A day on the assembly line in 1950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day on the assembly line in 1950

I found this while surfing. Thought it was pretty cool. Ahh...the good old days.

Chuck / Ohio

Hey! is that Leonards car!

ChopStu
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Hey! That's MY car on the top left!![:I] Isn't it just beautiful?! My baby......

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thanks fpr the memories. Pictures like this are goood for the soul.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

Hey! is that Leonards car!

ChopStu
          I think that Leonard's car is a 1951 model.
          EDIT : Thanks for the correction, Bob P. Leonard's car is a 1952. I knew that it wasn't a 1950 as I believe that it was originally a V8. That is why I posted 1951. Without research, I only saw a side picture of Leonard's two door sedan and jumped, in error, on 1951. I don't believe that I have ever seen Leonard's car "in person."

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Leonard Shepherd's Commander is a 1952 model.

As for this photo, look at it carefully. It's the 1950 model year of production, Studebaker's high-water mark for cars produced in one model year.

I've seen this photo before and thought about it: As crowded as those guys are and as many cars as they were trying to produce, I wonder if that was originally one assembly line and they squeezed two rows of production side-by-side just to get the cars built. No one would intentionally design an assembly line with such tight clearance on the far right that would allow doors to be jammed into that post as the cars went by.

(Someone who was there would have to confirm; I was living in suburban Chicago and only 5 years old[)], so didn't get over there to observe anything until 11 years later!) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wonder how much those guys were making an hour, and what they'd think about the current salary info bounced around with all this bailout talk!

Evan Davis
              Prairie Bulletin
              Saskatchewan Chapter
              Prince Albert, Sk
              Evan Davis
              Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

I have a photo of the '50 assembly line that shows the very end of the line before the cars were driven off. There are two lines with about 5-6 feet between them and no columns. There is one portable table in between the lines, and the cars are moving on steel treads. It is very different from this pic, and probably not too much further down the line.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I love photos like this, expecially in color

I think this is the area where the front fenders are being installed. The blue car on the right has no front clip. Note there is a red one behind it and the nose panel is tipped up and some guys are moving it into position from the right. I've read that the front fenders and radiator support with the grill was pre-assembled elsewhere. The blue one on the left appears to have 4 guys holding onto the fenders. The angle of the camera is almost dead on with the hoods so its hard to see them but they are pre-installed and hanging on rods from overhead. I am not as familiar with '50s so don't know if they have the 3 bolts into the A pillar that would be accessed from the wheel-well area. I wonder if there was a guy under the car someplace to put the bolts in [?]

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Leonard Shepherd's Commander is a 1952 model.

As for this photo, look at it carefully. It's the 1950 model year of production, Studebaker's high-water mark for cars produced in one model year.

I've seen this photo before and thought about it: As crowded as those guys are and as many cars as they were trying to produce, I wonder if that was originally one assembly line and they squeezed two rows of production side-by-side just to get the cars built. No one would intentionally design an assembly line with such tight clearance on the far right that would allow doors to be jammed into that post as the cars went by.

(Someone who was there would have to confirm; I was living in suburban Chicago and only 5 years old[)], so didn't get over there to observe anything until 11 years later!) BP
                    I noticed that post, also. But correct me if I'm wrong...in this era didn't the cars go down the assembly line backwards? That would mean they are moving away from us. The door on the blue(?) car was opened after it passed this post. The maroon front clip is being readied to go on the car just barely visible. Behind the big post is the front clip waiting for the blue car on the right. If they were coming forward, it already missed it's front clip!
                    The LIFE magazine article from 1947 also shows side-by-side assembly.

P.S. This has nothing to do with "Which way are they going?"

KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Very possible on the backwards motion, Kurt; there is a blue clip just visible off to the far right that may be for the car with the open door. There's just something about that photo that I don't fully understand. It's way too cramped to be an oridinary assembly line, it would seem.[?] BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Compare the Studebaker assembly line with the Tarrytown, NY Chevrolet assembly line.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I know it really wasn't Leonards, but since he has every picture know to man,[] it would have been fitting that his car was in a factory photo.

Humor is sometimes hard to type.[B)][)]

ChopStu
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fargoguy

I wonder how much those guys were making an hour, and what they'd think about the current salary info bounced around with all this bailout talk!
                            How much you ask?

Best guess would be $2.15 an hour for assemblers.

What would they think about the current salary info bounced around with all this bailout talk?

Probably think is Corporate BS being spread around by Corporate controlled medias.

Maybe someone who actually worked on the assembly line back then will chime in with their view?!?!

Comment

quote:I know it really wasn't Leonards, but since he has every picture know to man, it would have been fitting that his car was in a factory photo.

Humor is sometimes hard to type.

ChopStu
                              Maybe my car was in the paint booth.

Or at the final inspection.

Or on the test track.

Or maybe some hot rodders were looking at it in the showroom!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Working...
                              X