck site on the internet and it seems that a lot of the big ones from like the early 50 tees into the 60 tees look a lot alike. Are they basically the same trucks with small changes? I'm probably looking for one able to haul a tankfull of semi solid material. I allready have a 2500 gallon baffled tank and am mechanically inclined so I can probably mount this on a chassis. What type of Studebaker should I be looking for and I don't mind spending a bit fixing one up a little. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions if I go through with this so please bear with me. When My brother and I were young boys dad owned a Studebaker with some sort of hub cap looking thing on the front of the car. Thanks if you can help or not. Dan C

Hi Dan - Welcome to the Forum!

Studebaker introduced the "C-Cab" truck in 1949 and it remained pretty much the same with some cosmetic changes until the 1964 model year, the last year Studebaker trucks were produced. Of course the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks (Champs) from 1960 to 1964 were different, but you are asking about 1 ton and over trucks, so my comments are correct. Options such as Air brakes, power steering, etc. also became more common (or available) in the later models. Trucks up to a 2 Ton HD model (24,000 GVW) were made. V8's were not introduced into the truck line until 1955, so later models will provide you a few more choices on transmissions and power (if you are looking for a stock setup). Here's a pic of a 1 1/2 ton tanker that was recently bought by a member in Washington - it's a '63.

Check Turning Wheels (The SDC monthly magazine), eBay and the Stude Truck forum to find Stude's for sale. Of course, you should join the SDC if you are not already a member - the best and easiest way to get the most out of your Studebaker addiction!

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

You are probably looking for something like this:
      It is a fuel Tanker, but not for sale, so I would count on building one from a Cab & Chassis or Flatbed as they are VERY hard to find.

This one is one of the last, it's a '63 Transtar, most are 289 V-8 Studebaker powered, and you are right the "C" Cab was used from 1949 to 1964 and is one rugged Truck! The grille is the biggest change but many ongoing detail and mechanical changes were made during all those years. [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

You are probably looking for something like this:

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

Great minds think alike eh Rich...

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
        http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

Hey Dan I am the care taker of the Studebaker Truck Farmers. It's a small club of about 335 global members who's objective is to promote the Studebaker Truck brand, educate others, and enjoy our trucks. It's free all you need is to email me your name and contact info if you want but not required.

Oh yeh you can still join even if you havn't got your truck yet.

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Welcome aboard. Since a 2500 gallon tank filled probably is close to 15,000#, you are looking for a truck with a GVW around 22,000# and not many Studes are in that range. Can you provide more details as to the wheelbase needed to fit your tank, the intended use, miles and so on?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

Welcome to the Studebaker Drivers Club. I hope you find as many wonderful people as I have in the short period of time I have belonged.

Congratulations on your recent retirement. I too recently retired and the activities I have involved myself in with Studebakers has keeped me more than busy.

It's obvious that you must have taken a lot of "crap" about your chosen career field. From your screen name it's evident that you have a great sense of humor about it. Look forward to meeting you one day.

Jon Stalnaker
              Editor, Hawk Talks
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

By the way.....please tell me the 2500 gallons of semi-solid material has nothing to do with your previous profession.

Jon Stalnaker
                Editor, Hawk Talks
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

You could call it, Ol' Number Two".

Comment

Welcome Dan:

If you are anywhere close to Virginia, there are a few larger truck available .

Take care

george o

Comment

Thank you all for your concern and offers of helping in one way or another, The picture of that truck looks good. Plans on having a Stude truck with a tank have been cancelled. I'm not offended in any way if people think my forum name is funny. When I took the foremans position at the sewage plant the guys referred to me as sh_t head, sh_t for brains and a whole lot worse and I wasn't at all bothered by The Poopmaster so I sort of unofficialy kept it. I used to use it for my CB handle. My brother in law has a septic tank install and maintenance company. Not real big. Just 1 to 2 employees sometimes. He just bought a Ford tanker with a suck vack for you know what. Were considering on becoming partners and expanding his-our business with porta-pottie rentals. The market in the area looks good and the closest supplier is 130 miles away. We plan on starting off with 10 or 12 units. I will be looking for a flat bed or stake bed. We plan on naming the new company and Stude truck Big John. Thanks you all seem like nice guys. Dan C.

Comment

Working...
                      X