1950 or 51 Rear Fender Gravel Guards- Stainless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 or 51 Rear Fender Gravel Guards- Stainless

Ok which are these? I'm pretty sure they are '50 4-door... But I don't really know that much about the earlier cars...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Ray, Great looking gravel guards. Lousy yard stick. I have my land cruiser out in the yard. Want me to go check?

John Clary
    Greer, SC
    I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary

Ray, Great looking gravel guards. Lousy yard stick.
      Yeah... musta been the chemicals...

quote:I have my land cruiser out in the yard. Want me to go check?
      Please...

Ray

Ray

Comment

Eyeballing the tape from the point at the crease to the back is about 11-1/2". I think they are 51's. Might also fit 50 & 52's.

John Clary
        Greer, SC
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Maybe you should blow off those little specks of foam wrapping before you sell them. They look like they are pitted this way.<g>

LP
          sigpic
          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I'd like to know what the difference is between 50 and 51. [:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I could be wrong; I think 1950 had a couple of rolled beads along the bottom. The 1951 was smooth. I would bet Leonard has the accessories brochure that pertains.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

They are for a 4 door car of a 1950 and maybe 51. On two door cars the guard extentended back around the rear wheel opening

Comment

I'm reviving this topic... as I haven't gotten a definitive answer.
                  The parts book is no help- because it doesn't show any diagrams of the stainless Guards.There are several pics of the rubber ones with body-lines and different mold marks... but virtually nothing on the stainless guards. They aren't even in the 1950 Inside Facts Book.

Here is what I can deduce: 1947-1952 W-bodied Champions and Commanders use the SAME rear door. The 1947-1952 Y-bodied Land Cruisers use the same door but it is different from the W-body door. According to the parts-books The 1950 Gravel Shield fits all 4-doors AND Land cruisers.
                  SO: Can I conclude that these shields will fit ALL 4-door sedans and Land Cruises from 1947-1952???

Thanks,

Ray

Ray

Comment

Ray, The other day when you first posted this topic, I compared your pic to my 58,000 mile '51 land cruiser. They look identical and the guards on my L C are original.

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Here is my rubber guard on a '50 Champion.

There are six screw holes, which match yours. Mine are 11 1/2 inches long at the longest point, which match yours. So, yours will fit on a 4 door 50 champion.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Ray,

I've always thought that any 4-door guard would fit any 4-door Stude 47 thru 52. Same with the 2-door guards as well. There's differences in appearance, but they will fit.

Looking at the photos in Maloney's book "Studebaker Cars", the 47 thru 49 models had ribs stamped into the stainless guards 2-dr or 4-dr. 50 & 51 models sport what you have and 52s with stainless guards had the foresection that projects up the front edge of the bulge.

My feeling is that these you have would LOOK right on both 50 and 51. Of course, that flies in the face of the fact that the parts books for those years show different part numbers for 50 vs 51. There's 7 screws required per guard for 50 and 51. That would seem to indicate they're basically the same.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studeman

I'm reviving this topic... as I haven't gotten a definitive
                          SO: Can I conclude that these shields will fit ALL 4-door sedans and Land Cruises from 1947-1952???

Thanks,

Ray

No.
                          IMHO, the stainless guards used in 1949, and before, had raised horizontal decorative ribs. I have restored a few of those year cars stainless but don't remember which years. That doesn't make it a certainty that they hadn't been replaced with some from another year. I'm of the unresearched opinion that 1947-9 all had the ribs, at least for the four door sedans. 50 and 51 are smooth. They would all be FIT interchangeable but not have the correct look. For someone that just wants something more showy than old rubber ones they would be an improvement but not authentic.

The 1949 Champion guards that I have in my hand are for a two door and they have four raised horizontal rib, each rib about 1/2" wide. I would expect the ribs for the four door 1949 guards to be similar.

Fun fact: If anyone finds the 4 door 48 Champion that I drove in high school that car is supposed to have black rubber guards. I replaced them with the metal ones from a salvage yard Commander, year unknown. I believe I mounted the metal ones over the top of the rubber ones but that has been a couple of weeks ago and I may just remember the attempt and misremember success. For sure the holes were the same for both types. The stainless guards were still on it when I traded it for a 50 Champion Texas car.

LP
                          sigpic
                          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Those you have pictured is off a 1951. I have a pair in the barn but have scratches.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                            Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

Comment

These look very nice, however they are going to look like serious overkill on a '50 or '51, because the originals were simi-polished, rough polished, never fine polished like CHROME!
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X