Tailgate window wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate window wiring question

I'd like to install an electric rear (tailgate) window winder mechanism on my 64 Daytona sliding roof wagon. I think I've rounded up all the parts I need, but I'm at a loss as to how to connect 'em. There's 4 wires, fairly heavy gage, like 10 or 12 gage that run from the tailgate back into the car. The shop manual says words to the effect "connect to the main wiring harness." But I find no harness connectors back there to accept these 4 heavy wires, nor do I find anything in the wiring diagram that shows where these might go. There's a yellow, black, red, and green wire. I'd guess one goes to ground, maybe one or two to the dash switch, and I just don't know about the other.
    Does anyone out there in forum land have a wiring diagram for this, or some knowledge where these wires might go? Thanks for your help.

Larry

You're correct in the wiring size. They are 10# gauge. The motor draws a lot of current. There are 2 wires for up and two for down The power window circuit uses a relay located under the dash or on the fenderwell. With the distance involved from the relay to the tailgate, you might need to use 8# gauge for the supply/control lines to the switches, etc.
    I haven't seen any reference to wiring the tailgate. but
    http://www.studebaker-info.org/svcl/...0/StpwckRK.jpg here is the Avanti wiring schematic

Bob Johnstone

55 President State Sedan
    64 GT Hawk
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

When they tell you to connect the rear window wires to the Main Harness, they assume you have, or have ordered a Power Window Equipped Stationwagon REAR HARNESS, from Dash to taillights, fuel sender AND rear window Harness. [:0]

The rear window relay is mounted on the Left Front Inner Fender.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I "thought" the wiring was: power, ground, one up, one down?

But I don't remember exactly!

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

What do you do with the crank and handle on the tailgate then?

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
          259cid flight o matic

Comment

You have to replace the whole housing and lock, Cyl. and add the switch and harness from the new switch to the motor.

The Parts Catalog spells out the two completely different setups.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

sounds like quite the project

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
              259cid flight o matic

Comment

Working...
              X