Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Hippie

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Wow. A first series Regal two-tone; rare combo! I've always liked '55s, especially Regals. Good to see this one getting the attention it deserves. Congrats. BP
    How rare? Mine is a first series Regal that was originally two tone and will be again someday. It looks like at one time mine was Chasta White over Cascade Green although the roof may have originally been a darker green but so far I have only found evidence of white on the roof. The lower body was definitely Cascade (Seafoam) Green.
    Well, you had 4,639 Commander Regal coupes built for the entire 1955 model year, versus 6,975 Commander DeLuxe Coupes.

First-series 1955 production was less than the longer run of the second series, so let's say 2,000 of the 4,639 were first-series 1955 Commander Regal coupes. If only half of them were two-tone (likely no more than that), then you'd have maybe 1,000 first series, two-tone, 1955 Commander Regal Coupes shipped.

I'd say any surviving Commander that was produced in late 1954 (as a 1955 model) is rare, if it survived a full 55 years since production, from a pool of no more than 1,000 cars to begin with. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What's the difference in early vs late in looks on a C-K other than the serial# and being a 224ci. and what about Speedsters were they all late 55s with the 259.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by clonelark

What's the difference in early vs late in looks on a C-K other than the serial# and being a 224ci. and what about Speedsters were they all late 55s with the 259.
        Bob:

1. All Speedsters were 259s, as were all 1959 Presidents, regardless of build date. Some Speedsters were built in calendar year 1954, contrary to conventional wisdom.

2. The biggest difference between first and second-series C/K 1955s was the two-tone treatment on two-tone Regal models. First-series, two-tone Regals had only the roof and a band below the backlite the second color, as is the car that began this thread.

Second-series cars had the diagonal stainless-steel strip at top front of the rear fenders separating the two colors. The roof, deck lid and tops of the rear fenders above the butter-knives, were the second color.

3. Second-series DeLuxe models (no butterknife side trim) continued the first-series two-tone treatment, if two-toned. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob:
          Thank you very much for the information. I cant tell you what it means to know a little about her. Especially nice to know she is a rare example. Originally pink (with the white top I suppose), and painted over this brown/copper color. I hope nobody will think I have flipped if I choose a more appealing factory color (perhaps black/white, or red/white).

What sets the Regal apart, or what else should I know about it? Is it the highest trim level for the 55 Commander? Please excuse the Newbie questions[:I], I am admitedly not as imformed as I should be, or as I am about my old "Brand X" Loves of the past [I could tell you a thing or 2 about Australian Falcons).

Dylan, Rog, John:
          I sure am loving being a Stude Owner, thank you for the kind words. Cant wait for the time when I get to take her for a spin.

55 Commander
          XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
          KARR (Knightrider)
          Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

"Hero Car Ranch"; Seattle, Wa.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
          XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
          KARR (Knightrider)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

quote:
            Well, you had 4,639 Commander Regal coupes built for the entire 1955 model year, versus 6,975 Commander DeLuxe Coupes.

First-series 1955 production was less than the longer run of the second series, so let's say 2,000 of the 4,639 were first-series 1955 Commander Regal coupes. If only half of them were two-tone (likely no more than that), then you'd have maybe 1,000 first series, two-tone, 1955 Commander Regal Coupes shipped.

I'd say any surviving Commander that was produced in late 1954 (as a 1955 model) is rare, if it survived a full 55 years since production, from a pool of no more than 1,000 cars to begin with. BP
            Wow, that makes mine the 2nd lowest production car I have ever owned. Rarity aside my Commander is my favorite of all the cars I have ever owned and I would not trade it for anything else. Barring some crisis I will keep it until I can't keep it anymore.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

It is probably the rarest production car for me as well. My XA Bat is the first, and so far only, Replica of the XA Bat in the world, but its "Under the skin" production car was more common by a bit than my 55, if it is 1 of 1000 combo.

55 Commander
              XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
              KARR (Knightrider)

55 Commander Regal Coupe
              XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
              KARR (Knightrider)

Comment

Dee: Yes, the Regal was the higher of the two Commander Coupe trim levels. There was a cheaper Commander Custom trim offered, but only in sedans, not coupes or hardtops.

The interior is fancier on a Regal, too, although it's hard to describe trims. Does your car have coarse carpeting in the rear and a rubber floor mat up front, or visa-versa? Regals had either one treatment or the other.

But the biggest difference all year long between Regals and DeLuxes was the large, signature "butterknife" side trim on Regals. That's the major difference, out there where everyone could see it!

The first-series 1955 brochure, dated 9/54, shows a two-tone 1955 Commander Regal coupe, red over gray. BP

Comment

Bob:
                  I thought that might be the case.
                  I sure do Like that "Butterknife" trim, it sort of makes the lines flow with more..... Style?....It breaks up the side panel in an intresting way.

Im not seeing any evidence of mats now.... Probably inhabited by Rats and pitched (if the nasty mess in the trunk is any clue). Will my VIN/build sheet tell me how that was done at the factory, or do I get to guess and decide by my prefrence[8D]?

The brochure had a 2 tone Regal with a Red top and Grey Body? That sounds really cool! Or was it vis a vis? I would like to see that photo someday.

I dont think I will get docked points (when the time comes) if I choose a neat combo like that....as long as I stick with factory color combos right?

55 Commander
                  XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                  KARR (Knightrider)

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                  XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                  KARR (Knightrider)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Desert Explorer

Bob:
                    I thought that might be the case.
                    I sure do Like that "Butterknife" trim, it sort of makes the lines flow with more..... Style?....It breaks up the side panel in an interesting way.

Im not seeing any evidence of mats now.... Probably inhabited by Rats and pitched (if the nasty mess in the trunk is any clue). Will my VIN/build sheet tell me how that was done at the factory, or do I get to guess and decide by my prefrence[8D]?

The brochure had a 2 tone Regal with a Red top and Grey Body? That sounds really cool! Or was it vis a vis? I would like to see that photo someday.

I dont think I will get docked points (when the time comes) if I choose a neat combo like that....as long as I stick with factory color combos right?
                    Dee: I don't see a street address listed for you (or even your name) in the 2008 SDC Roster. If you'll send me a PM with your address, I'll send you a color copy of the brochure photo.

The top of the car is red; the bottom grey. As far as SDC judging goes, any combination available on a car in a given year is OK.

Most Studebaker paint code stickers have long since fallen off the underside of glove boxes by now, so there's no way to tell a car's color combo without the build order.

As I said, even if the build order shows a different color than what is now on the car, it's still OK as long as "what's on the car" was available that year. BP

Comment

I'm right in the middle of a total body off resto on a 55 Commander regal K-code. No colour issues on this one. She was factory velvet black and will stay that way. Good luck on yours. Seems like you have plenty to start with. If I can help at all, just ask. As George Jones might say: "She looks hotter than a two dollar pistol!".
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Bob:
                        PM Sent THANK YOU!!!! I think I missed getting in by the 08 Roster, look for me in the 09 when it comes out. I will be glad to see the photo, it may end up being my inspiration.... Do they show the interior?

Warrlaw1:
                        Thank you. I have been riding the wave of being pleased at how complete she is, and the beauty intrinsic in her design, and not so pleased at what time and disuse has done to her before she came here. I got a nasty surprise when I opened the glovebox[xx(]
                        I will galdly ask for help when the time comes.

55 Commander
                        XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                        KARR (Knightrider)

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                        XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                        KARR (Knightrider)

Comment

Good luck with your project, it will be nice when complete. I am going to part out a 55 regal hard top. Dan[8D]

Comment

Dan,
                            Thank you!
                            Please send me a PM with your contact info...... I already know that I am going to need lots of little bits...... The car is pretty complete, but time has not been kind to it and lots of stuff will need replaced I am sure. If your parting out a 55 HT it could have some bits I need.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                            XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                            KARR (Knightrider)

Mad Max Car's "Hero Car Ranch"; Seattle, Wa.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                            XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                            KARR (Knightrider)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Desert Explorer
                              Originally pink (with the white top I suppose), and painted over this brown/copper color. I hope nobody will think I have flipped if I choose a more appealing factory color (perhaps black/white, or red/white).
                              If you choose Coraltone/Velvet Black, you won't be alone:

Craig

Comment

Wow Craig,
                                That 55 looks nice, even the worn paint on the 55 Dick got from SF looks nice being buffed up with "Stude Sparkle" (Patent not pending)

However, I just can't do it. Just like many of the folks who responded to the thread you linked. The hidden "Pink" on my 55 looks more like a "Salmon" color than the "CoralTone" (looking in the trunk and under the hood..... Still I just cant, even my WIFE said "YUCK.. Your not planning on painting it back THAT color are you?", "No..." says I, "...Ill pick a factory color but not THAT one". Is that Salmon color just my eyesight, or a factory offering?

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                                XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                                KARR (Knightrider)

Mad Max Car's "Hero Car Ranch"; Seattle, Wa.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                                XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                                KARR (Knightrider)

Comment

Working...
                                X