Heater blower motor in 61 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater blower motor in 61 Hawk

I have been trying to get my blower motor to work consistantly in my hawk. When I first tested it it was fine. I built my car in the summer and there was no need to use the heat, now that it's 20 degress I need it. My question is are there any universal blower motors I can use in the Studebaker? I am sure this motor is not so unique that no other car used it.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

studelover,I'll be waiting for an answer on this one too. Beautiful car![] What brand are the wheels/covers? I'm still trying to make a wheel choice for mine. [And still waiting for the money to finish the car!![B)]]

Oglesby,Il.
    "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Grounds, grounds, grounds. Make sure you have a good ground on this motor. This is an odd design, with it hanging out on that extension arm, and I have found that they do not ground well. Next, you have to take it apart, to see if it turns. I had one that was locked up, and I tried to free it up, to no avail. All of the Stude vendors can get you replacement motors. Oh, yes, do not paint the fan(ask me how I know).

Comment

On the 62 Hawk , Studebaker used a two speed motor rather than the resistor on the switch.
        As far as I know Sasco still sells the two speed motors and the will fit 12 Volt systems back to 1956 and conversions back to ?
        You will need the 1962 switch . Double check all of this with someone that has done this. Maybe some one can confirm this.

Comment

52 hawk those are kelsey hayes wires and radial tires sold by coker tire company.
          Yes the motor and braket are painted and undercoated, I was afraid that their location would led to rust.

Studebakers forever!
          Studebakers forever!

Comment

Chuck meant that you should not paint the squire cage fan.
            He does not say "why" but i imagine that the paint will come off and plug up the heater core???
            Have the blower motor housing powder coated and get an elephant prophylactic and stretch it over the motor.

Comment

Sorry, I should have stated that it smelled like wet paint for a long time, after it was painted.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

Sorry, I should have stated that it smelled like wet paint for a long time, after it was painted.
                Yeah, I did something similar with the heater in a pop-up camper I restored years ago.

I dreaded camping in cold weather after the first time I fired it up. It took years for the worst of the stench to go away.

Paul

In memory of Boris, the 1950 Land Cruiser project,
                . . . he became a down payment for. . .
                Natasha, the 1955 Speedster project
                I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

I put fans from a 62 Hawk I got from SASCO in both the heater and defrost on my 61 Hawk. To have the two speed work I removed the resister from each switch and left enough of the wire to solder a spade terminal on to it. I then wired both leads to the switch and it works like a charm.

Wayen K.
                  Libby, MT
                  61 Hawk

Comment

This is the blower motor that's in a 1961 hawk, I have a counter guy that has a heater motor book with illustration of motors and the size of the "D" shaft I will have him give me the right motor number and record it, I have seen this book twice and almost know what motor would work perfect without drilling any holes.

Studebakers forever!
                    Studebakers forever!

Comment

What a stroke of luck, this motor comes out of a parts car that I have, this motors runs great, smoothe. I guess it's a no brainer it goes in

Studebakers forever!
                      Studebakers forever!

Comment

Nice car !.......Now I know what mine would look like in red.[8D]

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                        Lewisville,NC
                        1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                        Lewisville,NC

Comment

Hi Ken, Not red but LT Persimmon effect It has an automatic, am/fm radio, hidden antenna, 4bbl,RCcam, runs like a bat out of u-know-what. The car is now dialed in and running cooler actually maintains a temp of 170 now(I was very worried) I cruzed the car a couple of days ago and it is a pleasure to drive. I just can't take all the crowds that gather when I stop.[:0] I am so grateful that Studebaker put their name on the side of the car.Now if I can just get this passing gear to engage I think it has to do with the spacer that I installed with the motor and trans, it did not have one to start with.I have an appointment with the trans builder next week.

Studebakers forever!
                          Studebakers forever!

Comment

I made the switch, It was hard to get the blower cage off one shaft on to the other however after some prying and heating it came off. I then made sure the other heater motor worked well, I ran it continuosly for 15 min. I now will try to trust used parts, installed everything and had it replaced in 3 hours. The heat is very good now and the motor is quiet[]tested the removed motor and heard the bushings (junk) I think I understand how the heater works now, when I close the vent door all the heat comes through the floor open the vent door and the heat is divided. The heat is very intense now.Now on to that heat riser.

Studebakers forever!
                            Studebakers forever!

Comment

I think I understand how the heater works now, when I close the vent door all the heat comes through the floor open the vent door and the heat is divided.

Uh....open the outer door, close the inner door, the heater heats the outside are as it comes into the car.
                              Open the inner door, close the outer door, turn on the fan, the heater heats the air in the car.
                              Open both doors, outside air comes in, some goes to the heater some goes into the car.

At least thru '55 it works that way.

[edit typo]

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                              Tom Bredehoft
                              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                              (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
                              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                              All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                              X