1957 President Broadmoor
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1963 R2 Daytona
    1963 R2 GT Hawk
    1963 R1 Wagonaire
    1963 R4 Avanti
    1964 Champ
    1966 Cruiser

Very nice with the factory accessory Halibrand wheels! Is it me or is the front end higher than usual from regular R-1 & R-2 Avanti's?? What is that white knob next to the hood release for? Was it an power shift or 4 speed? Inquiring minds want to know!!

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

If it looks like the front is higher, odds are it probably is. That R3 box is much larger than the R2 bonnet, which could present a problem with hood clearance and whatever pad was underneath. Just ask about our Avanti II pad which is slightly thicker than the 1/4 incher or so what was put on there stock. It will rub the snot out of the expansion tank, chrome bonnet, and anything else that sticks up high in the engine compartment. Anyway, there was a quick and dirty solution to this problem, and I've seen this done on a couple other cars that used the box with too low a hood. They would stack extra shims under that one piece front clip, thereby raising the front clip, so the hood won't contact the box. It also required supplying bracketry to extend the bumper out and up to realign everything back into stock position, or else the grille underneath would be obscured with this bumper running in front of it[)].

The other pictures also show it to be a Powershift, and I would also would love to know about that knob(and that intake duct on the passenger side footwell).

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
      [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

thank you for the great pictures stude michael. cheers. the car looks great from every angle .

rawise
        rawise

Comment

The duct by the foot well was hand made for this car as it was a prototype. I am not sure what the white button did.

1957 Packard Clipper
          1957 President Broadmoor
          1963 Daytona Convertible
          1963 R2 Daytona
          1963 R2 GT Hawk
          1963 R1 Wagonaire
          1963 R4 Avanti
          1964 Champ
          1966 Cruiser

Comment

Beautiful photos of a beautiful car. Don't know what that white button is for.
            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

quote:Originally posted by raprice

Beautiful photos of a beautiful car. Don't know what that white button is for.
              Rog

Smithtown,NY
              By bet is a electric fuel pump switch.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

My '66 has a white knob there for 4 way flashers.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
                Jim
                Often in error, never in doubt
                http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Man, that Avanti is absolutely delicious! (somehow, 'stunning' doesn't seem like a strong enough word!)

Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                  '64 Daytona Hardtop
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Although it is somewhat "dirty" as you suggested, raising the body with shims is definitely not the quick way. The body needs to be disconnected, lifted and supported while new shims are put in, then the bumper brackets need to be welded to special extensions that you would have to fabricate as no one makes them to my knowledge. Every aftermarket R3 installation I have seen uses the quick fix mini motor mounts that are about an inch shorter. These are one of the "urban legends" surrounding factory R3 cars and are often referred to as "R3 motor mounts" when in fact, the factory R3 Avantis used the more complicated shim set up....which by the way, sacrifices a good part of the Avantis aggressive rake but also looks more like a drag car launching off the line. I have both and see each one for its advantages in the styling department.

Comment

Where were the SE emblems located? I don't see them one rear quarter panel or hood. Are they on the interior?

Richard

Comment

When the car was brought back it's correct color, they were not put back on the car. They were in a display frame with the registration etc.

1957 Packard Clipper
                        1957 President Broadmoor
                        1963 Daytona Convertible
                        1963 R2 Daytona
                        1963 R2 GT Hawk
                        1963 R1 Wagonaire
                        1963 R4 Avanti
                        1964 Champ
                        1966 Cruiser

Comment

From the ol' stories and the style of the emblem, I presume they go on the sail panel where the other stock emblem normally resides.
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

So what is the story on this R3? It is not one of the original nine R3 Avantis is it? Produced in South Bend alongside the other R3s but not titled till much later? I have questions!

Comment

The car was built in April of 1963 from a regular production car pulled from the line. Egbert took the car with him when he left South Bend. When built it was fitted with an R3 that Granatelli built for the car. Here is some info from the auction that the seller wrote about it:

Page Not Found. Here are some quick links to the top Mecum Auctions pages to get you back on track quickly.

1957 Packard Clipper
                              1957 President Broadmoor
                              1963 Daytona Convertible
                              1963 R2 Daytona
                              1963 R2 GT Hawk
                              1963 R1 Wagonaire
                              1963 R4 Avanti
                              1964 Champ
                              1966 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X