63 Avanti wiper motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti wiper motor

The wiper motor on my brothers Avanti does not return to the park position, and I am not sure about the adjustment process the manual recommends. It says to move (rotate?) the small lever on the contact plate till they park properly. Is this the riveted plate that I can't budge in either direction? If so, what do I use to try to move it? I've tried twisting it with a pliers, prying it with a small bar, and lightly tapping it with a small hammer. I don't want to wreck anything, but I need to rotate this plate to try to get it in proper position. Any help from you more experienced folks out there?

If my memory is correct,John Meyer had details about that in TWs a wile back?maybe someone knows for sure.

Joseph R. Zeiger
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

My '63 Avanti had a problem with the wiper parking. It would park sometimes, but not always. What I found was that it would not park if you shut the switch off while the wipers were in the "down" stroke. However, if you shut off the switch while the wipers were on the "up" stroke, they would park. For as infrequently as the wipers were used, that "fix" worked for me. Try it and see if it works for you.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '78 Avanti II
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. Will check past TW's and try the upstroke/downstroke idea also. Anyone else have other info?

Comment

If the wipers just stop wherever they are when you turn the switch off, you probably need to pull the plate off the front of the motor (disconnect the battery and/or wiper switch, as there's an always-hot wire in there) and clean the contacts. If they park in the *wrong* place, it probably just needs adjustment.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Nate, I have completely disassembled the motor, cleaned and checked everything. The motor does just stop wherever turn the switch off. I'll pull the plate again to double check the contacts, but then if I want to adjust the "contact mount", this is where my question lies. How do I rotate that "mount" in relation to the backing plate? I would think it should rotate on the rivet it is held to the plate with. Thanks for the help - BV

Comment

I don't have a good mental picture of an Avanti wiper motor, but I'm ASSuming that it's similar to the four-wire Prestolite motors used on other late Studes. If that is the case then you just move the little tang that sticks out with a screwdriver or other prying implement. It should in fact rotate on that rivet. If it's a Bosch motor with the nut sticking out the middle, just rotate the nut.

Might also be worth sitting down with the wiring diagram and making sure that the wire that is supposed to be hot at all times (well, it's hot when the key is not "OFF" that is - it's connected to the "ACC" terminal) is in fact hot. that will also cause a no-park condition. maybe that wire is broken, has fallen off the wiper switch, other?

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

OK sometime today I'm going to see what I can find. Thanks again to all, I'll let you know the outcome. - BV

Comment

Thanks all for the info. I got it working after a few more taps with the hammer to move the contact plate. The motor parks,but it doesn't park in the position shown in the manual. I checked the rotation and movement of the linkage and everything works fine, it just parks in a different location. Should work fine once I install the wiper arms - hopefully. Thanks again - BV

Comment

Working...
                  X