Seat Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Belts

I was wondering if anyone had any idea of where to connect the mounting bolts for seat belts. I have a set of belts out of a 63-64 GT and my girls want to ride in dad's special car. I was thinking of bolting through the floor boards, right next to the seat and the other side along the dip in the rear floor pans. I'm putting them in a 60 hawk. I have looked through the service manual and there is nothing in there. [V]
    Any thoughts? [?]

Rodney
    60 Black Hawk
    On the road Again

If your car didn't have seat belt mounting points, you need big reinforcing plates under the floor where you bolt the belts in. Juliano's sells kits for putting both lap belts and 3-point belts into old cars. I think 3-point belts are worth the extra work, given the number of crazies on the roads these days.

See http://www.julianos.com/ and click on the link to the step-by-step how-to guides for a number of very good examples of how you can put the belts in.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Gary, thanks for the information, it did have seat belts 20 years ago when I tore it apart. Now old age has removed my knowledge as to where they went.

Rodney
      60 Black Hawk
      On the road Again

Comment

There should be a Studebaker installation instruction sheet that shows the measurement points for locating and drilling holes, front and rear, available from:
        Dave Mottle, 532 East Ella, Corrales, NM 87048

[img] http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/63.63.jpg [/img]
        Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I know there are existing holes, in the floor, Somewhere.
          Dwain thanks for info I will use that.

Rodney
          60 Black Hawk
          On the road Again

Comment

is it possible to install a lap belt in the rear seat of a wagonaire? seems silly to have all that room and no place to put a car seat for a child

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

As Gary noted Juliano's kit is very good, easy install in the Wagonaire. I used retractables front and rear, There's a stamped recess in the door pillar to accept the anchor plate, you just have to fish it up through the inside.

Bill Foy
              Kingston, Ontario
              1964 Wagonaire Slider
              Bill Foy
              1000 Islands, Ontario
              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

is it possible to install a lap belt in the rear seat of a wagonaire? seems silly to have all that room and no place to put a car seat for a child
                I put lap belts in my Wagonaire years ago. There are tapped holes in plates right behind the lower cushion for the mounting bolts. If yours never had belts, there are probably rubber plugs in the holes.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                Museum R-4 engine
                1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

I put lap belts in my Wagonaire years ago. There are tapped holes in plates right behind the lower cushion for the mounting bolts. If yours never had belts, there are probably rubber plugs in the holes.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                  1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                  AHH I found the rubber plugs that you mentioned, thank you

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                  X