Thread: 50 years of Lark celebrations Down Under (Photos)

Speedster Member

50 years of Lark celebrations Down Under (Photos)

Hi everyone,yesterday in Victoria Australia we had the All American Motor Show. There was well over 1000 American cars on display and this year they had Studebaker as the featured marque, to celebrate 50 years of the Lark. There was 7 Larks and a total of 32 Studebakers in attendance.

The Larks On Show

Other Studes On Show

Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    http://www.studebakercarclub.net
    Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

President Member
    Thanks for sharing, some really nice cars.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod

Speedster Member John and Tracy Smith's Avatar
    Great pictures! It looks like you had a wonderful turnout. Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona
    http://1955studebaker.blogspot.com/
    [IMG]

President Member
    Nice pics!! Thanks.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

President Member
    Great pictures.
    Thank you for posting.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

President Member
    Good on you! Great pics

57 & 58 Packards
    62 Daytona
    63 R2 Lark

President Member
    love the paint on the green & white 61' Also some pretty cool wheels on some of those rides.

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

Silver Hawk Member
    Picture number 9 the 58 Golden Hawk I believe belongs to my friend Ian Mackellar, a few of you people have met him on our different trips across the USA Lancaster, Reedsville, South Bend, Omaha, Spokane, Sacramento, Minnesota, South Bend twice all national meets he does get around and he will be here on the 7th of July to head off to Iowa....Bob Peterson

Speedster Member
    John the green and white 61 belongs to me, the paint scheme was an option here done by one of the dealers, I believe there wasnt to many of them done like that, as I have never seen another one like it in the 11 years I have owned the car.

Candbstudebaker you are coreect the Golden Hawk does belong to Ian, the car looks even better in person than it does in the photos.

Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

Thanks much for the photos. The Autumn Haze '61 Cruiser- same color and model (other than RHD) as my first Studebaker and first new car.
    I notice the Champ is left-hand control. Did they not import Champs in RHD like the Larks? Many years ago when I visited the Schwerkolts (sp), Charles took me for a ride in the '63 Avanti that he had converted to RHD. He told me that you couldn't drive LHD cars in Australia. Have they changed the rules?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Speedster Member
    quote:Originally posted by 53k

Thanks much for the photos. The Autumn Haze '61 Cruiser- same color and model (other than RHD) as my first Studebaker and first new car.
    I notice the Champ is left-hand control. Did they not import Champs in RHD like the Larks? Many years ago when I visited the Schwerkolts (sp), Charles took me for a ride in the '63 Avanti that he had converted to RHD. He told me that you couldn't drive LHD cars in Australia. Have they changed the rules?
    Yes they did import Champs here, I think the owner of it imported it because he wanted the long bed model which he could not get here. They changed the laws about driving left hand drive vehicals many years ago. Only rule now is it has to be over 25 years old to register it. My 1963 Avanti is still left hand drive and I didnt have any problems registering it, I am also restoring a 55 coupe which I plan to leave left hand drive.

Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

President Member
    Wow, superb gathering...thanks for those!

S.

President Member
    Boy, M R sum purty cars! Tanks fer postin'!(sorry for the redneck response, I don't know why I did that...)

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Looks like a nice turnout of noce cars!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

President Member
    Crikey, mate! Them's some nice cars, but yout have got some o' the negatives reversed. Some o' the steerin' wheels is on the wrong side!

President Member
    [quote]Originally posted by 53k

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model

Paul, Champ pickups were actually assembled here in Melbourne from CKD kits although we only did between 200 to 300 units. Did'nt realize you had visited Melbourne in the past when you saw the Schwerkolts. You & I corresponded back in 1993 when you owned that Bermuda Brown '64 GT Hawk in RHC. I did see that Hawk in the States after you sold it & believe it could be out west now from earlier postings on the Forum.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
    MELBOURNE.

President Member
    quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Picture number 9 the 58 Golden Hawk I believe belongs to my friend Ian Mackellar, a few of you people have met him on our different trips across the USA Lancaster, Reedsville, South Bend, Omaha, Spokane, Sacramento, Minnesota, South Bend twice all national meets he does get around and he will be here on the 7th of July to head off to Iowa....Bob Peterson

Bob, You spotted Ian MacKellar's beautiful '58 Golden Hawk well. Once upon a year I owned that car myself. Nicely factory optioned with power seat & power windows. Believe we sat together at the Avanti dinner at Lancaster last Sept with Ian who was hoping you would make our Ballarat National this coming Easter. It would have worth it just to see his car.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
    MELBOURNE.

[quote]quote:Originally posted by HAWK64
    Paul, Champ pickups were actually assembled here in Melbourne from CKD kits although we only did between 200 to 300 units. Did'nt realize you had visited Melbourne in the past when you saw the Schwerkolts. You & I corresponded back in 1993 when you owned that Bermuda Brown '64 GT Hawk in RHC. I did see that Hawk in the States after you sold it & believe it could be out west now from earlier postings on the Forum.
    Sure do remember our correspondence- I probably have it filed away somewhere. I had corresponded with Charles Schwerkolt before I was in Melbourrne on a business trip in '77. On a Sunday Monring, EARLY, he with his family picked me up at the Southern Cross and we spent the whole day touring the Melbourne area. At the end of the day he had a little gathering at his house- great day, great people. Then in 1980 my wife and I went to New Zealand and Australia on vacation. We looked up the Schwerkolts and they got us in a nearby motel then we went to a local Studebaker Chapter meeting and I showed slides from the Long Beach Queen Mary Meet. Again, great time and saw some unusual cars (like a '64 ambulance). I also took him a NOS '61 Lark radio.
    The man in Detroit I sold the '64 GT to wanted it for a personal museum. Before that happened he got sick and died and I lost touch with the car. I had heard that it was rusting away in a field in the Detroit area which disturbed me a lot. The paint needed some help, but the interior was absolutely mint. Even the clock still ran. I tried to locate it with no luck then a year or so ago it appeared on the Detroit Craig's List. Lexmale, a sometimes Forum guy, saw it and posted about it. I armed him with a bunch of information and he bought it. It is now in his backlog for eventiual restoration in the Louisville, Kentucky area.
    It was a very strong running car, equipped for both LP gas and petrol and it ran equally well on either. And, it was FUN to drive, especially when I was by myself sitting on the "wrong" side.

Lexmale now has two of my former cars, the GT and a '61 Lark convertible I sold on eBay some years ago. JDP bought it and found it was too much of a project for him, offered it on the Studebaker Newsgroup and Lexmale bought it.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430