Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Interior color question?

Hey everyone.
    I tried the search function but only found steering wheel colors. Is there anyway to tell what color my dash was originally without the production order? The dash is so faded and cracked up that I cant tell whether it was Chestnut, or Rose Mist? Maybe I could pull an end cap By the door to tell? I found the body color tag behind the Vanity/ Glove box years ago when I bought the car. Its Champagne Gold.

Thanks,
    Gordon

quote:Originally posted by laughinlark

Hey everyone.
    I tried the search function but only found steering wheel colors. Is there anyway to tell what color my dash was originally without the production order? The dash is so faded and cracked up that I cant tell whether it was Chestnut, or Rose Mist?
    This is a 'Chestnut' interior.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig,
      I'll look closer tomorrow. There is a little bit of wind lace left that looks to be darker than yours. I just went out and looked. It was dark outside though.

Gordon

Comment

I think the dash in the Chestnut Interior was pretty much BROWN, not an exact match for the door panels and the windlace in Craig's photo does not look like woven vinyl original to me, but then who knows what was in a Broadcloth Interior car, they were not your common everyday Lark interior!

I would not compare a Vinyl Interior car to this special order Cruiser.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Holy crap, I never knew Stude ever had seats that plush! That's approaching the seats of luxury cars of the period![] I'd heard of and seen "broadcloth", but those look nicer than any I've seen previously[:X]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Gordon: Rose Mist was not an interior color choice, but Chestnut was. Chestnut and Rose Mist look similar in the big scheme of things. There were no "Rose Mist" interior trim components.

The steering wheel's alternate color (besides white) is the car's interior color. If your steering wheel's second color is Chestnut, your dash overlay would have also been Chestnut. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Holy crap, I never knew Stude ever had seats that plush! That's approaching the seats of luxury cars of the period![] I'd heard of and seen "broadcloth", but those look nicer than any I've seen previously[:X]

Robert (Bob) Andrews
              Yes, Bob; that's Broadcloth. Pretty plush, eh? (And you thought the 1965 Ford LTD's famous "pantycloth" had established a new high trim level for low-priced-car upholstery, right?) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

"Pantycloth"? LOL out loud!
                That just might gain more fame than "pistine"!

[img][img]
                Dwain G.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

"Pantycloth"? LOL out loud!
                  That just might gain more fame than "pistine"!

[img][img]
                  Dwain G.
                  [:0] I'm surprised, Dwain; haven't you ever heard of 1965 Ford LTD upholstery being called "pantycloth?" If you have any low-mileage, pistine 1965 Ford LTDs around (must be an LTD; not a Galaxie 500), feel the stuff and see if you don't agree! (I'm sure it's been referred to as such in print long before now; I don't claim naming rights.) BP

Comment

"PANTYCLOTH"!!! Where's that bar of soap??? Honestly, so unlikely were my expectations of such a term from Bob Palma, that my brain read it PantRycloth the first couple of times![)]

And "Broadcloth"! That's gotta be totally UN-PC in this day and age. Girlcloth, Ladycloth, Ms-cloth, femalecloth - anything but the slurious BROADcloth. [:X][:0]

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I had a pistine '65 F*rd Custom 500 years ago. A truly genuine cream puff of a lil ol' lady 4-dr. I remember it's seat coverings looked like an ad for Scotch Tape! Not the tape itlself (the original seat covers were like new), it was the scotch plaid pattern that's associated with their product.
                    I drove that car about 2 weeks before it was broadsi.... er, hit amidship by a Plymouth and sent to a junkyard.[V]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here's a Rose-Mist steering wheel. Notice that they use the darker of the two interior colours used. Kind of a purplish shade. Sorry about the size.[:I] It doesn't show up as well in a smaller picture.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I heard that term applied to that exact car when I was a kid! Wow, what a scandal- Mom was NOT impressed with the term Especially since it lived on up through the Mercs from the 70s[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Just getting home from work. The steering wheel is faded also ,but seem to have the purplish tint to it. The dash does have that brown look to it. The factory label behind the Vanity reads.

W662

Studebaker
                          Body Color Label
                          -------------------------
                          Champagne Gold Enamel BHD

I know its the color. Is W662 the sticker # ? What about BHD at the end of the body color?

Thanks,
                          Gordon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by laughinlark

Just getting home from work. The steering wheel is faded also ,but seem to have the purplish tint to it. The dash does have that brown look to it. The factory label behind the Vanity reads.

W662

Studebaker
                            Body Color Label
                            -------------------------
                            Champagne Gold Enamel BHD

I know its the color. Is W662 the sticker # ? What about BHD at the end of the body color?

Thanks,
                            Gordon
                            Here's a tag I found under the seat in my parts wagon. It's the one with the R.M. interior:

Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I need a good pair of rose mist front door panels for a 63 4 door

Comment

Working...
                              X