When did 6 Cyl. Flathead end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did 6 Cyl. Flathead end?

I was at a cruise in tonight in SW Ohio and saw a 60 Lark 4 dr with 73,000 Original miles . Straight 6 with auto trans. It surprised me that the 6 is a flathead motor. When did Studebaker do away with flatheads? I am not knocking flatheads, but thought most manufactors had quit using flathead motors in the mid 50's. Just need educated some more on Studebaker. Thanks!!! Randy( saw 3 Studebakers at cruise in)

Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

The flathead Lark (nee Champion) six was last used in '60 models. For 1961, they came out with an OHV conversion for the same basic block.

IIRC the flathead Commander six of 245 cu. in. was available in trucks up to that time, too, but no OHV conversion ever emerged.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I figure 1960 was the last year, for a flattie 6 Stude-O-baker, 'cordin to my Glenn's Auto Repair Manual. Maybe the experts will prove me wrong. I know this: the 1959 model year was the last for the Plymouth 6 flathead. Them engines were no screamer, but pretty smooth and reliable, plus simple to fix. Hope that helps you some.

Comment

Thanks for replys , that was a surprise as well as stopping in Milford at cruise in site to see if anything had started yet this year and finding well over 300 cars and trucks in attendance! Randy

Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Officially, 1960 was the last year. Unofficially, flathead Champion sixes were available until 1963. Years ago there were 2 63 Wagonaires in our chapter with flatheads in them.

Terry

Comment

64 Ramblers were the last to offer flathead engines.

Terry

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dictator27

Officially, 1960 was the last year. Unofficially, flathead Champion sixes were available until 1963. Years ago there were 2 63 Wagonaires in our chapter with flatheads in them.

Terry
              A Champion flathead will bolt in where an overhead was. I'm wondering if sometime in the past, the original overhead broke and was replaced with an available flathead.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Both of the wagons had been fleet vehicles when new. They were delivered from Hamilton with flatheads in them. The story was they were using up left over engines.

Terry

Comment

Hi

According to the "Standard Catalog of Independents" the base engine for the American 220/330 was the 195 cid flathead six.

Hard to believe a flathead was still available that late, must have still found some market.

Steve

Comment

I believe it about Rammler. When I was a much younger boy, my ol' mom test-drove a used 62 Rammler American coupe sitting at a car lot, and I'm pretty darn sure that it had a flathead in it. I actually pleaded for them to buy it, but they picked up a 1960 Falcon wagon(144c.i. ohv 6, two-speed trans), instead.

Comment

Actually, 1965 was the last year for Rambler's flathead 196cu.in. engine.

Rambler's venerable 196cu.in. engine (like Stude's Champion 6) dated back to the 30s. It served with only minor changes until the mid-fifties, when it was modified to sport an overhead valve arrangement - much like Studebaker would eventually do for 1961. The Rambler mod worked better than the Stude mod did. More meat in the head, I would presume.
                      While Rambler's flattie disappeared for a short time in the 50s, it reappeared for 1958 as an "Economy engine" in the American series cars.
                      Even tho an all new 6 debuted in 1964 (232cu.in.), the 196 OHV and L-head engines served time in the Americans thru 1965! For '66, the Americans got a down-sized version of the new OHV 6 (199cu.in.) that had debuted in the Classics and Ambassadors for 1964.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'd like to see the factory production order on those '63 wagons,
                        especially where it said substitute Flathead engines for the OHV type.[8D]

3E38
                        4E2
                        4E28
                        5E13
                        7E7
                        8E7
                        8E12
                        8E28

59 Lark
                        etc

Comment

Working...