No announcement yet.

Studebakers In The Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say S would your mag. have anything on the Thunderbird that was driven by Duke Bentson in the movie?

Comment

A `35 Commander convertible played a prominent role in "The Color Purple". It was owned by SDC member Bob Yale, who recently passed away.

Comment

ah man come on there a few studs in american graffiti

the 1st superman w christopher reeves

a movie called, who wrote the book of love, one of the leads parents owned a 50 or 51 that he dragraced in and necked in

someone told me the other day that theres a 50 or 51 in the new movie, RAy, with jamie fox as ray charles
        \
        studs are in all the cool movie ya just gotta look for em

Comment

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Muppet Movie yet...

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

A bear in his natural habitat.

A Studebaker.

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Muppet Movie yet...

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop

Comment

Well theres the Porky's I and II which had a 2R wrecker and another 2R in the parking lot.
              The made for USA network TV movie, "What the Deaf Man Heard" had James Earl Jones driving a large M-series truck as a local junkman.

Last night watch a program called" Great Performances" on PBS, couple shots of a 2R pickup in the background of the behind the scenes of the making of the "Wild Ones" (Monty Clift, Marylin Monroe, Clark Gable)

The short lived TV series from 2003, Wonderfalls, a 65 Studebaker sedan.

Comment

In the beginning of SERPICO,Al Pacino drives a red Lark.When he is in traffic,you will see a black Lark behind him.If you can sit through a goofy horror movie,called Tremors[and Tremors 2]You will see this man-eating serpant type monster come out of the desert floor,and through the body shell of a C or K ,I don't remember just what the car was[53-55 or Hawk] One of the main characters wears a ball cap from a sports team,I guess- it says 'HAWKS'

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Bob Pattons Avanti on CHIPS Jan. 26, 1978

Comment

In the movie "The Hot Spot", Don Johnson drives a nice black 59 Silver Hawk in quite a few scenes.[8D]

Comment

A MOVIE CALLED (I THINK) "RECKLESS" ABOUT A NERD TYPE THAT BEFRIENDS AN OUTCAST. THE NERD LATER NECKS W/THE POPULAR CHICK IN A BULLET NOSE, AND LATER SMASHES IT UP. LOOK CLOSELY, THEY ARE 2 DIFFERENT CARS (ONE A '50, AND A '51). THE MOVIE CAME OUT SBOUT 15 YRS. AGO, A GOOD FLICK WITH GREAT PERIOD CARS AND GAS STATIONS.
                      WHAT ABOUT "STREETS OF FIRE"; A ROCK AND ROLL SCI-FI FROM ABOUT 20 YRS. AGO? THEY USED A BUNCH OF BULLET NOSE POLICE CARS, AND WRECK SOME TOO!

Comment

I know of a couple of films I have on video that feature Studebakers. In the 1990 SciFi film "Spontaneous Combustion", the main character drives a red 1951 Champion Starlite coupe. Incidentally, that car appeared to have the bullet nose backlighted. Does anyone know if that was a factory option for the '51 Studes? In the 1997 comedy film "Mr. Magoo", the title character drives a red 1951 Commander convertible. Also,there is a scene in the 1986 film "Stand By Me" in which some of the older teenagers are playing chicken with other vehicles on the highway, and one of them is driving a blue 1950 Champion. Those films come to my mind without doing any research, but I'll keep an eye peeled for other Studes in films.

Comment

No factory back lighting of the bullet nose. It is Starlight, not Starlite (sic) for Studebakers.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for setting me straight on that. I was never a great speller. The only way I got through English Comp in high school and college was by having the unabrigded dictionary handy. If you ever get a chance, watch "Spontaneous Combustion" for grins. It's worth watching just to see the Studebaker. The car had obviously been restored and there were other things, such as the radio, that I could tell were not original. The backlighting of the bullet was intriguing. Since it was not a factory option, either the owner rigged it up or something. Does anyone know of any kind of aftermarket kit for backlighting the bullet?
                            quote:Originally posted by studegary

No factory back lighting of the bullet nose. It is Starlight, not Starlite (sic) for Studebakers.

Comment

I wasn't trying to be critical of your spelling ability. I was just trying to set the Studebaker record straight. Many people erroneously call Studebaker Starlights, Starlites (sic). It is Studebaker history that I strive to keep accurate. I am not aware of any kit for back lighting the bullet. I do recall kits to replace the bullet with a third light.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Apparently the owner of the 1951 Champion Starlight Coupe used in "Spontaneous Combustion" had rigged up the backlighting of the bullet. Allbeit non-stock it was an interesting effect. As I said, if any other members get a chance to see the film, it is probably worth watching just to see the restored Studebaker. Also, someone mentioned that there was a Studebaker in the recent film "Ray". I believe that is correct and I believe the car is a 1950 Champion. I base that on seeing a car advertised either on eBay or carsonline. The advertisement stated "just like the car used in the film Ray". For me personally, half the fun of watching older films or films set in a specific time period is seeing the classic cars they used.

Comment

Working...
                                X