Pennsylvania Transporter license plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania Transporter license plates

I have heard that the AAA offices can issue "Transporter Plates". Can anyone confirm this and describe what is needed, cost and how long they woulf be valid.
    Peter Bishop

Some States sell you a limited (about 3 days) move permit, to tape on the rear window, that may be what you heard about in Penn. I do not know. Technically it would not be valid in other States however.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In NC I had transport tags.They were dealer service tags and you had to have a dealers license to get them and a salesmans license to use them. Ours had different insurance regs but that probably was the way we set it up.Either our dealer tags or our transport tags were only good within 50 miles.They would also sell you a 10 day transport tag if an individual had just bought a vehicle no matter what state they were from/going to as a trip permit.All ours came through NCDMV,not AAA. Steve
      sigpic

Comment

NY DMV will issue a temporary transport tag; I believe it's good for 10 days. All you need to do is fax proof of insurance to the DMV near the car, and you or seller can pick it up and drive away. It's valid in any state for that 10 days, no mileage limit.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I don't recall all the details, but in 1988 I acquired my 1951 Land cruiser. It had been sitting in a barn of a deceased club member for years. It was about 80 miles from home here in SC. I "think" I got temp insurance coverage (don't remember). Put in new points, plugs, etc. Called the Highway Patrol and got permission to drive it home. I have no idea how that would work today. In our local news is a story of a Highway Patrolman getting a ticket for driving 130MPH...AND WITH A SUSPENDED LICENSE! How does this happen? Just when I think we are about to shake off some of our "Old South" stereotypes, something like this comes along.
          South Carolina does not require licenses for trailers under a certain size. Most horse trailers, farm trailers and especially utility trailers do not have to have tags. I have wondered what kind of problems, in other states, I would encounter if I used my equipment trailer to haul a car home?

John Clary
          Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
          SDC member since 1975
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary

I don't recall all the details, but in 1988 I acquired my 1951 Land cruiser. It had been sitting in a barn of a deceased club member for years. It was about 80 miles from home here in SC. I "think" I got temp insurance coverage (don't remember). Put in new points, plugs, etc. Called the Highway Patrol and got permission to drive it home. I have no idea how that would work today. In our local news is a story of a Highway Patrolman getting a ticket for driving 130MPH...AND WITH A SUSPENDED LICENSE! How does this happen? Just when I think we are about to shake off some of our "Old South" stereotypes, something like this comes along.
            South Carolina does not require licenses for trailers under a certain size. Most horse trailers, farm trailers and especially utility trailers do not have to have tags. I have wondered what kind of problems, in other states, I would encounter if I used my equipment trailer to haul a car home?

John Clary
            Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
            SDC member since 1975
            John,The laws of your home state (per your DL) take precedence.I got stopped with my boat out of state for no tag and they said if SC didnt require it I didnt need it with the SC drivers license.The cutoff is 2000 lbs empty trailer weight in SC before you have to tag it.Steve
            sigpic

Comment

A few years ago I bought a car in Pa. and got a temporary tag I think was good for ten days. The seller and I went to a notory and had the paper work notorized and you need proof of insurance. I think that was it.

Tennessee Hillbilly

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

NY DMV will issue a temporary transport tag; I believe it's good for 10 days. All you need to do is fax proof of insurance to the DMV near the car, and you or seller can pick it up and drive away. It's valid in any state for that 10 days, no mileage limit.

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews

Bob A. - I am sure that you know, but I thought that I would add to your statement. A New York temporary transport is only for out of New York State residents to transport a vehicle back to their home state. In other words, it can only be issued to a resident of a state other than New York. I have issued many of these from the DMV when I was working at dealerships. I believe that most states have similar set ups. Dealer, Transporter and Repairer plates are something different.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Bob A. - I am sure that you know, but I thought that I would add to your statement. A New York temporary transport is only for out of New York State residents to transport a vehicle back to their home state. In other words, it can only be issued to a resident of a state other than New York.
                  Correct of course, Gary. I was just thinking from the perspective of an out-of-stater. Should have thought to mention that.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I just went through this ten days ago when I bought my awesome little '63 Champ in PA and drove it back to IN. It was a headache to get it all figured out, as it's impossible to get a real person on the PennDOT telephone line and their website doesn't make things real clear if you don't understand their peculiar terminology.

But, it's relatively simple and painless... Title transfer, valid DL, and proof of insurance will get you a PA cardboard "in transit" plate that is valid for 30 days. The tag is $10. The title transfer and such will run the total up a bit more. Unlike a lot of states, they have authorized third-party notaries in almost every little town, and it makes sense that AAA would offer these services. It makes it nice because you don't have to go to a major BMV office and wait for hours on end.

~~Danvers
                    LaFayette, IN
                    '63 Champ (Short, Wide, White & Old)

Comment

After talking with the AAA office close to the town where the car is for sale, I found out the following...The seller must provide the title to the car, their valid PA license and the mileage on the car. The buyer must provide their valid driver's license and proof of insurance. The transaction will cost $25.00 plus $5.00 for each Notory Public signing. The temporary transporter license is good for 30 days.
                      Peter Bishop

Comment

I drove a 1954 Kaiser from Spokane,WA to Manhattan,KS in 1986. I purchased a temporary tag( card board ). It was only good in WA state. I decided to drive all the way home on the WA tag. It seemed nuts to purchase a new temporary tag in every state, that would have been four more tags. My rationalization was,if I trailered the car, then no tag was needed for the car's ID. I was illegal in four states, but the car was registered. I wonder what a judge would say to my trip home years ago? [V][?] [?]

Comment

There could be terminology confustion here, too. Many states issue TEMPORARY plates, usually paper or cardboard, that are good for anywhere from a few days to 30 days. These are generally issued to the legal owner of the vehicle, who may not even have to be a resident of that state. Some can only be used in that state, others are intended specifically to allow a new owner to drive their vehicle back to their residence in another state. Some states call these transporter plates.

Some states also issue annual, metal TRANSPORTER plates, as described by Wolfie above. These are generally only issued to dealers and others whose business is transporting vehicles to other states. Some states call them in-transit plates.

This is an area with very little commonality among states/provinces.

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                          X